Biblioklept
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello all.

I intended to transfer to another university for the second year. Previously, I had used up my funding and had to self-fund for the first year of university, but I was told that the next two years I would receive funding.

I was unsure if transferring universities would still guarantee me those two years of funding as promised, so I called them up in July. A representative of theirs confirmed that my funding for the next two years would remain unaffected as I was only transferring universities and not changing course or the year of the study itself.

Trusting this information and a question I posed here on the forum, I made the decision to transfer. As of now, I have completely withdrawn from my previous university (and there is no chance of them accepting me back) and am semi-enrolled at this new university.

I spoke to another representative on the phone on Friday after I received an entitlement email which stated I would not receive funding for this year again. I explained that I had made the step to transfer because I was reassured by a representative on your side. He accepts that there is a note detailing this conversation but still remains adamant that I cannot receive funding for this year.

Mind you, I am only changing universities. I am not changing the course or the year of study. I am going from the first year to the second year and they have recalculated my entitlement and have deducted another year out.

At this point, he gave me an option to appeal this and said there was proof of my conversation with that representative who basically misled me.

I start university in under four weeks and have no idea how I am going to self-fund.

Had I known that they would deduct another year of my funding I would have never transferred.

I have sent in an appeal email, but my chances are looking almost non-existent. I never trusted Student Finance and their fairness in dealing with applications, but to have been misled by one of their own is just utterly unacceptable.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.
Biblioklept
Rep:
?
Bump
SFE Chanel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Biblioklept)
Hello all.

I intended to transfer to another university for the second year. Previously, I had used up my funding and had to self-fund for the first year of university, but I was told that the next two years I would receive funding.

I was unsure if transferring universities would still guarantee me those two years of funding as promised, so I called them up in July. A representative of theirs confirmed that my funding for the next two years would remain unaffected as I was only transferring universities and not changing course or the year of the study itself.

Trusting this information and a question I posed here on the forum, I made the decision to transfer. As of now, I have completely withdrawn from my previous university (and there is no chance of them accepting me back) and am semi-enrolled at this new university.

I spoke to another representative on the phone on Friday after I received an entitlement email which stated I would not receive funding for this year again. I explained that I had made the step to transfer because I was reassured by a representative on your side. He accepts that there is a note detailing this conversation but still remains adamant that I cannot receive funding for this year.

Mind you, I am only changing universities. I am not changing the course or the year of study. I am going from the first year to the second year and they have recalculated my entitlement and have deducted another year out.

At this point, he gave me an option to appeal this and said there was proof of my conversation with that representative who basically misled me.

I start university in under four weeks and have no idea how I am going to self-fund.

Had I known that they would deduct another year of my funding I would have never transferred.

I have sent in an appeal email, but my chances are looking almost non-existent. I never trusted Student Finance and their fairness in dealing with applications, but to have been misled by one of their own is just utterly unacceptable.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you.
Hi,

You were given the correct advice based on what you've explained. If you told an advisor you were transferring and that's simply it, your funding would have remained in place. When you transferred all you had to do was make a new application and update those course details. It will be because you've withdrew from your previous course that this has caused the issue with funding.

Withdrawing from your course and applying for another means you're classed as a new student on a new course. All you were required to do was make your returning student application with your correct course details applied. It was not necessary for you to withdrew from your previous course. Your previous university should be classing you as a transfer student if that's what you explained to them.

Thanks, Chanel
Biblioklept
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Chanel)
Hi,

You were given the correct advice based on what you've explained. If you told an advisor you were transferring and that's simply it, your funding would have remained in place. When you transferred all you had to do was make a new application and update those course details. It will be because you've withdrew from your previous course that this has caused the issue with funding.

Withdrawing from your course and applying for another means you're classed as a new student on a new course. All you were required to do was make your returning student application with your correct course details applied. It was not necessary for you to withdrew from your previous course. Your previous university should be classing you as a transfer student if that's what you explained to them.

Thanks, Chanel
Is there any way to fix this? My university said I had to withdraw so I could register at another. Also, everyone keeps telling me something different. The person on the phone said that transferring takes another year off.
SFE Chanel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there any way to fix this? My university said I had to withdraw so I could register at another. Also, everyone keeps telling me something different. The person on the phone said that transferring takes another year off.
Hi,

If you're progressing to the next year of a course and just at a different university your funding stays in place, nothing will change. As you've withdrew you're not classed as a transfer student you're now classed as a new student starting a new course.

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 additional year, minus any previous study, for e.g. 3+1-2= 2 years remaining entitlement. New Course + Additional Year (awarded for possible repeats or transfers) – Previous Study= Entitlement

Did you leave your previous course during the academic year? Or did you finish that year and are simply progressing to year 2 at a different university?

Thanks, Chanel
Biblioklept
Rep:
?
Hi,

If you're progressing to the next year of a course and just at a different university your funding stays in place, nothing will change. As you've withdrew you're not classed as a transfer student you're now classed as a new student starting a new course.

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 additional year, minus any previous study, for e.g. 3+1-2= 2 years remaining entitlement. New Course + Additional Year (awarded for possible repeats or transfers) – Previous Study= Entitlement

Did you leave your previous course during the academic year? Or did you finish that year and are simply progressing to year 2 at a different university?

Thanks, Chanel
I finished that year. Got my results and then withdrew as per the university’s request. They already knew I was transferring so they asked me to withdraw.
SFE Chanel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I finished that year. Got my results and then withdrew as per the university’s request. They already knew I was transferring so they asked me to withdraw.
Your university should have classed you as a transfer student and advised us of your transfer rather than withdrawal.

If they aren't willing to do so then we cannot amend your application or funding available.

Thanks, Chanel
Biblioklept
Rep:
?
Your university should have classed you as a transfer student and advised us of your transfer rather than withdrawal.

If they aren't willing to do so then we cannot amend your application or funding available.

Thanks, Chanel
Hello Chanel.

My university are willing to amend this. Who do they need to contact?
Erin SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Chanel.

My university are willing to amend this. Who do they need to contact?
Hi there,

They would send over a Change of Circumstance to us electronically.

Thanks, Erin
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (302)
55.72%
I don't have everything I need (240)
44.28%

Watched Threads