Nursing then mortgage or stay healthcare assistant and get a mortgage? Watch

glamourprincess
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi just been offered a healthcare apprenticeship at the hospital which is 18 months for band 2 and 24 months for band 3 and was wondering if I should do the apprenticeship and work for a few years before taking an access to nursing course and nursing degree once I get my maths then get a mortgage when working as a nurse or is it better to stay as a healthcare assistant and just get a mortgage sooner plus I don’t know how mortgage is affected if I stop to have kids and if I went to uni was going to save 60000 for course and rent costs rather than taking the student loan and I live in a rented council accommodation so do have bills to pay should I still pursue nursing or just get a mortgage though I’m 24?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by glamourprincess)
Hi just been offered a healthcare apprenticeship at the hospital which is 18 months for band 2 and 24 months for band 3 and was wondering if I should do the apprenticeship and work for a few years before taking an access to nursing course and nursing degree once I get my maths then get a mortgage when working as a nurse or is it better to stay as a healthcare assistant and just get a mortgage sooner plus I don’t know how mortgage is affected if I stop to have kids and if I went to uni was going to save 60000 for course and rent costs rather than taking the student loan and I live in a rented council accommodation so do have bills to pay should I still pursue nursing or just get a mortgage though I’m 24?
a band 2 salary vs a band 5 salary would be a big difference for getting a mortgage, at the time of getting a mortgage when i was 22 and my husband 26, we managed to get one with a combined 30k salary at 5% deposit for 140k but that was only possible because it was more than 30 years term. so i'd look into how likely it would be to get one alone on a hca salary as in many parts of the country you couldn't get much for 100k.
you'd never pay back your student loan debt as a nurse so don't see it as a 60k debt, more like a £30 a month tax.
Last edited by claireestelle; 3 weeks ago
plainjayne1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Speak to a mortgage advisor. Always take the loan.
glamourprincess
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
a band 2 salary vs a band 5 salary would be a big difference for getting a mortgage, at the time of getting a mortgage when i was 22 and my husband 26, we managed to get one with a combined 30k salary at 5% deposit for 140k but that was only possible because it was more than 30 years term. so i'd look into how likely it would be to get one alone on a hca salary as in many parts of the country you couldn't get much for 100k.
you'd never pay back your student loan debt as a nurse so don't see it as a 60k debt, more like a £30 a month tax.
Okay thanks
glamourprincess
Rep:
?
(Original post by plainjayne1)
Speak to a mortgage advisor. Always take the loan.
Thanks
NickMbugua
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i swear healthcare assistants dont earn as much as nurses
my mum is a healthcare assistant and she always wanted to be a nurse for that higher wage but never got the chance to go back to school to get the nursing degree unfortunately
tbh think more longterm, i think future you might be more happy if you chose to be a nurse and secured that higher salary overall
glamourprincess
Rep:
?
Thanks

(Original post by NickMbugua)
i swear healthcare assistants dont earn as much as nurses
my mum is a healthcare assistant and she always wanted to be a nurse for that higher wage but never got the chance to go back to school to get the nursing degree unfortunately
tbh think more longterm, i think future you might be more happy if you chose to be a nurse and secured that higher salary overall
thanks for your advice really appreciate it I will do healthcare for a few years for the experience then try get into nursing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (21)
6.03%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (203)
58.33%
No (124)
35.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed