Student Finance has messed my life up. Watch

Biblioklept
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello all.

I intended to transfer to another university for the second year. Previously, I had used up my funding and had to self-fund for the first year of university, but I was told that the next two years I would receive funding.

I was unsure if transferring universities would still guarantee me those two years of funding as promised, so I called them up in July. A representative of theirs confirmed that my funding for the next two years would remain unaffected as I was only transferring universities and not changing course or the year of the study itself.

Trusting this information and a question I posed here on the forum, I made the decision to transfer. As of now, I have completely withdrawn from my previous university (and there is no chance of them accepting me back) and am semi-enrolled at this new university.

I spoke to another representative on the phone on Friday after I received an entitlement email which stated I would not receive funding for this year again. I explained that I had made the step to transfer because I was reassured by a representative on your side. He accepts that there is a note detailing this conversation but still remains adamant that I cannot receive funding for this year.

Mind you, I am only changing universities. I am not changing the course or the year of study. I am going from the first year to the second year and they have recalculated my entitlement and have deducted another year out.

At this point, he gave me an option to appeal this and said there was proof of my conversation with that representative who basically misled me. I start university in under four weeks and have no idea how I am going to self-fund.

Had I known that they would deduct another year of my funding I would have never transferred.

I have sent in an appeal email, but my chances are looking almost non-existent. I never trusted Student Finance and their fairness in dealing with applications, but to have been misled by one of their own is just utterly unacceptable.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.
e.m1002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I know the feeling of them messing your life up. Just keep appealing, put a complaint in, do whatever you can, and good luck.
Biblioklept
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by e.m1002)
I know the feeling of them messing your life up. Just keep appealing, put a complaint in, do whatever you can, and good luck.
Sorry to hear that you have been a victim of something like this too. So far I have put the appeal in and I have been told to wait 15-20 days. I am not sure what a complaint against them will do for me. If you have complained against them and got something out of it, please let me know. I need all the reassurances at this point. 😭
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Biblioklept)
Hello all.

I intended to transfer to another university for the second year. Previously, I had used up my funding and had to self-fund for the first year of university, but I was told that the next two years I would receive funding.

I was unsure if transferring universities would still guarantee me those two years of funding as promised, so I called them up in July. A representative of theirs confirmed that my funding for the next two years would remain unaffected as I was only transferring universities and not changing course or the year of the study itself.

Trusting this information and a question I posed here on the forum, I made the decision to transfer. As of now, I have completely withdrawn from my previous university (and there is no chance of them accepting me back) and am semi-enrolled at this new university.

I spoke to another representative on the phone on Friday after I received an entitlement email which stated I would not receive funding for this year again. I explained that I had made the step to transfer because I was reassured by a representative on your side. He accepts that there is a note detailing this conversation but still remains adamant that I cannot receive funding for this year.

Mind you, I am only changing universities. I am not changing the course or the year of study. I am going from the first year to the second year and they have recalculated my entitlement and have deducted another year out.

At this point, he gave me an option to appeal this and said there was proof of my conversation with that representative who basically misled me. I start university in under four weeks and have no idea how I am going to self-fund.

Had I known that they would deduct another year of my funding I would have never transferred.

I have sent in an appeal email, but my chances are looking almost non-existent. I never trusted Student Finance and their fairness in dealing with applications, but to have been misled by one of their own is just utterly unacceptable.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.
Starting from the beginning.

How much HE funding have you had including foundation courses?

You seem to be indicating something that meant you used 2 years finance and you paid for 1 year?
Did you fail something?
Need context and details to try and understand what has happened.
Are they trying to deduct an extra year because you paid for yourself?
You need to explain in more detail plus exactly what their reasoning is.
Biblioklept
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Starting from the beginning.

How much HE funding have you had including foundation courses?

You seem to be indicating something that meant you used 2 years finance and you paid for 1 year?
Did you fail something?
Need context and details to try and understand what has happened.
Are they trying to deduct an extra year because you paid for yourself?
You need to explain in more detail plus exactly what their reasoning is.
I have had two years of funding from SFE. First year was foundation and the second was for first year of my previous course which I did not enjoy at all. Naturally, I failed.

