BRH123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I hate writing about myself so I’m definitely not doing a personal essay but I wanna do a short story for my exam but I need ideas on what it should be about. Has anyone got any ideas?
What did you do if you did your national 5 English
(Nationals are Scottish education levels)
Aaron_0610
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello,

I did National 5 English and got an A, to my surprise a few years ago. Unfortunately Higher didn't go the same way ended up getting a D due to a bad teacher.

In National 5 I did a personal essay because I had something very meaningful to me that I could write about, however, neither is easier than the other but marking on short stories is more rigorous because you need to consider plot and how to end the story or if it's a first chapter how to finish it off, which ended up being a bother for me at Higher.

Personal Essays are easier to write as you don't have to "create" a story, it's something you care about or something that's happened to you. If you have a good personal issue/story you want to write about do a personal essay but if you don't as much as it may be harder I would do a short story, as you're giving yourself a hard time if you can't think of a personal story/issue and you've picked a personal essay.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BRH123)
I hate writing about myself so I’m definitely not doing a personal essay but I wanna do a short story for my exam but I need ideas on what it should be about. Has anyone got any ideas?
What did you do if you did your national 5 English
(Nationals are Scottish education levels)
I did a creative piece, and wrote from a non-human narrator's perspective...If you did a personal essay it doesn't necessarily have to be true or about you- it can be totally fictional
Last edited by Labrador99; 4 weeks ago
BRH123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
I did a creative piece, and wrote from a non-human narrator's perspective...If you did a personal essay it doesn't necessarily have to be true or about you- it can be totally fictional
Thanks for all the advice but I’ve decided on a personal essay about my struggles with making friends and my struggles with school in general.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by BRH123)
Thanks for all the advice but I’ve decided on a personal essay about my struggles with making friends and my struggles with school in general.
Hope the writing goes well
BRH123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Labrador99)
Hope the writing goes well
Thanks!
Valeriex
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, my teacher was a marker for Higher portfolio last year.
Even though this is higher, I suspect the same for nat 5.
Loads of people did personal essays, so even a creative essay that was maybe only worth 7/15 ended up getting up to like 10/15 just as it is a breath of fresh air. So if you don't have much to write about, I would say to do creative.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
9.52%
Disagree (2)
9.52%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
33.33%
Agree (6)
28.57%
Strongly Agree (4)
19.05%

Watched Threads