Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys, so I'm starting university in a few weeks and I honestly feel terrified, is that normal? I'm already freaking out about the workload and asking myself will I be able to do it. Can anyone help?!
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys, so I'm starting university in a few weeks and I honestly feel terrified, is that normal? I'm already freaking out about the workload and asking myself will I be able to do it. Can anyone help?!
You'll be fine. You get eased into it in first year.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
You'll be fine. You get eased into it in first year.
What course did you study?
cathasatail
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yes, it's completely normal. I was personally absolutely terrified just before starting. However, a week into the course I began to feel far more comfortable. I'm now in second year (going into third year in September) and I'm having the time of my life!
-Don't worry about workload- worrying before you've been set any kind of assignment to do won't change anything. It can be a steep learning curve but everyone is on the same road and your university/course should provide you with plenty of support to make that curve as manageable as possible
Last edited by cathasatail; 4 weeks ago
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What course did you study?
Forensic psychology, I'll be starting my final year in next month
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cathasatail)
Yes, it's completely normal. I was personally absolutely terrified just before starting. However, a week into the course I began to feel far more comfortable. I'm now in second year (going into third year in September) and I'm having the time of my life!
-Don't worry about workload- worrying before you've been set any kind of assignment to do won't change anything. It can be a steep learning curve but everyone is on the same road and your university/course should provide you with plenty of support to make that curve as manageable as possible
What are you studying?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Forensic psychology, I'll be starting my final year in next month
That sounds cool
Bangz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That sounds cool
Wbu OP?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Bangz)
Wbu OP?
I'll be starting Business
cathasatail
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What are you studying?
Biomedical Science (BSc)
I applied for medicine initially and was rather miffed when rejection came. However, I ended up going to my top choice of university and in hindsight Biomed has turned out to be far more preferable, from a personal and professional development perspective, as opposed to going straight into medicine.

Regardless of the course, it can be incredibly intimidating going into a new environment (not helped in the slightest by being more of an introvert than an extrovert). But as I say, after a week or two you tend to settle in quite nicely!
Bangz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cathasatail)
Biomedical Science (BSc)
I applied for medicine initially and was rather miffed when rejection came. However, I ended up going to my top choice of university and in hindsight Biomed has turned out to be far more preferable, from a personal and professional development perspective, as opposed to going straight into medicine.

Regardless of the course, it can be incredibly intimidating going into a new environment (not helped in the slightest by being more of an introvert than an extrovert). But as I say, after a week or two you tend to settle in quite nicely!
Oh, I am starting med this September. Looking at the timetable from last terrified me. What I really scared of is being exposed for being not smart enough for med.
cathasatail
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Bangz)
Oh, I am starting med this September. Looking at the timetable from last terrified me. What I really scared of is being exposed for being not smart enough for med.
Oh congratulations, by the way!
At my university the content is very similar for the first year (and part of second year) between Biomed and Medicine, so I can sympathise to some extent with what at first seems like an onslaught of work (you get used to it very very quickly).

As for the "imposter syndrome" feelings, I'm sure we all get them at some point- I certainly did (and occasionally still do, now and again)! From my experience university tends to be more about commitment and dedication rather than being "smart" as such. What I mean by that is that if you dedicate yourself to you work and put the effort in, then you will do exceptionally well; regardless of any previous indicators of being "smart" (such as GCSE/A-Level grades, etc). You'll have moments of thinking that other people might be better than you in certain areas, but you have got to keep reminding yourself that it's your degree, not theirs, and that those who think of themselves as smart tend to be more prone to complacency and apathy.

"A smart man only believes half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half"
DrBin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
studied accountancy - it starts off pretty similar to business.
most of first year will be spent learning fundamentals. For example I had a maths for business and economics class - it started literally with BIDMAS. i.e. the university lecturer who was qualified to teach most of a maths degree was teaching us how to multiply. it went through quickly but still infuriating. it only got about as difficult as C2 double differentiation for turning points and then applying that to margins - i.e. how much of a product should we producing.

there was also statistics for business- eventually going up to a bit of S3 standard if you did further maths - that I did have to pay attention to. There was basic economics. marketing and strategy, basics of accounting.

If you want to make yourself comfortable, then you can most definitely find your module lists for your degree, you can probably find some information about it.

Also it should be noted that most business courses - there is only about 12 hours of contact time per week, unless you're at somewhere like LSE or LBS. The amount of course content covered is roughly the same, just harder. The difference is disciplining yourself to learn it on your own time. At a level you may have had 2-3 lessons to hammer in an important concept - but at university you get an information dump, a walk through, one or two practical examples in a tutorial / seminar and then if you're lucky - practice questions. Its up to you to make sure you know your stuff for the exam.

The one good thing is that because its one lecturer doing most of it for these types of modules, the exam questions are normally pretty based on seminar questions or previous years. Similarly, you know what you're getting examined on - so preparation is easy, if you prepare yourself correctly.

First year's a breeze if you did maths and business studies at a level. for stuff you dont inherently know or you didnt see in alevel; then I always followed the lay out of going to lectures, organising the notes, going to seminar, creating personalised pages to remember core ideas - then maybe a week or 2 later doing practice questions normally given or found in reading material. A few weeks later I could re-do seminar questions because i forgot the answers.

Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (9)
8.91%
Disagree (5)
4.95%
Neither agree or disagree (32)
31.68%
Agree (40)
39.6%
Strongly Agree (15)
14.85%

Watched Threads