RE:7
History:7
Business:7
English Literature:7
English Language:6
Computer Science:5
Spanish:4
Further Maths:C

So overall I got, 1 A*,6 A's, 2 B and 2 C's.

I know for A-Levels I would need like all A's and A*'s for Bio, Chem and Physics (which are the ones I'm doing) and I would need a lot of work experience and a good PS and good BMAT as well as UKCAT score. But would these GCSE grades be a good starting point, if I get good results for the things listed above, If I'm wanting to apply to universities such as
KCL, UCL, Imperial, Edinburgh and Leeds?

I feel like I may have to do a graduate entry-level degree as I'm really concerned that my GCSE's arent good enough for Medicine first time at these universities, and If I want to get into these universities then a graduate entry-level degree (like biomedical science) may be a better option, then re-applying for Medicine at the unis 3 years later.

I could really use some help from people who do medicine and been given offers at the unis listed above ^ or anyone who knows.

Thanks in advance (:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your GCSE’s look fine but it would be best to avoid GCSE heavy medical schools like Leeds. Work hard for your A levels and focus on getting a good score in the UCAT / BMAT next summer.

You shouldn’t be shortlisting universities at this stage as you need to be looking at ones which suit all your application statistics which you don’t know at this time.
Hi, unless you completely smash your UKCAT, KCL isn’t exactly the best option for you. Assuming they don’t change their admissions criteria, they put 50% on UKCAT, 40% on GCSE and 10% on personal statement. An amazing UKCAT can make up for less strong GCSEs but a large proportion of people who get interviews from KCL have a large proportion of A*/A at GCSE.
Original post by Niket10102
Hi, For my GCSE's I got:

Science:8/7
Maths:7

I can't comment on medicine, but I do think grade inflation is rife in 21st Century.

If people are converting 9 + 8 to A*, 7 to A, 6 & 5 to B and 4 to C, it is making GCSE's even more of a joke than they already are.

More specifically in this example, how can a 5 be a B? What percentage was achieved for that? About 35%??? (genuine question as I don't know the answer. Not trying to be rude)
(edited 4 years ago)
Leeds may be a bit tough if they don’t change their criteria as last year you needed 37/40 (8 for aaa predictions, up to 27 for GCSEs and 5 for bmat
Reply 5
Original post by Robbo5151
I can't comment on medicine, but I do think grade inflation is rife in 21st Century.

If people are converting 9 + 8 to A*, 7 to A, 6 & 5 to B and 4 to C, it is making GCSE's even more of a joke than they already are.

More specifically in this example, how can a 5 be a B? What percentage was achieved for that? About 35%??? (genuine question as I don't know the answer. Not trying to be rude)

Most med schools only consider a 6 to be a B and a 5 to be a C
if you can get the A Level grades at AAA or higher that be a plus, avoid seriously competitive medical schools that look at all grades including GCSEs if your that worried, or apply and state you had extenuating circumstances which meant you couldn’t focus enough during that period which caused you to lose marks. Up to you. Best of luck on your A Level / Medical journey!
Original post by GANFYD
Most med schools only consider a 6 to be a B and a 5 to be a C

Thanks for the info, GANFYD. That's what I thought too. Or at least, I thought 7 was low A/high B and 6 was low B /high C (but I can understand schools and others simplifying upwards for ease of communication with parents and students). 5 definitely not higher than C.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Niket10102
Hi, For my GCSE's I got:

Science:8/7
Maths:7

I know for A-Levels I would need like all A's and A*'s for Bio, Chem and Physics (which are the ones I'm doing) and I would need a lot of work experience and a good PS and good BMAT as well as UKCAT score. But would these GCSE grades be a good starting point, if I get good results for the things listed above, If I'm wanting to apply to universities such as
KCL, UCL, Imperial, Edinburgh and Leeds?

I feel like I may have to do a graduate entry-level degree as I'm really concerned that my GCSE's arent good enough for Medicine first time at these universities, and If I want to get into these universities then a graduate entry-level degree (like biomedical science) may be a better option, then re-applying for Medicine at the unis 3 years later.

I could really use some help from people who do medicine and been given offers at the unis listed above ^ or anyone who knows.

Thanks in advance (:

I am in the exact same situation as you, I want to do medicine but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades are good enough
here is what I got:
RE:8
Maths:8
Science:9-9
Geography:7
DT:7
English Literature:8
Computer Science:6
Spanish (foundation tier):5

Overall I got 2 A**, 3 A*, 2 A's , 2 B's and a C
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by djbello
I am in the exact same situation as you, I want to do medicine but I'm not sure if my GCSE grades are good enough
here is what I got:
RE:8
Maths:8
Science:9-9
Geography:7
DT:7
Computer Science:6
Spanish (foundation tier):5

Overall I got 2 A**, 2 A*, 3 A's , 2 B's and a C

There is no such grade as A**
Reply 10
😂😂😂
Do you need a helpline?
Reply 11
Thanks for the info, GANFYD. That's what I thought too. Or at least, I thought 7 was low A/high B and 6 was low B /high C (but I can understand schools and others simplifying upwards for ease of communication with parents and students). 5 definitely not higher than C.

The grade boundary equality is at 7, the bottom of which would also be the bottom of an A in old money. All 9s would have been an A*, some 8s would have been an A* and some an A
Reply 12
There are no grades high enough for what you deserve!
Reply 13
😚😘🥰
(edited 4 years ago)
Some schools do refer to grade 9 as an A** however, it's just a high A*.
If everyone just translates 9-1 back to A*-U, what was/is the point of moving to 9-1???? (other than grade inflation so better stats all round!).
If everyone just translates 9-1 back to A*-U, what was/is the point of moving to 9-1???? (other than grade inflation so better stats all round!).

I think it’s because I don’t understand 9-1 although I know what a*-g is. Also it annoys me when people say an 8 is an a* as it is both an a and an a*
Original post by GANFYD
There is no such grade as A**

A 9 is equivalent to the higher part of the old A* grade so it’s considered as an A**.
Original post by BOluokun
A 9 is equivalent to the higher part of the old A* grade so it’s considered as an A**.

Although most universities consider both 8 and 9 as equivalent to an A*.
Reply 19
Original post by BOluokun

By whom? Everybody who gets a 9 would have got an A* under the old system

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending