The Student Room Group

Medical school application - English Language 5

I am planning on applying to medicine this October. For all the universities I want to apply to a 6 in English language is required and I got a 5. I did quite well in all my subjects though, should I still apply?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by myinnerthigh
I am planning on applying to medicine this October. For all the universities I want to apply to a 6 in English language is required and I got a 5. I did quite well in all my subjects though, should I still apply?

If they are minimum requirements unfortunately you would be automatically rejected so your best option would be to retake or look at unis with a 5 requirement
Okay, thank you
Original post by DGeorge13
If they are minimum requirements unfortunately you would be automatically rejected so your best option would be to retake or look at unis with a 5 requirement
Okay, thank you
If I decide to take a gap year, will I have to redo my UCAT

One of my friends resat her English Language GCSE to go from a C to a B in year 12. She's now going into second year medical school :smile:
My only problem is that i’d have to take a gap year to resit which is a bit of an obstacle
Original post by crazygoatlady
One of my friends resat her English Language GCSE to go from a C to a B in year 12. She's now going into second year medical school :smile:
Reply 7
My only problem is that i’d have to take a gap year to resit which is a bit of an obstacle

Why? If oyu haven ot already applied, resit it in this next year and apply with a pending grade
I didn’t know you could do that to be honest. Does that not negatively affect my application ?

Original post by GANFYD
Why? If oyu haven ot already applied, resit it in this next year and apply with a pending grade

Could you do it in year 13 and apply, it could be part of your conditional offer? But not 100% sure if they allow that, contact your choices. All I know is that you can still get into medical school with a C -> B resit :smile: if that offers you some reassurance. She goes to HYMS, they seemed most open regarding grades.
Reply 10
I didn’t know you could do that to be honest. Does that not negatively affect my application ?

No. If they can accept predicted A levels, I'm sure they can cope with a predicted GCSE!
They would, however, make achieving a particular grade (likely a B) part of the conditions of your offer
Could you do it in year 13 and apply, it could be part of your conditional offer? But not 100% sure if they allow that, contact your choices. All I know is that you can still get into medical school with a C -> B resit :smile: if that offers you some reassurance. She goes to HYMS, they seemed most open regarding grades.

That actually does offer some reassurance, haha. It’s so annoying that this one annoying grace is such a big deal
Original post by GANFYD
No. If they can accept predicted A levels, I'm sure they can cope with a predicted GCSE!
They would, however, make achieving a particular grade (likely a B) part of the conditions of your offer

Okay, that makes sense. I’m going to try do that cuz i’d Iike to think other parts of my application are quite strong so maybe that will help. Thanks for all your help !!
Okay, that makes sense. I’m going to try do that cuz i’d Iike to think other parts of my application are quite strong so maybe that will help. Thanks for all your help !!

Please do contact specific unis to make sure they allow for the re-sit in year 13 beforehand :smile:
Please do contact specific unis to make sure they allow for the re-sit in year 13 beforehand :smile:

Yep, will do
Reply 15
Hi. if someone have grade 5 in English language GCSE and say grade 6 or above in English Literature; will the later compensate for the former if one to apply to universities who require grade 6 in English language?
Reply 16
Original post by mass63
Hi. if someone have grade 5 in English language GCSE and say grade 6 or above in English Literature; will the later compensate for the former if one to apply to universities who require grade 6 in English language?

A few may accept this (UEA that I know of allow an A in Lit to compensate for a B in Lang) but in general, no, you can not compensate for a lack of one grade with another
Reply 17
Not to my knowledge, no

Quick Reply

Latest