monsixo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I've pretty much already decided to apply to Oxford, but I'm not a 100% sure. Prove me wrong, tell me why cambridge is better? I'm aware that both unis are alike but still
ArcticChimera
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's completely subject-specific in my eyes. I was, at one point, applying to Cambridge to do Philosophy purely because at Oxford it only offered Philosophy in the context of a combined degree, and the closest to what I wanted was a Phil-Theology degree which didn't appeal to me one bit. I had the predicted grades to go to Cambridge (A*A*A) but I would probably have opted for the marginally lower grade requirements of AAA at Oxford (for my course anyway) because I saw little difference in the 2 unis.

Reputation-wise, they're the same pretty much. Oxford is only going to be superior in the eyes of Oxford-goers and vice-versa for Cambridge. Depending on your course, I'm presuming you probably have if you're fixed on Oxford now, but do a little more research on student satisfaction in the subject at either uni (assuming the exact same course is offered at both). I've been to both and perhaps I had a preference to Cambridge as a place, but again, that's 100% subjective (I mean, they're both super lovely places, let's be honest).

It's where you see yourself contently living for 3/4 years at the end of the day!
monsixo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ArcticChimera)
It's completely subject-specific in my eyes. I was, at one point, applying to Cambridge to do Philosophy purely because at Oxford it only offered Philosophy in the context of a combined degree, and the closest to what I wanted was a Phil-Theology degree which didn't appeal to me one bit. I had the predicted grades to go to Cambridge (A*A*A) but I would probably have opted for the marginally lower grade requirements of AAA at Oxford (for my course anyway) because I saw little difference in the 2 unis.

Reputation-wise, they're the same pretty much. Oxford is only going to be superior in the eyes of Oxford-goers and vice-versa for Cambridge. Depending on your course, I'm presuming you probably have if you're fixed on Oxford now, but do a little more research on student satisfaction in the subject at either uni (assuming the exact same course is offered at both). I've been to both and perhaps I had a preference to Cambridge as a place, but again, that's 100% subjective (I mean, they're both super lovely places, let's be honest).

It's where you see yourself contently living for 3/4 years at the end of the day!
Yeah that's the main reason I chose Oxford - I checked the league tables for my subject which is psychology and it turned out to be the best course with I believe most satisfaction from students or at least better than cambridge which was actually 4th. But I also think that the psy course in cambridge is more flexible cause it allows you to choose some of your modules even from the first year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
11.11%
Disagree (3)
8.33%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.78%
Agree (11)
30.56%
Strongly Agree (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads