Junalena
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I got the worst GCSEs possible 7-maths, 7-RS, 7-history, 6-Physics, 6-English lit, 5-Biology, 5-Chemistry, 5-English language, 5-computer science, 5-Art, 5-Statistics and c in further maths. So AAABBCCCCCCC. I’m getting my English Language, Biology and chemistry remarked as I was few marks off a 6. But I doubt I’ll get a 6. I’ve always wanted to do medicine now I’m giving up hope. But is there another option for me. Ive given a thought to retakes but some medical schools don’t like that. I’m so devastated. Please help and give me advice. If I get really good A levels and good BMAT/UKCAT, do I have a chance?
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Junalena)
I got the worst GCSEs possible 7-maths, 7-RS, 7-history, 6-Physics, 6-English lit, 5-Biology, 5-Chemistry, 5-English language, 5-computer science, 5-Art, 5-Statistics and c in further maths. So AAABBCCCCCCC. I’m getting my English Language, Biology and chemistry remarked as I was few marks off a 6. But I doubt I’ll get a 6. I’ve always wanted to do medicine now I’m giving up hope. But is there another option for me. Ive given a thought to retakes but some medical schools don’t like that. I’m so devastated. Please help and give me advice. If I get really good A levels and good BMAT/UKCAT, do I have a chance?
No one other than Birmingham,Oxford, Cardiff or some others even care about them. they care about A levels, extra curricular activities and BMAT/UCAT. Ignore it and go forward, no point living in the past
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Correct whatever went wrong here, get good A-levels and BMAT/UCAT, and apply cleverly, and yes it is possible.

Possibly the biggest barrier will be getting those As and A*s in biology and chemistry at A-level.
Junalena
Rep:
?
ThunderBeard Do you think I’d have to retake my English language gcse? Also I heard people with loads of A*s didn’t get accepted into medicine.
Junalena
Rep:
?
nexttime I’m just worried, do I have to retake anything and do medical schools even accept retakes. And would my school let me do BMAT with low GCSEs like that. I don’t even have A*s in my GCSEs :/
kkai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
how would u even do biochem at a level with a 5... don't u need a 6 to do it
Junalena
Rep:
?
kkai my sixthform knows me and they knew that I got 7s and 8s in sciences in my previous mocks so they’ve allowed me to do bio&chem at a level
kkai
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
kkai my sixthform knows me and they knew that I got 7s and 8s in sciences in my previous mocks so they’ve allowed me to do bio&chem at a level
Right. I guess the best thing to do would be to work your ass off for those A*A*A*s + get a very strong UKCAT score as well as resitting your english if you don't get a 6. You should do a lot of volunteering too to show that you're passionate. Almost all med students are academically very strong with like 9A* at gcses and stuff but you still have a shot if you show the unis that you have improved over the years. Goodluck. I think a few unis offer foundation year medicine too and theres always the option of doing it post-grad.
Last edited by kkai; 3 weeks ago
Junalena
Rep:
?
@kkai thank you so much. Do you know anyone who got into medicine with really bad GCSEs?
kkai
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
@kkai thank you so much. Do you know anyone who got into medicine with really bad GCSEs?
i'm not aware but there might be some people like that. Someone who i knew got 5A*s 5As and got all 4 offers from their medschools which shows that you don't need all A*s and that there are a lot of other factors too. Medschools usually rank people based on their gcses+ ukcat/bmat so if your gcses are weaker, you have to get an exceptional score on the ukcat/bmat to balance it out???

I don't know much as i only did my gcses this year and i'm planning to study medicine in the future too but experts like ecolier may be able to offer u better advice.
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
nexttime I’m just worried, do I have to retake anything and do medical schools even accept retakes. And would my school let me do BMAT with low GCSEs like that. I don’t even have A*s in my GCSEs :/
The English Language is the only one I would consider retaking. You need to check GCSE requirements of each uni and see how many require a 6+, then decide.

https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...-for-medicine/

Med schools do tend to be fine with GCSE resits. I certainly wouldn't resit more though - as I say, my biggest concern for you is how you will achieve AAA/A*AA at A-level.
Junalena
Rep:
?
@nexttime suppose I do get A level results like AAA/A*AA, above average BMAT/UKCAT, good personal statement and relevant work experience. Would I still stand a chance among those excellent academically students who have lots of A*s in their GCSEs?
nexttime
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
@nexttime suppose I do get A level results like AAA/A*AA, above average BMAT/UKCAT, good personal statement and relevant work experience. Would I still stand a chance among those excellent academically students who have lots of A*s in their GCSEs?
Like I said: if you apply cleverly (to unis that don't have high GCSE requirements i.e. avoid Oxford, Cardiff, Birmingham etc), then yes.
Last edited by nexttime; 3 weeks ago
usernamr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
this is not relevant but what was your examboard for computer science?
Last edited by usernamr; 3 weeks ago
Junalena
Rep:
?
@nexttime thank you so much for the encouragement, I really do appreciate it
Junalena
Rep:
?
@usernamr hi, it was ocr
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
5.88%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (78)
57.35%
No (50)
36.76%

Watched Threads