w4stedtimes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m being really indecisive about what I want to do after university!

I’m currently studying Medical Science and originally wanted to be a Physician Associate, but there isn’t much progression and you don’t have much autonomy e.g. you have to ask a doctor to check all your diagnoses and you can’t prescribe (yet).

My next option was Clinical scientist but I don’t like the idea of being in a laboratory all day and not getting to work with people. I used to want to be a clinical physiologist e.g. cardiac physiologist, but I spoke to someone in that job role and she said it’s very repetitive and there’s not much progression and after 5 years apparently it’s gets boring (which she did and now she’s a nurse).

I like the idea of the clinical physiologist role because of the combination of science and getting to work with patients to aid with their diagnosis or treatment. Everyone tells me I should be a doctor, but I did BTEC in college and don’t have the best GCSEs. I also don’t think I have the patience to go through all the entry exams and then go to university for another 4 years.

Can anyone give me some advice? (Sorry for the post being so long)
Vidi vici
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by w4stedtimes)
I’m being really indecisive about what I want to do after university!

I’m currently studying Medical Science and originally wanted to be a Physician Associate, but there isn’t much progression and you don’t have much autonomy e.g. you have to ask a doctor to check all your diagnoses and you can’t prescribe (yet).

My next option was Clinical scientist but I don’t like the idea of being in a laboratory all day and not getting to work with people. I used to want to be a clinical physiologist e.g. cardiac physiologist, but I spoke to someone in that job role and she said it’s very repetitive and there’s not much progression and after 5 years apparently it’s gets boring (which she did and now she’s a nurse).

I like the idea of the clinical physiologist role because of the combination of science and getting to work with patients to aid with their diagnosis or treatment. Everyone tells me I should be a doctor, but I did BTEC in college and don’t have the best GCSEs. I also don’t think I have the patience to go through all the entry exams and then go to university for another 4 years.

Can anyone give me some advice? (Sorry for the post being so long)
I know you may think it a waste of a year but if you don’t know what direction to take then it sounds like a year to think would be the best direction to take.
Possibly voluntary work with a medical leaning, abroad !!
A year away clears the mind.
Good luck.
w4stedtimes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Vidi vici)
I know you may think it a waste of a year but if you don’t know what direction to take then it sounds like a year to think would be the best direction to take.
Possibly voluntary work with a medical leaning, abroad !!
A year away clears the mind.
Good luck.
I was thinking about doing that after I graduate. I think a year away from education would be good and refreshing, but knowing me I’ll be a couple months in and I’ll be bored and I’ll want to get back into it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
12.5%
Disagree (0)
0%
Neither agree or disagree (5)
31.25%
Agree (5)
31.25%
Strongly Agree (4)
25%

Watched Threads