The Student Room Group

Bullied round the office

At one point, they were not giving any help for any tasks..

One of them snapped at me so badly that they felt uncomfortable. The other said that no one will promote me. One said that they didn’t care about my condition is effecting my job. They were snapping at me so much to the point where the director got involved. They eased of somewhat but the manager makes jokes about firing me, snaps and speaks condescendingly to me. When I was diagnosed with a serious condition, he said I hadn’t been diagnosed with anything and was looking at my drugs at Wikipedia. They still snap occasionaly around the office

Recently, there has been an incident where someone made an accusation that I was trying to get someone in trouble. I confronted her and said that she shouldn’t been looking at personal data around the office. Her office bestie sat at the desk and changed her desk background private & confidential and started taking pictures and sending through her WhatsApp. She likes content on Facebook that says "When you and your office bestie hate the same person" which is a reference to me.
She doesn’t do anything and just flirts with this one guy. They looked at private and confidential data, but they promoted him and collectively the team treated me like garbage and put the blame on me when I complained.

What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can anyone help?
How old are you and why do you allow this to happen? Ffs your office is toxic. Get out now while you can or develop a stoic approach - don't give a fork and just mind your own business
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
How old are you and why do you allow this to happen? Ffs your office is toxic. Get out now while you can or develop a stoic approach - don't give a fork and just mind your own business

I am 32...

They promoted this gum but they didn't tell anyone of a similar grade that there was an opportunity going
Reply 4
What should I do?
Reply 5
What should I do?

You should hand in your notice and put in complaints about all of them before you leave. Make sure you talk to your senior manager about your line manager’s behaviour. If you stay then gather evidence of their discriminatory behaviour/bullying and file a suit against the company
leave if it's financially viable
Have you considered contacting HR or a union?
Leave the office, quit your job and go travelling. Work is not for everyone. I'm a ****ing loser in my own workplace, manager wants to fire me because he sees me as a weirdo.

People are just weird in this country, i don't know what it is. If you worked, say in an american setting, it is much better
Reply 9
Original post by Quiet Benin
Leave the office, quit your job and go travelling. Work is not for everyone. I'm a ****ing loser in my own workplace, manager wants to fire me because he sees me as a weirdo.

People are just weird in this country, i don't know what it is. If you worked, say in an american setting, it is much better

I agree, it almost feels like high school with cliques of people chatting crap about people and doing no work. No wonder people in France and Germany do the same work the British do in four days as opposed to five
Original post by Bazyli
You should hand in your notice and put in complaints about all of them before you leave. Make sure you talk to your senior manager about your line manager’s behaviour. If you stay then gather evidence of their discriminatory behaviour/bullying and file a suit against the company

Original post by Bazyli
I agree, it almost feels like high school with cliques of people chatting crap about people and doing no work. No wonder people in France and Germany do the same work the British do in four days as opposed to five

I don't have they money..
Reply 11

You’ll have to apply now then and leave once you’ve secured a new job
I am 32...

They promoted this gum but they didn't tell anyone of a similar grade that there was an opportunity going

Are you male or female? What do you do in the office?
Original post by JustAWxnderer
leave if it's financially viable

Why did I go to university? Why did I work so hard? Was this my reward??
Reply 14
Why did I go to university? Why did I work so hard? Was this my reward??

Why are you asking us? We didn’t decide this for you. If you don’t like it then you’re going to have to quit and find a good job in a better environment

Would you like to reinvent yourself then? Change up your personality?

I remember when i was a waiter, i was constantly bullied by the managers and foreigners. One day i lost my temper and turned into Gordon Ramsay (Hospitality is very hard). I lost my temper, threw plates at colleagues and shouted until i had a sore throat. After that people started respecting me or fearing me... I'm not saying do what i do but show a tough skin and not a timid behaviour.

Working under pressure could also work? Your behaviour would change. I don't know what industry you are at but if you really can't stand the bullying you should go. Perhaps do a temporary job in street fundraising or sales until u get the right job
Original post by Bazyli

i hate the office politics/culture. I'm currently working in mental health but instead of helping our residents with mental health issues, i spend 8 miserable hours in the office looking a like a piece of **** doing nothing. Because the job is so disorganised thanks to the manager.

I wanna travel properly or just get drunk all the time, @Anonymous if you know your not fit for work like me, there's nothing wrong doing absolutely nothing for the rest of your life
Seems like you just want a rant to someone.

A *****y office that is very clicky is nothing new.

What is it you want?
report it. and tell them you will sue if they don't take action
At one point, they were not giving any help for any tasks..

One of them snapped at me so badly that they felt uncomfortable. The other said that no one will promote me. One said that they didn’t care about my condition is effecting my job. They were snapping at me so much to the point where the director got involved. They eased of somewhat but the manager makes jokes about firing me, snaps and speaks condescendingly to me. When I was diagnosed with a serious condition, he said I hadn’t been diagnosed with anything and was looking at my drugs at Wikipedia. They still snap occasionaly around the office

Recently, there has been an incident where someone made an accusation that I was trying to get someone in trouble. I confronted her and said that she shouldn’t been looking at personal data around the office. Her office bestie sat at the desk and changed her desk background private & confidential and started taking pictures and sending through her WhatsApp. She likes content on Facebook that says "When you and your office bestie hate the same person" which is a reference to me.
She doesn’t do anything and just flirts with this one guy. They looked at private and confidential data, but they promoted him and collectively the team treated me like garbage and put the blame on me when I complained.

What should I do?

Your workplace sounds like a very toxic environment and you should leave as soon as possible (given financial status etc).

I have a few ideas that you might be able to do (though I understand some may not be possible and as I don't know them some may have an adverse affect - use your own judgment)

- Confront the bullies. Tell them how their actions affect you and make you feel. Tell them to stop. At best they'll stop bulling you and apologise. At worst the continue but you know they are acting maliciously and it isn't just a joke for them: they have the intent of harming you (maybe you could confront them by email or something to have evidence of this).

-Tell HR. Part of their job it to stop this kind of this happening. The aforementioned 'evidence' may be useful here. If the HR department work properly the bulling will stop or the bullies will be fired.

-Tell the director. As the director has previously been involved the bullies should be reprimanded for the continuation of the bullying.

-Contact a union. You have the right to feel safe in your workplace. A union will help fight for this right if it isn't being given to you.

-Look for another job and escape. You don't deserve to be in a job like this. In a future job interview you may want to ask about the HR department.

Quick Reply

Latest