busybee44
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am applying to Oxford after receiving my A-Level results last week (so having a gap year). My situation is as follows:

Applying with achieved:
Biology: B (retaking!)
English Literature: B (getting remarked as I was close to an A)
Geography: A
Physics: D (yikes...I know)
EPQ: D (getting remarked and possibly retaking)

GCSEs: 5A*s 5As 3Bs Merit

My issue is with physics: I hated it and struggled with it from the beginning but my dad never let me drop it; regardless of my lack of ability.
I’d like to apply for Human Sciences as I love the sound of
it, but I’m not sure how my A-level grades will fare. I
hope with the combo of remarking/retaking that I can achieve at least AAA, but will the D in Physics impact my
application? It’s my fourth A-Level, and I know they only consider your top three, but it’s Oxford, so...
I’ve considered the risk of omitting it from UCAS- but i’m not sure how likely it’d be that I would be found out!
Honest help appreciated. Is it even worth applying?
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Oxford Mum, would you be able to help us out here? :hugs:
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Oxford Mum, would you be able to help us out here? :hugs:
RazzzBerries
busybee44

I am sorry, Razzz, but I am trying to curtail my TSR work a bit, because I am having personal problems. I am afraid I tried to go cold turkey, but I have only lasted a day. I am sure there are many people who have a much better knowledge of the courses than I, such as Brasenose admin. However, since it's you...

I don't know much about Human Sciences, despite the fact that I think the course sounds fascinating. Please see the Human Sciences Oxford subject page:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...human-sciences

BusyBee, there's no pulling the wool over your eyes, this course needs A level grades of AAA, and this is only the start...

You will have to get a decent mark in the TSA admissions test, too, to be granted an interview. You would have to spend the year also engaging with your subject and reading a lot of books/doing extra research in an area you are interested in, also being able to cope with the interview by practising some interview questions

http://apply.oxfordsu.org/courses/hu...es/interviews/

Youtube interview:
https://hub.crimsoneducation.org/bro...-human-science

https://sites.google.com/site/oxbrid...human-sciences

Before you do anything else, you will need to make sure you get those A level grades.
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
RazzzBerries
busybee44

I am sorry, Razzz, but I am trying to curtail my TSR work a bit, because I am having personal problems. I am afraid I tried to go cold turkey, but I have only lasted a day. I am sure there are many people who have a much better knowledge of the courses than I, such as Brasenose admin. However, since it's you...
I was told you were on a hiatus by harrysbar and kind of tagged you in with my fingers crossed.

Sorry about the personal problems :console:. Take all the time you need away from TSR, but let us know if you need anything. :hugs:

Thanks for the help as well :heart:
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
I was told you were on a hiatus by harrysbar and kind of tagged you in with my fingers crossed.

Sorry about the personal problems :console:. Take all the time you need away from TSR, but let us know if you need anything. :hugs:

Thanks for the help as well :heart:
Bad news travels fast, dear Razzzie! Sorry I can't reply more fully, as I don't know much about Human Sciences.

On the positive side, one of my son's friends has promised me a chapter on history, and I have emailed him my requirements tonight...

Missing you and all of my TSR friends, your support means more to me than you'll ever know. :heart::hello: (me waving goodbye...)
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Bad news travels fast, dear Razzzie! Sorry I can't reply more fully, as I don't know much about Human Sciences.

On the positive side, one of my son's friends has promised me a chapter on history, and I have emailed him my requirements tonight...

Missing you and all of my TSR friends, your support means more to me than you'll ever know. :heart::hello: (me waving goodbye...)
Afraid so
Ah, don't worry! That post was so helpful, and I'm not even the one looking for advice! :lol:

Ahh cool! Hopefully we get to see that soon. :yes:

Come back soon :hugs:
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by busybee44)
I am applying to Oxford after receiving my A-Level results last week (so having a gap year). My situation is as follows:

Applying with achieved:
Biology: B (retaking!)
English Literature: B (getting remarked as I was close to an A)
Geography: A
Physics: D (yikes...I know)
EPQ: D (getting remarked and possibly retaking)

GCSEs: 5A*s 5As 3Bs Merit

My issue is with physics: I hated it and struggled with it from the beginning but my dad never let me drop it; regardless of my lack of ability.
Sorry but Oxford will not accept retakes so you need to look at other unis.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks for this Scotney I wasn’t aware of that nugget of information
busybee44
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Scotney)
Sorry but Oxford will not accept retakes so you need to look at other unis.
I wasn’t aware of this either. I actually know quite a few people who managed to get in after retaking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
9%
Disagree (5)
5%
Neither agree or disagree (31)
31%
Agree (40)
40%
Strongly Agree (15)
15%

Watched Threads