The Student Room Group

SRA Suitability Test - IVA

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the suitability and character check through the SRA. I am aspiring to become a Solicitor in the future and not yet started my QLD (course starts in October 2019).

Although my degree is part-time for six years, I am also in an Individual Voluntary Agreement for five years and currently completed one year of this with no missed payments. I can accept responsibility for the reason being in the financial position I am in however redundancy is partial to blame.

By the time I have to carry out the eligibility and character test (If all goes to plan) I would be out of the IVA for around two-to-three years. Considering in this scenario I have sound financial management by then and can prove this evidently making it clear I have learnt from my mistakes, what are the possibilities of meeting the requirements and ultimately passing the checks? Anyone else been in the same position? Or knows of anyone who’s been successful?

I’ve taken the time to read through the requirements on the SRA’s guidance notes and it states the following:

‘the bankruptcy/IVA/County Court Judgment occurred many years ago and there is evidence of subsequent sound financial management and conduct to show that creditors have been repaid’.

If possible is there anyone out there with this previous situation themselves, or knows of someone who can also define ‘many years ago’?

Regards,
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, what was the outcome of your situation
Original post by brookmoore439
Hi All,
I have a question regarding the suitability and character check through the SRA. I am aspiring to become a Solicitor in the future and not yet started my QLD (course starts in October 2019).
Although my degree is part-time for six years, I am also in an Individual Voluntary Agreement for five years and currently completed one year of this with no missed payments. I can accept responsibility for the reason being in the financial position I am in however redundancy is partial to blame.
By the time I have to carry out the eligibility and character test (If all goes to plan) I would be out of the IVA for around two-to-three years. Considering in this scenario I have sound financial management by then and can prove this evidently making it clear I have learnt from my mistakes, what are the possibilities of meeting the requirements and ultimately passing the checks? Anyone else been in the same position? Or knows of anyone who’s been successful?
I’ve taken the time to read through the requirements on the SRA’s guidance notes and it states the following:
‘the bankruptcy/IVA/County Court Judgment occurred many years ago and there is evidence of subsequent sound financial management and conduct to show that creditors have been repaid’.
If possible is there anyone out there with this previous situation themselves, or knows of someone who can also define ‘many years ago’?
Regards,

What was the outcome of your situation?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending