The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No!! That is potentially dangerous. If you find you are allergic to the ammonia found in the hair dye, whilst you may be slightly burnt on your scalp you will also be burnt on your hands!
Reply 2
You do really need to use the gloves ....
Reply 3
Hmmm you could probably do it without gloves but make sure you wash your hands thoroughly or the chemicals in the dye might dissolve your fingers :s-smilie:
I dyed my hair without gloved once. Don't try it.
Reply 5
Depends whether or not you want to dye your hand too.
Reply 6
Dragonfly07
I dyed my hair without gloved once. Don't try it.

why don't try it? you hand got the colour too or your hand was allergic?
sad core
why don't try it? you hand got the colour too or your hand was allergic?

I dyed my hand black.
Reply 8
It might depend on the type of hair dye you're using.
If it's a permanent dye, then your hands would probably end up the same colour as the hair dye, and it wouldn't wash off/fade for days/weeks! If it's a semipermanent or something that lasts for only a few washes, then you might be able to try it but I'd put loads of moisturiser/handcream on first, then wash your hands lots afterwards to try to get rid of the dye before it soaked in to your hands.
You could use rubber-washing-up-gloves instead of the weird plastic ones that come with the hair dye!
Reply 9
Wouldve thought you'd dye your hand a bit. Itd take a couple of days to wash off if it was permanent dye too. Not good!
Reply 10
I never use the gloves. I find i can't get it all lathered up as well with the gloves.

And my skin's always been fine :smile: If you're allergic to the hair dye then the skin on your scalp with be effected far worse. Just wash your hands thouroughly
Reply 11
RJ555
Wouldve thought you'd dye your hand a bit. Itd take a couple of days to wash off if it was permanent dye too. Not good!

It doesn't at all. Have you even tried it? Don't just assume this **** and give out "advice". Just wash your hands for a few minutes Op it's all good.
Reply 12
i never use gloves.
i get slightly dyed hands when i dye with black or such like, but when i went blonde i didnt.
wash your hands if they're dyed and you'll be fine.
if it doesnt wash out you can buy dye washerouter which works best when the dye is wet but still when it's dried out.
Dyed hands sounds quality tbh.
AsphyxiateD
Dyed hands sounds quality tbh.

It is. The black only disappeared, like, 3 weeks later, no matter how much I scrubbed at it. :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Mantha
It doesn't at all. Have you even tried it? Don't just assume this **** and give out "advice". Just wash your hands for a few minutes Op it's all good.

Thats why I said I "thought" it would, not say it definately would. Sigh, guess its the "month time" :rolleyes: Yes, I have tried it with a semi-permanent and it took a good deal of scrubbing to get it off, and i know people who use permanents and yes, it leaves marks for a few days (it fades slowly).
I wouldn't recommend it at all. The gloves are part of the process to stop you dyeing your hands and to protect the skin from the chemicals in the dye - prolonged exposure to the dye isn't healthy.

Wear the gloves. No Glove: No Love...ly hair. :wink:
I tried that once. Had brown palms for ages, nothing would get it off, it stained my nails as well lol :frown:
i did henna without gloves.. my fingernails are orange. can see the line where its grown from in the 3 weeks since. just use the gloves!
my mum once died her hair red without gloves and her hands were bright pink for about a month. was funny. but i wouldn't recommend it

Latest