Digitidal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
For context, I will be sitting 12 Full Course GCSEs in 2O2O and hope to achieve all 9-7s (since I hope to apply to LMU), however I was wondering if GCSE Citizenship would aid my application.

I've heard people call it 'useless' and a 'waste of time', as well as 'The Common Sense GCSE' but all of these indicate it's fairly easy and hence surely an easy A* wouldn't hurt?

The only issue is coursework, which is apparently the bulk of the exam, but upon reading the responses, I might try to figure something out.

Thank you!
GAMER12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Digitidal)
For context, I will be sitting 12 Full Course GCSEs in 2O2O and hope to achieve all 9-7s (since I hope to apply to LMU), however I was wondering if GCSE Citizenship would aid my application.

I've heard people call it 'useless' and a 'waste of time', as well as 'The Common Sense GCSE' but all of these indicate it's fairly easy and hence surely an easy A* wouldn't hurt?

The only issue is coursework, which is apparently the bulk of the exam, but upon reading the responses, I might try to figure something out.

Thank you!
I got a 8 in Citizenship this year and i can tell you that citizenship is easy but you would want to know a lot about politics to enjoy it mate . You should take citizenship becuase its a easy way to get a A* without trying to much and using a lot of common knowledge
m_j_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Gcse citizenship was an easy 9 for me, I brought a revision guide before the exams started and only ever read it before the actual exam. It’s good if you have good general know on domestic and global affairs and politics.
GAMER12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by m_j_)
Gcse citizenship was an easy 9 for me, I brought a revision guide before the exams started and only ever read it before the actual exam. It’s good if you have good general know on domestic and global affairs and politics.
Yep , preety much know you're politics and you will pass with flying colours . Citizenship is a soft subject so its a subject that u don't need to revise for in order to do extremely well from my experience . How about you?
Digitidal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by m_j_)
(Original post by GAMER12)
Yep , preety much know you're politics and you will pass with flying colours . Citizenship is a soft subject so its a subject that u don't need to revise for in order to do extremely well from my experience . How about you?
Thanks, do you know how I could do coursework as a private candidate, or if there are any exam boards that offer it without coursework?
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you are already doing 12 GCSEs then DO NOT bother with another. There is absolutely no point as nowhere requires more than 8 GCSEs.

The 'coursework' does not affect your grade but it is mandatory and the head of the exam centre has to sign to say that it has been completed. It was an Ofqual requirement so will exist for all boards' GCSE Citizenship specifications that are approved for teaching in English state schools.

p.s. Last year one of the exams was on the same day as Chemistry and 2 German exams (and 2 Polish ones) leading to messy clashes and long days. It is just hassle you don't need when you are already taking more than enough GCSEs.
Last edited by Compost; 4 weeks ago
GAMER12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The Coursework is not really compulsory. Its basically investigations and all in a political issue like fair trade or anything about the real world . If u watch the news a lot then its pretty easy to waffle in the exam and gain majority of the marks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.8%
Disagree (4)
7.84%
Neither agree or disagree (14)
27.45%
Agree (18)
35.29%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.61%

Watched Threads