Last year I applied to do another course at another university. They said they calculated my entitlement based on previous years of study. So my new course (the one I am doing now) is 3 years. So they did 3(new course length) plus 1(gift year) minus 2(previous years of study) equals to 2.

This was what I was told last year. They said I had to fund myself for first year and they would fund me for second and third. I am going to second year now and they said they can’t fund me because they have recalculated my entitlement again as I am transferring universities. Makes no sense because it is the same course and I am not repeating a year or anything. Plus I was told I would be funded despite the transfer. Hence why this whole mess.
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
I have had two years of funding from SFE. First year was foundation and the second was for first year of my previous course which I did not enjoy at all. Naturally, I failed.

Last year I applied to do another course at another university. They said they calculated my entitlement based on previous years of study. So my new course (the one I am doing now) is 3 years. So they did 3(new course length) plus 1(gift year) minus 2(previous years of study) equals to 2.

This was what I was told last year. They said I had to fund myself for first year and they would fund me for second and third. I am going to second year now and they said they can’t fund me because they have recalculated my entitlement again as I am transferring universities. Makes no sense because it is the same course and I am not repeating a year or anything. Plus I was told I would be funded despite the transfer. Hence why this whole mess.
Btw I am consistently warning people about foundation and the implication for student finance.
So
Foundation + degree +1 to Degree +0
Year 1 failed, but degree+0 to degree-1.
[Did you have any medical issues that you can support with medical evidence i.e GP?]

Degree-1 means they should pay from year 2 onwards.
Three year course- did you take a maintenance loan off them for year 1?
Do you have any written evidence of their confirmation?
Do you have an explanation of their calculation?

Year 1 you either pay totally yourself maint and loan or pay fees and they pay maintenance?
Year 2 + They should be funding both.

Definitely worth chasing up, but without their explanation I dont know what they have done. Maybe someone has decided because you financed the year you were told, then they have used that against you as a years finance? Just a guess. Need their explanation really.
Worth appealing as I would assume you were degree -1. If they include as above then you could never access funding again.

See what SFE explanation is?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
That is me done for today at least.
Biblioklept
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Btw I am consistently warning people about foundation and the implication for student finance.
So
Foundation + degree +1 to Degree +0
Year 1 failed, but degree+0 to degree-1.
[Did you have any medical issues that you can support with medical evidence i.e GP?]

Degree-1 means they should pay from year 2 onwards.
Three year course- did you take a maintenance loan off them for year 1?
Do you have any written evidence of their confirmation?
Do you have an explanation of their calculation?

Year 1 you either pay totally yourself maint and loan or pay fees and they pay maintenance?
Year 2 + They should be funding both.

Definitely worth chasing up, but without their explanation I dont know what they have done. Maybe someone has decided because you financed the year you were told, then they have used that against you as a years finance? Just a guess. Need their explanation really.
Worth appealing as I would assume you were degree -1. If they include as above then you could never access funding again.

See what SFE explanation is?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910
That is me done for today at least.
Thank you for your sound advice. Yes, they gave me maintainence in first year and I paid the fees to the uni. I have their entitlement letters from last year.

I had no medical issues and have none now. What did you mean by that I could never access funding again?

Also, they gave me no explanation. I call their representative and they put me on hold for 10 minutes and all they say after that is “Sorry you are not entitled to funding.” They sent me the generic entitlement letter and it makes no sense.
999tigger
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your sound advice. Yes, they gave me maintainence in first year and I paid the fees to the uni. I have their entitlement letters from last year.

I had no medical issues and have none now. What did you mean by that I could never access funding again?

Also, they gave me no explanation. I call their representative and they put me on hold for 10 minutes and all they say after that is “Sorry you are not entitled to funding.” They sent me the generic entitlement letter and it makes no sense.
Ask in the forum.
They somehow think you are entitled to one years less money i.e your status is degree -2, when imo it is degree-1.
They are somehow punishing you either for being on a foundation course or for having paid a year yourself.
I dont know if I have missed some regulation.
I think you were at degree-1 and the maintenance doesnt count.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?