arfredgarcia2
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
which one should i choose? I like both subjects equally, doing maths, further maths, and physics also
Sannah 21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What I can tell u about biology and chemistry is a lot:
Learning Biology is basically about definitions and just learning lots and lots of key points. There are many ‘application’ questions in exams which’re the hardest however as long as you do extra reading and know all the content, you should manage. They are a ‘practise makes perfect’ kind of question so be patient. Make lots of fact sheets and I recommend flashcards and glossaries for the definitions (biology and chemistry) - they’re easy marks!
Chemistry in my opinion is harder; it is much less content however the things you do learn are complicated and can often be easily changed in an exam. There is a lot of maths and you will need to learn the equations for both subjects - those are also easy marks.
Sannah 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I did Bio and Chem A levels (can't comment on computer science tho!) so hopefully I can help.
Regarding maths, biology generally contains some but it's nothing too intensive and honestly you could easily flunk all the maths in the papers and still get a great grade (though I don't reccomend this haha). You'll mainly find them in application questions and there are one or two equations to learn throughout but again it's not that bad. Chemistry however is very maths heavy but don't let it scare you. I HATE maths with a passion and I do struggle with it but it was the kind of maths where you would get the hang of it after a lot of practice and you'd come up with methods for how to do it every time.

As for general advice? Biology is very content heavy so plan a way to get the content in your head (I emptied my local wilkos of flashcards) and while chemistry isn't as bad for content I found flashcards extremely useful here too.

Practice makes perfect! Once you're a chunk through the course start doing past papers. Markschemes can be quite picky so it allows you to learn how to answer the way they want you to. Past questions also help with application questions in biology. People are notorious for doing poor on application and data handling questions but if you do enough practice you begin to see they're all basically the same just in different contexts.

Revis your practicals. I know they may not seem important but you do get asked questions on them, especially in paper 3 for both bio and chem. Crack them down and you're sorted for those papers!
Lostx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Biology is by far the best.
Sannah 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The last two posts I copy and pasted of wat other ppl posted on another chat

On YouTube watch Unjaded Jade and her experiences with doing Bio and Chem a level
Last edited by Sannah 21; 3 weeks ago
cathasatail
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It depends on a whole range of factors- what do you want to do in the future, what do you enjoy, what are you good at?

Generally, I found that Biology was more interesting (I love human biology, so that side of the course was fascinating) and I found that the exam questions tended to be harder (depends on exam boards to some extent). As I quite like "logical" subjects/questions, Chemistry was easier in that sense but I felt that there was far more to remember.
arfredgarcia2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sannah 21)
The last two posts I copy and pasted of wat other ppl posted on another chat

On YouTube watch Unjaded Jade and her experiences with doing Bio and Chem a level
thank you!!
Sannah 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by arfredgarcia2)
thank you!!
It’s really helpful and np!
arfredgarcia2
Rep:
?
(Original post by cathasatail)
It depends on a whole range of factors- what do you want to do in the future, what do you enjoy, what are you good at?

Generally, I found that Biology was more interesting (I love human biology, so that side of the course was fascinating) and I found that the exam questions tended to be harder (depends on exam boards to some extent). As I quite like "logical" subjects/questions, Chemistry was easier in that sense but I felt that there was far more to remember
what aspects of biology/chemistry were the most challenging?
cathasatail
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by arfredgarcia2)
what aspects of biology/chemistry were the most challenging?
Mmm, good question. It's been an awfully long time since I've thought about them, but I'll give it a shot!

The hardest parts of chemistry (AQA, new spec from 2015- we were the first year) (for me) were the amount of content (although I suppose this is a given for any A-level, regardless of subject) and the calculations. Although I think of myself as a logical person who is quite capable when it comes to mathematical problems, the various equations and calculations required for chemistry do require some getting used to. Apart from that, just memorising the various interactions and reactions that occur, various colour changes, a variety of reagents used in different situations, etc- they're relatively easy concepts to learn but I found it quite challenging to memorise them all.

As for Biology (OCR, new spec from 2015- again, we were the first year), I found the topics looking at plant biology to be the most challenging. Although I appreciate its importance, I find plant biology to be one of the most soul destroying topics on this good Earth. As someone who relishes in the study of human biology I didn't have much interest or enthusiasm for areas such as photosynthesis, the transport systems within plants, biodiversity (a bit wishy-washy I found; it could have been renamed "the study of international treaties on protecting plants and animals" and the content wouldn't have been affected), It's not so much that the content is difficult to understand, it's just that I had a degree of apathy for half of the subject (which isn't exactly conducive to studying)....

So what I'm saying is that (as with any A-level) if you want to do well then just dive straight in and commit yourself to that subject for 2 years. But please be careful: my first experience of burn-out was with A-level biology
Jamie_1712
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I loved them both equally, though I hated maths A level with a passion. Honestly I’d recommend just sticking with 3 subjects as if you spread yourself too thin with 4 you’ll kick yourself if you don’t get the grades and you’ll have to sacrifice an awful lot in year 13. If you’re insistent on doing 4, I’d say chemistry is the better mix with your other subjects and I also found all of it interesting, whereas there were a few very dull biology topics. Also chemistry has a lot less content which will be more manageable especially if you’re doing 4 subjects. This is of course only my opinion.
arfredgarcia2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jamie_1712)
I loved them both equally, though I hated maths A level with a passion. Honestly I’d recommend just sticking with 3 subjects as if you spread yourself too thin with 4 you’ll kick yourself if you don’t get the grades and you’ll have to sacrifice an awful lot in year 13. If you’re insistent on doing 4, I’d say chemistry is the better mix with your other subjects and I also found all of it interesting, whereas there were a few very dull biology topics. Also chemistry has a lot less content which will be more manageable especially if you’re doing 4 subjects. This is of course only my opinion.
(Original post by cathasatail)
Mmm, good question. It's been an awfully long time since I've thought about them, but I'll give it a shot!

The hardest parts of chemistry (AQA, new spec from 2015- we were the first year) (for me) were the amount of content (although I suppose this is a given for any A-level, regardless of subject) and the calculations. Although I think of myself as a logical person who is quite capable when it comes to mathematical problems, the various equations and calculations required for chemistry do require some getting used to. Apart from that, just memorising the various interactions and reactions that occur, various colour changes, a variety of reagents used in different situations, etc- they're relatively easy concepts to learn but I found it quite challenging to memorise them all.

As for Biology (OCR, new spec from 2015- again, we were the first year), I found the topics looking at plant biology to be the most challenging. Although I appreciate its importance, I find plant biology to be one of the most soul destroying topics on this good Earth. As someone who relishes in the study of human biology I didn't have much interest or enthusiasm for areas such as photosynthesis, the transport systems within plants, biodiversity (a bit wishy-washy I found; it could have been renamed "the study of international treaties on protecting plants and animals" and the content wouldn't have been affected), It's not so much that the content is difficult to understand, it's just that I had a degree of apathy for half of the subject (which isn't exactly conducive to studying)....

So what I'm saying is that (as with any A-level) if you want to do well then just dive straight in and commit yourself to that subject for 2 years. But please be careful: my first experience of burn-out was with A-level biology
thank you for the advice!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University