The Student Room Group

How Much Money Will I Be Getting Paid?

I have a question about a job that Ive been offered but am not a lawyer so I have no idea what it means:

My contracted hours are X hours a week on a flexible basis, however, under renumeration (read salary), it states:
"the company shall pay me a gross salary of Y per annum, pro rata...salaries are reviewed annually, there is however no contractual entitlement to any increase in salary...your pay will be determined by the company"

Does that mean I will get a gross salary of Y per annum or will I be paid a gross salary of (X/Z)Y per annum?

( X/Z being X hours / Z hours, with Z being between 37.5-48 hours as there are generally full time employment hours)
Logically:

"My contracted hours are X hours a week on a flexible basis"

where x = 25 you will work 25 hours per week but the times and days will be flexible based on the employers meaning of flexible.

Again

the company shall pay me a gross salary of Y per annum, pro rata

should mean 25/35 or 25/40 depending on the usual hours in the company's work week.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have a question about a job that Ive been offered but am not a lawyer so I have no idea what it means:

My contracted hours are X hours a week on a flexible basis, however, under renumeration (read salary), it states:
"the company shall pay me a gross salary of Y per annum, pro rata...salaries are reviewed annually, there is however no contractual entitlement to any increase in salary...your pay will be determined by the company"

Does that mean I will get a gross salary of Y per annum or will I be paid a gross salary of (X/Z)Y per annum?

( X/Z being X hours / Z hours, with Z being between 37.5-48 hours as there are generally full time employment hours)

You're salaried, not paid by the hour.

You get your salary.
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
You're salaried, not paid by the hour.

You get your salary.

I know that but am I getting paid Y amount, or am I getting paid a fraction of Y as it is a parttime position?
Reply 4
I know that but am I getting paid Y amount, or am I getting paid a fraction of Y as it is a parttime position?

If your contract says your salary is X you get paid X...
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
If your contract says your salary is X you get paid X...

so what does pro-rata mean?

According to this https://work.chron.com/pro-rata-salary-mean-22237.html , it seems like it means proportionate to the full time salary. So if the full time salary was X amount and full time was 40 hours then someone working 20 hours would earn X/2.
Reply 7

I would need to see the full contract not just rewritten snippets.
You're original post is right. Pro rata means you earn a proportionate amount of that salary, e.g. if you make 20k a year pro rata but only work 20 hours you'll likely make around 10k.
Reply 9
sigh, it looks like it is indeed (X/40)Y ill be getting paid :frown: (double checked the contract with my insurers / trade union's legal team and they confirmed as much).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending