Should I change school to do my a levels Watch

Oliverben5672
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi, I have just received my gcse results and am now faced with the decision of where to go for sixth form. My current school is not necessarily the best academically but saying that I managed to achieve straight 8s and 9s. The potential new school has a reputation for being very good especially at maths and they’re results are certainly better than my current school.
However, I cannot help but feel my current school offers benefits in the way I know the staff and the effort they put into helping students. I do feel very happy here. I am also not the most socially inclined person and I am worried that a new environment with only some friends and no teachers that I know could be a mistake. I’m really not sure what to do.
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance
Simbasoul
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You have done really well in a school you say is not very good - so something must have gone right! There is a lot of positives of staying where you are happy and the staff know you - it can be very daunting taking on A levels which are a lot harder than GCSEs and trying to fit in to a new place.
smae
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It sounds like your current school will be able to provide you with the support and guidance you need during sixth form. That being said, I also find it understandable if you feel attracted to another school because of their reputation in academic subjects like maths.

As A-levels are said to be more challenging, I think maybe you could ask yourself if you'll feel more stable and content by staying at your current school because of the effort that you feel they put in, or if going to your other school choice would make you feel more secure academic and social wise.

Also, if you do decide to go to another school and realise it's not for you, maybe you could ask your current school to move back for sixth form?

I hope this helped , well done for your amazing GCSE results!
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by smae)
It sounds like your current school will be able to provide you with the support and guidance you need during sixth form. That being said, I also find it understandable if you feel attracted to another school because of their reputation in academic subjects like maths.

As A-levels are said to be more challenging, I think maybe you could ask yourself if you'll feel more stable and content by staying at your current school because of the effort that you feel they put in, or if going to your other school choice would make you feel more secure academic and social wise.

Also, if you do decide to go to another school and realise it's not for you, maybe you could ask your current school to move back for sixth form?

I hope this helped , well done for your amazing GCSE results!
I agree- maybe try the other school, but see if theres the option to go back after the first couple of weeks if it doesnt work out.
Oliverben5672
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks to all of you, I really do appreciate the help and the idea of trying one for a few weeks seems like a solid idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.8%
Disagree (4)
7.84%
Neither agree or disagree (14)
27.45%
Agree (18)
35.29%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.61%

Watched Threads