Chances of getting and offer from a uni you have gotten an offer from the year previo Watch

cmarie_0000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I was just wondering what would be my likelihood of getting offered into a university that I have already been offered? I decided that I actually wanted my insurance choice but I had gotten the grades to my first choice which I don’t want anymore. The course is a health science course. The uni I heard can be competitive to get into as I am Irish and a lot of Irish apply for this uni. But would the uni be more likely to give me a place because I had applied and given an offer the year before or least likely to
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by cmarie_0000)
I was just wondering what would be my likelihood of getting offered into a university that I have already been offered? I decided that I actually wanted my insurance choice but I had gotten the grades to my first choice which I don’t want anymore. The course is a health science course. The uni I heard can be competitive to get into as I am Irish and a lot of Irish apply for this uni. But would the uni be more likely to give me a place because I had applied and given an offer the year before or least likely to
Ring up your insurance and ask if they will take you or give you a defered place for next year.
cmarie_0000
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Scotney)
Ring up your insurance and ask if they will take you or give you a defered place for next year.
I had rang them about 2 weeks ago and they said they wouldn’t give me the place because UCAS had changed my offer to unconditional and they were no longer able to update my ucas. They also wouldn’t accept me through clearing because of the high number of applicants for the course at the university. Would it not be too late to ask for a deferred place?
Last edited by cmarie_0000; 3 weeks ago
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I had rang them about 2 weeks ago and they said they wouldn’t give me the place because UCAS had changed my offer to unconditional and they were no longer able to update my ucas. They also wouldn’t accept me through clearing because of the high number of applicants for the course at the university. Would it not be too late to ask for a deferred place?
At this point what have you got to lose by asking .
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Agree with Scotney that you've got nothing to lose by asking for a deferred place. But if they say no, just apply to them again. It won't work against you that you applied to them before. It won't particularly help you either, apart from knowing that as they offered you a place this year, they obviously see you as a strong candidate.
cmarie_0000
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Agree with Scotney that you've got nothing to lose by asking for a deferred place. But if they say no, just apply to them again. It won't work against you that you applied to them before. It won't particularly help you either, apart from knowing that as they offered you a place this year, they obviously see you as a strong candidate.
Hi thanks for the advice, I asked about the deferral place and unfortunately they weren’t able to offer me one. So I have decided to just reapply next year... hopefully will offer me again. This time around I was just wondering for my referee on UCAS, would I have to use the same person as last year or would I be able to use someone different like a past teacher or current employer? Does this reference play a big part or personal statement? There are no interviews for this course and I have far over the grades needed by them. If I rang up admissions later on in the year would they be able to guide me on this?
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi thanks for the advice, I asked about the deferral place and unfortunately they weren’t able to offer me one. So I have decided to just reapply next year... hopefully will offer me again. This time around I was just wondering for my referee on UCAS, would I have to use the same person as last year or would I be able to use someone different like a past teacher or current employer? Does this reference play a big part or personal statement? There are no interviews for this course and I have far over the grades needed by them. If I rang up admissions later on in the year would they be able to guide me on this?
You don't need to use the same person for a referee if you don't want to but it should preferably be someone who knows you in an academic capacity, like an ex teacher. I don't know how big a part the reference and personal statement play for your course, (grades will be the most important thing) but the uni Admissions will be happy to advise you
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
You don't need to use the same person for a referee if you don't want to but it should preferably be someone who knows you in an academic capacity, like an ex teacher. I don't know how big a part the reference and personal statement play for your course, (grades will be the most important thing) but the uni Admissions will be happy to advise you
Literally word for word what I was writing when my phone died! :five:Great minds!
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Scotney)
Literally word for word what I was writing when my phone died! :five:Great minds!
:yeah:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?