Is 79 old ? I'm worried about how long my Nan may have left Watch

Cleverboy1991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am wondering if 79 years of age is considered old ? My grandma who I love dearly is 79 and will be 80 in first half of next year.

I really love her, I know a lot of people who have had their Nan and granddad die and they seem to handle it so well like a few days alter it is as though it happened years ago and they seem to have accepted it and moved on, but maybe they were not as close with their Nan as I am with mine.

My Nan has been a smoker for probably 40 - 50 years maybe longer, she was diagnosed with emphysema last year ( not sure how much it affects her, she was just diagnosed at the doctors with it once ) , she has a metal rod in her leg as she broke her leg from fall about 11 years ago and now she won't go beyond her back garden without having somebody with her, she has lost eye sight in one eye following a problem after eye injections that she has been having for around a year, but she is absolutely lovely, she makes me laugh she very funny, extremely kind and I think she still thinks that she thinks she is 21 years old lol, she too proud to use wheel chair she won't get one, she has a walking stick though. she never complains of her being in pain she just gets on with things and I couldn't wish for a better grandma.

I am very sad usually after I have visited and I have had a great time with her as usual I am very sad that she is probably in the last few years of her life if she's lucky which I really hope I have more years with her yet.

any thoughts ? thanks
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Life expectancy for women in the UK is 82.9 years, so yes it is old, but stats mean very little to the individual - if your nan is in reasonable health (you mentioned emphysema but not the impact of it) there's no reason to suspect she can't keep going
Anonymous #1
Report 3 weeks ago
Mine went at 86, not sure if that helps or not.
za45
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hoepfully, your nan is well. Make memories with her, take pictures together you can cherish these moments. It will definitely make you and your nan happy!
In regards of 79 being old, I personally believe that age is just a number. Despite all her health complications, your nan can still be like any 'young' person, nothing can stop her from living her best life.
For example, at school our dinner lady is 97 years of age yet she is still working, her age won't stop her.
Hope this msg helps! Wish you and your nan all the best!
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
mine lived till 99. forget about what statistics say, so long as she remains healthy theres no reason why she can't live another decade or two.
yzanne
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Enjoy the time you have with her - my Grandad died last Christmas at 98. Who's to say that your Grandma won't do the same?
OR321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Enjoy your time with her coz I never even got to meet any of my grandparents
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Imo, it's not really quantity but quality.

My grandma is 93 and her kids were forced to put her in an old people's home because it was too dangerous for her alone and she was often violent. Now she barely recognizes anyone and is forgetting English. At least she doesn't wear adult nappies but most of the other people where she is do. I don't want to live like that I'd prefer to die when I still have my mind and own abilities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (164)
24.59%
Pop (164)
24.59%
Jazz (26)
3.9%
Classical (40)
6%
Hip-Hop (121)
18.14%