AQA GCSE Art — Confused with grade?? Watch

WildPeachyKeen
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
To save you the trouble of having to wait until the end, I have two questions: Has this happened to anyone else? What can I do about it?

Art GCSE is one of the subjects that I was SURE I would get a 9 in. I told myself and others that if I didn’t get a 9, I would have it remarked. I won’t go on about about how much work I put in, but I will say that I’m not one to expect a 9 when I haven’t the work ethic or ability for it. I had other subjects I was worried about, but art was never one of them. I’ve watched every single sketchbook tour there is, seen for myself the former students at my school who got grade 9. I knew exactly what was expected of me and I have never been more certain that I had more than enough of it in my portfolio to get a 9.

So imagine my bafflement when I open my envelope and see a grade 7.

To those of you rolling your eyes thinking I should stop complaining and it’s a good grade, you clearly don’t understand what it’s like to have so much security in a subject that you genuinely never once even had to imagine the possibility of getting a different grade to what you envisioned. This would be different if I had received an 8. It would still feel extremely unjust, but I reckon I could try and make peace with it.

But TWO grades lower? It still won’t ever make sense to me. I really don’t understand how or why that conclusion was reached. Furthermore, only ONE person in my entire school was awarded a 9???
I can tell you now, that’s not correct at all. Along with myself, I can name at least 3 other people who were more than deserving of a 9. To make matters worse, students whose portfolios displayed an ability level is below mine received the same grade as me. And there were a few who received grade 8, and I mean this in the nicest way but it genuinely does not make sense that they got that grade—especially if I only received a 7.

I spoke to my teacher and essentially, he’s not taking me seriously. Despite his confusion towards my grade and many others, it doesn’t look like a remark will be happening. Apparently in art, all the books have to be re-assessed.
Last edited by WildPeachyKeen; 4 weeks ago
you're_swell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
tbh just accept that you got a 7, if ur teacher thinks it's not wrong then it probably isn't. u can send it for remark but doubt it would come out as much different as they all have to be re-assessed. there's pretty much no difference between a 7 and a 9 when applying places so in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.
JustStudy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Someone else said that as well about their art grade. They were promised a B in A-Level but got a C
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Problem is with art it's not just ability, i got an A* at alevel and someone else who had just as much talent as me got an A because she didnt put as much effort into the sketchbook and that side of things as i did. You have to really evaluate your work and say why you have done things, what went well, what didnt. Things like that. A 9 is a really really top grade so unfortunately you cant just bet on your ability to get you it, 1 person getting a 9 doesn't sound unusual seeing as the government said it's something like 20% of people who would have got an A* under the old system would get a 9. Only 2 people in my class at Alevel got an A*.
Maybe you were a bit overly confident and didn't ask what things you needed to do to secure that 9, stuff like this should have been discussed a lot earlier, on what basis were you assuming you were going to get a 9? The people who got the same grade as you may have been lower in ability but they may have analysed their pieces better and explored a greater range of media for example.
I'm not saying this to try to demean how much work you put in but in am just exploring what could have gone wrong for this to happen, lots of people work hard and do a lot of work but don't quite work in the right way. As other posters have said remarking art means the whole lot of them have to be put up for display again and an external moderator come in again so am not sure how fruitful pursuing a remark will be. Art tends to be pretty well moderated from what i have experienced and they not only look at wall displays but take in a range of sketchbooks etc from the lowest to the highest scoring.
Last edited by CoolCavy; 4 weeks ago
WildPeachyKeen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by you're_swell)
tbh just accept that you got a 7, if ur teacher thinks it's not wrong then it probably isn't. u can send it for remark but doubt it would come out as much different as they all have to be re-assessed. there's pretty much no difference between a 7 and a 9 when applying places so in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter.
Yes I get that however my teacher does think it’s wrong, I said that in my op
JustStudy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Get it remarked just in case
you're_swell
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by WildPeachyKeen)
Yes I get that however my teacher does think it’s wrong, I said that in my op
you also said he isn't taking you seriously
WildPeachyKeen
Rep:
?
you also said he isn't taking you seriously
Yeah as in he’s too lazy to actually take action and get a remark for me
WildPeachyKeen
Rep:
?
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Problem is with art it's not just ability, i got an A* at alevel and someone else who had just as much talent as me got an A because she didnt put as much effort into the sketchbook and that side of things as i did. You have to really evaluate your work and say why you have done things, what went well, what didnt. Things like that. A 9 is a really really top grade so unfortunately you cant just bet on your ability to get you it, 1 person getting a 9 doesn't sound unusual seeing as the government said it's something like 20% of people who would have got an A* under the old system would get a 9. Only 2 people in my class at Alevel got an A*.
Maybe you were a bit overly confident and didn't ask what things you needed to do to secure that 9, stuff like this should have been discussed a lot earlier, on what basis were you assuming you were going to get a 9? The people who got the same grade as you may have been lower in ability but they may have analysed their pieces better and explored a greater range of media for example.
I'm not saying this to try to demean how much work you put in but in am just exploring what could have gone wrong for this to happen, lots of people work hard and do a lot of work but don't quite work in the right way. As other posters have said remarking art means the whole lot of them have to be put up for display again and an external moderator come in again so am not sure how fruitful pursuing a remark will be. Art tends to be pretty well moderated from what i have experienced and they not only look at wall displays but take in a range of sketchbooks etc from the lowest to the highest scoring.
A lot of work I did was experimenting with new media because I looked at the specification and spoke to my teacher pretty much every lesson asking what I can add to my sketchbook to help best show my skill range. On top of just art, I had pages and pages of artist research and analysis of my work. THAT’S why I’m just not understanding what happened. I completely agree that questions need to be asked and ability isn’t enough because I know art is subjective, so for me to already know all of this and still expect a 9 shows that I really covered all the required areas.

The thing with only one person getting a grade 9 is that for my school, that’s extremely unusual. Last year we had six students get a 9 and actually I would say that this year there were a lot more students with even more to offer all-around. There was no single person who stood out this year as being far better than everyone else or having done far more, so for one person to get that grade just doesn’t reflect the work of others at all, nor does it make sense.
WildPeachyKeen
Rep:
?
(Original post by JustStudy)
Get it remarked just in case
Would I have to gain permission from other art students to have a remark? If you don’t know that’s fine
you're_swell
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah as in he’s too lazy to actually take action and get a remark for me
that's not his responsibility
WildPeachyKeen
Rep:
?
that's not his responsibility
It actually is lmao you have to go through your head of department to get an art remark because as I said, it doesn’t just involve me, it involves the other students. If I could do it alone I wouldn’t have made this thread.
JustStudy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Would I have to gain permission from other art students to have a remark? If you don’t know that’s fine
Sorry I'm not sure🤔🙁
maddyjm02
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Generally the thing with marking in art is that the teachers are sort of told not to mark really high, n it’s hard to get a 9 anyway. Nobody in our school got a 9 for art gcse. Like if you’ve done everything you said you have to a high standard, in both coursework and exam book, have solid final pieces and development then go see what you can do about it. Or ask if the teachers can explain where the marking came from like why you got the marks you did, did they tell you them before? Because I know for mine I got my marks before I got my grade so could work out how far I was off the next grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (5)
9.62%
Disagree (4)
7.69%
Neither agree or disagree (15)
28.85%
Agree (18)
34.62%
Strongly Agree (10)
19.23%

Watched Threads