mattbzowy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi i’m starting sixth form in September and i’ve been thinking about wether or not to change my options. I’m currently signed up to do Maths, History and Biology but i’ve been thinking about changing this to either Maths, History and Chemistry or Maths, Chemistry and Biology.

I enjoy and am interested by all three (Bio, Chem & History) and i’ve got a 9 in History GCSE and 9,9 in Combined Science GCSE so I don’t think I can exactly pick based on which subject I would do best in. I don’t really know what I want to do/study at University in the future yet, so that makes things more difficult.

On one hand, I know that doing Math, Bio & Chem will be a strong combination for anything science-related and much better than one of them with history. However if I don’t do history I’m worried of being too limited to science/maths while history could open non-science related pathways aswell as being a bit of a break from math and whichever science. Similarly I’m thinking doing Math, Chem & History would be better than Math, Bio & History as Chemistry will open more doors for me considering i don’t know what I want to do/study yet than Biology will since Chem is in the entry requirements for many degrees.

Additionally I’m considering the actual lessons. I know I shouldn’t think about the teachers but I know that can have an impact on how I do in the subject. I know both the Biology teacher and History teachers are good teachers however I don’t know the Chemistry teacher (our school is part of a trust with another school and so some subjects are taught at their school) so it’s a bit of a risk. Also I know I have a friend in both the History classes and a friend in the Chemistry class but I don’t think anyone I know is doing Biology which is a bit scary.

I’m also a bit stumped by the actual exams. With History I’m a bit worried that I could potentially not finish in time + I know I’ll need to write A LOT of practise essays which I know will take up a lot of my time. Also part of my grade being based on coursework scares me too. With both Chemistry and Biology I’m less worried about finishing in time but with the practicals as I’ve always found them scary and it’ll be even worse if I have a potentially bad teacher.

Does anyone have any thoughts? What do you think would be the best combination (Also, I can’t do Biology, Chemistry and History instead of two of them with maths even if I wanted to as the schedules clash) for me to do considering I don’t know what I’ll do in the future? Any response would be appreciated
Dancer2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Including history means that you have one essay-based subject which is proof that you can write well. This is definitely a useful one to have.
Chemistry includes more maths based questions, and Biology is mostly longer written questions, which are you better at answering?
mattbzowy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Dancer2001)
Including history means that you have one essay-based subject which is proof that you can write well. This is definitely a useful one to have.
Chemistry includes more maths based questions, and Biology is mostly longer written questions, which are you better at answering?
Honestly, once I understand the work I feel more or less equally good at both maths based questions and longer written questions. So I’m thinking Maths, History and probably Biology at the moment but I don’t know I still feel stressed I’m worried of limiting my future by not taking Chemistry and I’m slightly worried by the amount of content in Biology, but I’m also a bit worried that Chemistry will be very difficult and that I’ll feel like I ‘missed out’ on Biology (although I have the same feeling with doing Biology instead).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate