randomquestion
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
HII Guys!

Going into Year 12 now, and I’ve done my GCSEs.
Got 10 9s, 1 8 and 1 7, and now here to help anyone revise!
Drop down any questions or help that you need!!
pubjesusVB
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi,
I'm planning to do chemistry, biology and psychology in A levels but I wasn't happy with grades I got for biology and maths (at least a 6 is needed in maths). I'm planning to resit both, should I take a year off of college?
randomquestion
Rep:
?
so any questions?
Last edited by randomquestion; 3 weeks ago
randomquestion
Rep:
?
(Original post by pubjesusVB)
Hi,
I'm planning to do chemistry, biology and psychology in A levels but I wasn't happy with grades I got for biology and maths (at least a 6 is needed in maths). I'm planning to resit both, should I take a year off of college?
It depends if you think you can manage the workload tbh. From older people that ik, sciences for a level are quite heavy, as well as Psychology. And are there resit exams in November as well, then you can get them over and done with maybe? Because then you won’t be into the a level courses too far in either, and you can solely focus on a levels afterwards!
Last edited by randomquestion; 3 weeks ago
epicnm
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, how did you revise for science, English and French, history (if you did these). Thanks!
randomquestion
Rep:
?
(Original post by epicnm)
Hi, how did you revise for science, English and French, history (if you did these). Thanks!
For Sciences - honestly I learnt the CGP guides off by heart and I remembered my exam techniques.
For example -
practical questions - remembers the controls and the equipment
6 markers - remember to include everything in an appropriate readable manner, with lots of detail.

English - learn lots of quotes for literature, and always relate back to the question. Find some top grade context to include in your writing. The more intelligent you sound, the better! For language, focus on the question types and what you should include in each question. Go through examiners feedback from the past to see what students usually miss out, as well as the mark scheme.

I didn’t do French, but I did do Spanish. For speaking, learn star phrases and sentences, which are complex, so you can just drop them here and there. Learn your vocabulary.

History - this was my most hated subject, but still came out with a 9! Learn the content, but because there is a lot try to focus it on the questions. For example for one of my papers I knew the questions will only most likely be a “how significant” or “explain” question so I revised how each event was significant in particular. Don’t think you have to learn every little piece of detail, but do try to have a general knowledge of the whole course. Don’t forget your dates!
epicnm
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by randomquestion)
For Sciences - honestly I learnt the CGP guides off by heart and I remembered my exam techniques.
For example -
practical questions - remembers the controls and the equipment
6 markers - remember to include everything in an appropriate readable manner, with lots of detail.

English - learn lots of quotes for literature, and always relate back to the question. Find some top grade context to include in your writing. The more intelligent you sound, the better! For language, focus on the question types and what you should include in each question. Go through examiners feedback from the past to see what students usually miss out, as well as the mark scheme.

I didn’t do French, but I did do Spanish. For speaking, learn star phrases and sentences, which are complex, so you can just drop them here and there. Learn your vocabulary.

History - this was my most hated subject, but still came out with a 9! Learn the content, but because there is a lot try to focus it on the questions. For example for one of my papers I knew the questions will only most likely be a “how significant” or “explain” question so I revised how each event was significant in particular. Don’t think you have to learn every little piece of detail, but do try to have a general knowledge of the whole course. Don’t forget your dates!
Thanks! Did you use flash cards/mindmaps for sciences and history? Also did you use quizlet for Spanish?
randomquestion
Rep:
?
Thanks! Did you use flash cards/mindmaps for sciences and history? Also did you use quizlet for Spanish?
Yes Quizlet is the best for vocab. For history flash cards and mind maps are the best. For sciences, it was mostly just learning off the guide, and highlighting and annotating it!
epicnm
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Also how long did you spend revising each day (from September). Thanks!
randomquestion
Rep:
?
These types of books are amazing for history as well!
randomquestion
Rep:
?
Also how long did you spend revising each day (from September). Thanks!
I was on top of my notes, and my school does many exams, so I was revising along the way for all of them. I would say to pace yourself, do a bit at the time, and increase your revision. Spread it out and try to finish notes the latest by April beginning. And understand concepts as you go !
anticorn04
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Did you use seneca at all and if you did, did you use premium and how useful do you think seneca is as a revision tool? And for what subjects do you think seneca is most helpful??
randomquestion
Rep:
?
(Original post by anticorn04)
Did you use seneca at all and if you did, did you use premium and how useful do you think seneca is as a revision tool? And for what subjects do you think seneca is most helpful??
I didn’t use Seneca, but I know a few people did and said that it was really helpful. I am actually going to start using it for A levels tho! People used Seneca mainly for sciences.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (23)
6.42%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (207)
57.82%
No (128)
35.75%

Watched Threads