Quality over Quantity of Live - Is it worh to live?

Watch
LittleX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What do you think it's better - Quality or Quantity of life? Is there any point of living if you just surviving day after day or would be it be better to live just until you can enjoy it?

I think when, where and to whom you were born influence your life more than you can influence it yourself no matter how hard you try.

It will influence everything, your chances to live happy long life, your chances to be educated, your chances to make a career, your chances to be healthy or sick, your chances to make friends or even mate and have own family if you are good-looking, have own house, travel around the world, etc. But what if you failed at everything? Is it still worth to live? Is there any point of surviving in a ****y rented flat with no money, no career, no family or no reason to live until you eventually die and nobody will even care?

One example, my boss is my boss just because of connections of her father and because of that nobody else had a chance to get it, but she is not doing anything there so who says I (or somebody else) couldn't be the better boss there than she is? And because she is getting boss pay, she can have own car, own house, eat better food, get better medical care, etc. while others getting minimum pay and do more than she does.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quality over quantity any day

Moved to society
LittleX
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Quality over quantity any day

Moved to society
ok, so what would you do if your life wouldn't be about quality anymore or you wouldn't even have a chance to have it?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LittleX)
ok, so what would you do if your life wouldn't be about quality anymore or you wouldn't even have a chance to have it?
Kind of hard to answer when i dont know what context you are talking about, if you mean being terminally ill then there isnt much you can do but social things you can usually take steps to work towards a better quality of life
wxgmak
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Quality over quantity in some cases. The quality of your life can always suddenly change but If I’m terminally ill it can’t really.
K-Westie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thing is, some decide to live short lives by filling it with their idea of quality and dying quite young. We can’t discuss that on this forum because that’s something to talk to a doctor about.

However, nothing comes easy in our society. You have to work to have a quality existence. Most days will be the grind of wake up, eat, work, home, eat, sleep. You have to, just to survive. It’s a shame that we have to spend more time working than with family and there are studies that suggest this is linked to an increase in mental health issues.

That said, quality of life means different things do different people. It’s a real shame that some people barely work and have good essentials or that some people have several millions/billions in their bank and don’t spend ⅓ - ½ on fixing the world. That doesn’t mean your life has to suck. You can do day trips, inexpensive holidays, learn new hobbies, save up what you can to make retirement your time to be free and to look after yourself up to that point to hopefully leave you capable of doing everything you want to in your golden years.

Don’t get me wrong; I’m 24 and I’ve been handed a seriously crap deck of life cards since I was 7. I don’t have many good memories because most of my life hasn’t been - to the point where some people believe it’s exaggerated. I hate that so many of us have to work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, almost every week, for 50 years of our lives - often living in basic comfort, rather than not having to worry about money much. That’s why you have to take every day as it comes and fit in the smaller qualities in life to make the quantity worth it
Last edited by K-Westie; 1 year ago
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Die as an 80 yr old Somalian woman having had a lifetime of privation, pushing out ten kids and walking miles every day collecting fire wood and water.
Or
Die as a 60 yr old first world privileged woman such as Emma Watson having had a lifetime of a millionaire, crippled with entitlement and people fawning at your feet,
travelling the world in private jets and only ever worrying about having a bad hair day or breaking a nail..

Mmmm. 🤔

I'll have to think about that and get back to you.
Last edited by Just my opinion; 1 year ago
LittleX
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Kind of hard to answer when i dont know what context you are talking about, if you mean being terminally ill then there isnt much you can do but social things you can usually take steps to work towards a better quality of life
Well, there are multiple ways of how to have a ****ty life, it's not just about being terminally ill and it's mostly beyond your control. How I said it really depends when, where to and whom you were born because it will have a much bigger impact on your future than you could possibly ever have no matter what you do. Yeah, I have been working very hard since I was 13, I survived on the street without anybody's help, I made huge progress in my life and if somebody could bet on me if I survive or not from bookmaker point of view the chances wouldn't be very high. Even that I am trying very hard to have a nice life, I just can't influence it enough no matter what to make a significant difference and stop balancing between life and death every day. While others at my age already have houses, families, careers, a peaceful life, finished university, cars and thinking about next holiday, I am thinking if I will have a place to live next week and money to pay it.

So is this life about quality or quantity and what are the chances it will somebody improve?
LittleX
Rep:
?
(Original post by Just my opinion)
Die as an 80 yr old Somalian woman having had a lifetime of privation, pushing out ten kids and walking miles every day collecting fire wood and water.
Or
Die as a 60 yr old first world privileged woman such as Emma Watson having had a lifetime of a millionaire, crippled with entitlement and people fawning at your feet,
travelling the world in private jets and only ever worrying about having a bad hair day or breaking a nail..

Mmmm. 🤔

I'll have to think about that and get back to you.
So what would you do if you would be Somalian woman having that life? Would you give it up or would you carry on, hoping for the best expecting the worst?
LittleX
Rep:
?
(Original post by K-Westie)
Thing is, some decide to live short lives by filling it with their idea of quality and dying quite young. We can’t discuss that on this forum because that’s something to talk to a doctor about.

However, nothing comes easy in our society. You have to work to have a quality existence. Most days will be the grind of wake up, eat, work, home, eat, sleep. You have to, just to survive. It’s a shame that we have to spend more time working than with family and there are studies that suggest this is linked to an increase in mental health issues.

That said, quality of life means different things do different people. It’s a real shame that some people barely work and have good essentials or that some people have several millions/billions in their bank and don’t spend ⅓ - ½ on fixing the world. That doesn’t mean your life has to suck. You can do day trips, inexpensive holidays, learn new hobbies, save up what you can to make retirement your time to be free and to look after yourself up to that point to hopefully leave you capable of doing everything you want to in your golden years.

Don’t get me wrong; I’m 24 and I’ve been handed a seriously crap deck of life cards since I was 7. I don’t have many good memories because most of my life hasn’t been - to the point where some people believe it’s exaggerated. I hate that so many of us have to work 8 hours per day, 5 days per week, almost every week, for 50 years of our lives - often living in basic comfort, rather than not having to worry about money much. That’s why you have to take every day as it comes and fit in the smaller qualities in life to make the quantity worth it
Well, talking about it with a doctor is nice but it won't change anything. The best you can get out of it is a bunch of pills to drug you and make you not feel so miserable about your life but that's not what you need, is it?

Of course, nothing is free in your society and it's kind of expected what you said but what if you have no family? What if you have no chances to have one? What if you will be dying alone no matter what? What if you can't make any career progress because you need somebody who will help you to make it / i.e. my boss at work and her father? Super rich people like to say they are rich only because of their hard work, but it's not completely true, is it? Super rich people are rich because somebody else helped them to be rich (family, friends, etc..)

I got your point, but sometimes even that you work 5 days per week, 8 hours per day may not be enough. I am 30 and I got my first chance to study at a brick university for the first time in my life this year and I am taking this as my last chance to kick my ****ty life cards back to hell, but I am also pessimistic about it. Even if I would manage to finish it and got a better job, most likely it won't be enough anyway.

I had another friend, slightly older than I am and he also like to talk about himself how is he having a great lifestyle and family, kinds, cars, etc, running his own companies and holiday apartments in Budapest, but the only reason why is he having all of this is because his mother bought him first apartment he started to renting out. I was working for him for a while and even I would work my ass off, I could never make enough money to buy an apartment I could rent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads