The Student Room Group

How are Advanced Highers valued

I just wanted to know how Advanced Highers fit in terms of grade requirements. I've heard that a B at AH counts as a higher A(and etc..) , but is that true? Is it course specific (i.e AH biology B would be worth a higher A towards science degrees but not economics) or is it more of a general rule that isnt always (or not at all) true?
Reply 1
Hello,

Advanced Highers are not really comparable to Highers. What I mean by that is if you get say "AAB" at Advanced Higher and hope it counts as an "AAAAB" for Higher entries it does and it doesn't. The thing is, most universities would suggest that someone with good Advanced Highers, an A and two B's or vice versa should be entering into Year 2 directly in some courses. So the question if they count as A at Higher not really, as it's a different thing, although if you have enough advanced highers to get into Year 2 you'd most likely be accepted for Year 1, but some Universities do suggest people with advanced highers look at Year 2 entry as in Scotland Year 1 is Level 7 which is equivalent to an advanced higher anyway.
Original post by Big_Daymo
I just wanted to know how Advanced Highers fit in terms of grade requirements. I've heard that a B at AH counts as a higher A(and etc..) , but is that true? Is it course specific (i.e AH biology B would be worth a higher A towards science degrees but not economics) or is it more of a general rule that isnt always (or not at all) true?

It depends on the specific course, university and their entry requirements. If you're applying in S6, unless you get an unconditional for the course, it would be a conditional offer on your S6 results you'd get anyways, so that would determine what you're needing to get more than anything else.
Universities definitely won't double count subjects though- e.g. you can't make up an AAABB highers requirement using both higher and AH English for example.

Original post by Aaron_0610
The thing is, most universities would suggest that someone with good Advanced Highers, an A and two B's or vice versa should be entering into Year 2 directly in some courses. So the question if they count as A at Higher not really, as it's a different thing, although if you have enough advanced highers to get into Year 2 you'd most likely be accepted for Year 1, but some Universities do suggest people with advanced highers look at Year 2 entry as in Scotland Year 1 is Level 7 which is equivalent to an advanced higher anyway.

Equally, you would still be offered year 1 entry anyways if that's what you've applied for- the year 2 bit would be offered as an alternative, rather than an expectation, so there's no pressure on you to go into year 2 even with good advanced highers :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Aaron_0610
Hello,

Advanced Highers are not really comparable to Highers. What I mean by that is if you get say "AAB" at Advanced Higher and hope it counts as an "AAAAB" for Higher entries it does and it doesn't. The thing is, most universities would suggest that someone with good Advanced Highers, an A and two B's or vice versa should be entering into Year 2 directly in some courses. So the question if they count as A at Higher not really, as it's a different thing, although if you have enough advanced highers to get into Year 2 you'd most likely be accepted for Year 1, but some Universities do suggest people with advanced highers look at Year 2 entry as in Scotland Year 1 is Level 7 which is equivalent to an advanced higher anyway.

Original post by Labrador99
It depends on the specific course, university and their entry requirements. If you're applying in S6, unless you get an unconditional for the course, it would be a conditional offer on your S6 results you'd get anyways, so that would determine what you're needing to get more than anything else.
Universities definitely won't double count subjects though- e.g. you can't make up an AAABB highers requirement using both higher and AH English for example.

Equally, you would still be offered year 1 entry anyways if that's what you've applied for- the year 2 bit would be offered as an alternative, rather than an expectation, so there's no pressure on you to go into year 2 even with good advanced highers :smile:

Thanks for the advice! I hopefully wont even need my AH's to meet requirements (if my history higher goes up to an A in the recount which it should as Im one mark off :frown:). If my history goes up, ill be sitting at AABCF which means I would only need one A this year to meet general requirements (Heriott Watt in Edinburgh). Im going for a business-kind of degree, so I doubt my AH Chemistry and Biology would help me get into year 2, which I dont want to do anyway (I know those AH's dont make much sense towards that degree but my academy doesn't run any relevant AH's). As for stacking, my A(s) are English (and History?) with Bio and Chem being the B and C respectively, so I'm not relying on these grades specifically.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Big_Daymo
Thanks for the advice! I hopefully wont even need my AH's to meet requirements (if my history higher goes up to an A in the recount which it should as Im one mark off :frown:). If my history goes up, ill be sitting at AABCF which means I would only need one A this year to meet general requirements (Heriott Watt in Edinburgh). Im going for a business-kind of degree, so I doubt my AH Chemistry and Biology would help me get into year 2, which I dont want to do anyway (I know those AH's dont make much sense towards that degree but my academy doesn't run any relevant AH's). As for stacking, my A(s) are English (and History?) with Bio and Chem being the B and C respectively, so I'm not relying on these grades specifically.

I’m heading to Heriot Watt, applied in clearing for maths with AABCC, so I’m sure your grades will deffo get you a conditional if not an unconditional.
Some universities however do accept an advanced higher at A or B as an A in higher level though you should check with each university, as all are different

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending