The Student Room Group

I know this is stupid: I hate gcse chem, should I do it for a level?

Ok, so for gcse i absolutely hated chemistry, not only did I hate it, I was also very bad at it. However, People who have done a level chem say that its extreamely logical (and imo gcse felt like just memorising reactions)
(eg. metal oxide + acid ---> soluable salt). Also I loved maths and physics GCSE and im doing them for a level (but i hate the maths in chem). The problem is my only other option is biology, but thats more wordy (and im more mathematical), so should I do biology or chemistry for a level. Btw I LIKED biology at gcse but I didnt LOVE it.
Original post by Azimbrook1
Ok, so for gcse i absolutely hated chemistry, not only did I hate it, I was also very bad at it. However, People who have done a level chem say that its extreamely logical (and imo gcse felt like just memorising reactions)
(eg. metal oxide + acid ---> soluable salt). Also I loved maths and physics GCSE and im doing them for a level (but i hate the maths in chem). The problem is my only other option is biology, but thats more wordy (and im more mathematical), so should I do biology or chemistry for a level. Btw I LIKED biology at gcse but I didnt LOVE it.

I’d say if you hated the whole rote learning reactions of gcse then a level will be even worse if I’m honest. At least with gcse you could get away with just being bad at that one topic. At a level there’s too many rote learning things. Namely colours and most of the organic stuff. I liked chemistry at gcse but by a level I wasn’t enjoying it so that’s where my views comes from. I found there to be too much stuff you were told to “just learn” because the reasoning behind it was far too complicated for a level
Reply 2
Original post by Snoozinghamster
I’d say if you hated the whole rote learning reactions of gcse then a level will be even worse if I’m honest. At least with gcse you could get away with just being bad at that one topic. At a level there’s too many rote learning things. Namely colours and most of the organic stuff. I liked chemistry at gcse but by a level I wasn’t enjoying it so that’s where my views comes from. I found there to be too much stuff you were told to “just learn” because the reasoning behind it was far too complicated for a level

so are you advising me to do biology? but doesn't th at have more to rote memorise?
Reply 3
No, you definitely shouldn’t feel conditioned into taking chemistry a level if you hated it at GCSE. If you mentioned that you wanted to go into chemistry, medicine or biomedical science or something then there would be a problem. Biology and physics go well together as well, so you can do biology, physics and maths. Or even try a different subject like psychology or geography.
Reply 4
so are you advising me to do biology? but doesn't th at have more to rote memorise?

also, did you do new spec?
Reply 5
(eg. metal oxide acid ---> soluable salt). Also I loved maths and physics GCSE and im doing them for a level (but i hate the maths in chem). The problem is my only other option is biology, but thats more wordy (and im more mathematical), so should I do biology or chemistry for a level. Btw I LIKED biology at gcse but I didnt LOVE it.

If you absolutely hated chemistry at GCSE and weren’t that strong at it, I would highly recommend not taking it. A-levels are much more challenging and require a genuine interest and motivation for what you’re studying. People find chemistry particularly hard, someone in my class got an 8 at GCSE and really enjoys it yet is struggling to achieve a C grade. So I would advise against it.

Why is bio your only other option? It sounds like you may be more suited to perhaps studying further maths or economics, if they’re available to you. If you don’t like the maths in chemistry and hated the subject in general, I would recommend you choose biology over it if they’re your only two options.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by lemmens
If you absolutely hated chemistry at GCSE and weren’t that strong at it, I would highly recommend not taking it. A-levels are much more challenging and require a genuine interest and motivation for what you’re studying. People find chemistry particularly hard, someone in my class got an 8 at GCSE and really enjoys it yet is struggling to achieve a C grade. So I would advice against it.

Why is bio your only other option? It sounds like you may be more suited to perhaps studying further maths or economics, if they’re available to you. If you don’t like the maths in chemistry and hated the subject in general, I would recommend you choose biology over it if they’re your only two options.

because I don't enjoy anything else, and I didn't get the grades for FM (due to mitigating circumstances), and I did economics at GCSE and I found it boring and kinda hard to get my head around
because I don't enjoy anything else, and I didn't get the grades for FM (due to mitigating circumstances), and I did economics at GCSE and I found it boring and kinda hard to get my head around

Computer science?
Definitely not. I made the mistake of picking a subject I didn’t really like for a levels and that showed in my final grades. The two subjects I did like, I did really well in and the one I didn’t like, I basically flopped it

I did new spec.

I wouldn’t say to do biology if you aren’t interested in that either. You spend 2 years doing a levels and that’s still quite a long time to be doing subjects you don’t like or struggle with. Why is biology your only other option. Surely you have more than just 4 subjects to choose between (or are these your 4 favourites, Depend on course and uni or other future plans as well though) if it’s between those two and you like biology that still seems wiser than doing chemistry if you don’t like it! (I will say though I may be biased in my hatred for chemistry and I didn’t do biology but chemistry was one of the things that made sixth form hell)

So you could have got the grades for further? If you were getting 8/9 grades all year round, perhaps you could talk to your school and see if something can be worked out.

Otherwise, I would recommend biology then as it seems like the best option here. Although I don’t think it’s awfully wise to do an A-level in anything you’re not truly passionate and motivated for. I think another user mentioned computer science which might fit nicely? Or maybe you could try something new like psychology?
Original post by lemmens
So you could have got the grades for further? If you were getting 8/9 grades all year round, perhaps you could talk to your school and see if something can be worked out.

Otherwise, I would recommend biology then as it seems like the best option here. Although I don’t think it’s awfully wise to do an A-level in anything you’re not truly passionate and motivated for. I think another user mentioned computer science which might fit nicely? Or maybe you could try something new like psychology?

but I hate essay subjects, and psychology is quiet essay based, also, the cs teachers might be ****
but I hate essay subjects, and psychology is quiet essay based, also, the cs teachers might be ****

What were your GCSE grades? Could you not do Maths, Further Maths and Physics?
Original post by Quick-use
What were your GCSE grades? Could you not do Maths, Further Maths and Physics?

no, i didnt get the grades for fm :frown: (due to mitigating circumstances)
no, i didnt get the grades for fm :frown: (due to mitigating circumstances)

What were your other GCSE grades? It could help (us) recommend you an appropriate A level.

They might be? They also might be really good!! I’d try with further maths because if you’re normally a high grade student in maths, it should hopefully be okay. Otherwise, try computer science. Perhaps you could start with 4 subjects and then drop whichever you’re enjoying the least.

Quick Reply

Latest