Garry9028
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
ive failed and got an 3 in my gcse maths resit. im so depressed as i dont feel like i will pass in my next and final resits in november later this year and summer 2020, also i wont think i will be going to uni as well with a 3 in gcse maths. i dont know how many marks i got and i will probably ask for a remark when i get back to school. However is there some tips to actually pass gcse maths foundation edxecel?

thanks
ACEdaEXAM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
my mom dad and grandad and grand mothers gave the same tip. 'revise"
esraa_aydixn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Garry9028)
ive failed and got an 3 in my gcse maths resit. im so depressed as i dont feel like i will pass in my next and final resits in november later this year and summer 2020, also i wont think i will be going to uni as well with a 3 in gcse maths. i dont know how many marks i got and i will probably ask for a remark when i get back to school. However is there some tips to actually pass gcse maths foundation edxecel?

thanks
I also failed gsce maths foundation too and I also got a 3 so guess who's retaking me so here's me revising in summer he he
username4926014
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Uni is a big and costly mistake for a huge number of students, so don't feel bad if you don't go. Uni was and never will be the best option for most students despite half of them choosing Uni! Play to your strengths and you'll be fine in life. Practical skills are at least, if not more important now in 21st century as so many people are wandering about with degrees and limited other skills.
Garry9028
Rep:
?
(Original post by Robbo5151)
Uni is a big and costly mistake for a huge number of students, so don't feel bad if you don't go. Uni was and never will be the best option for most students despite half of them choosing Uni! Play to your strengths and you'll be fine in life. Practical skills are at least, if not more important now in 21st century as so many people are wandering about with degrees and limited other skills.
lets say i dont pass gcse maths what are the alternatives for me to uni?
Girl19_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

thanks
I failed my maths resit too and i needed only to get a pass in maths to get into uni as that was the condition of my offer. But a week before results day my university handed me unconditional regardless if i failed or passed. Im going uni without GCSE maths but tbh its a big deal but then it aint. Im going to take functional skills L2 in maths which is equivalent to GCSE maths anyway, so dont worry much. Just look for alternatives. My fear was not getting into uni but now i have and its less stress so dont let it scare you that you wont get into uni.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I only got a 4 in maths so I want to resit to get a higher grade. If you've got a lower grade then me, you really do need to resit it as most employers want a C/4 or above as well as the same in English Language.

The only thing I can suggest is to try different ways of revising, most say to do as many past papers or exam questions you can, including an hour a day practice.

I did some of the past papers to try and find my week points (algebra) then started to revise. Before the resit courses start I'll take another exam paper to see if my mark has improved, if it hasn't then I'll put the resit back to June 2020 until I'm confident I will pass at a better grade.

NB I know adult students that have taken the GCSE maths papers 3-4 times and still can't pass. It is just a really ridiculously hard exam now.
Garry9028
Rep:
?
(Original post by Girl19_)
I failed my maths resit too and i needed only to get a pass in maths to get into uni as that was the condition of my offer. But a week before results day my university handed me unconditional regardless if i failed or passed. Im going uni without GCSE maths but tbh its a big deal but then it aint. Im going to take functional skills L2 in maths which is equivalent to GCSE maths anyway, so dont worry much. Just look for alternatives. My fear was not getting into uni but now i have and its less stress so dont let it scare you that you wont get into uni.
are you going to do functional skills in uni?
GAMER12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Purdy7)
I only got a 4 in maths so I want to resit to get a higher grade. If you've got a lower grade then me, you really do need to resit it as most employers want a C/4 or above as well as the same in English Language.

The only thing I can suggest is to try different ways of revising, most say to do as many past papers or exam questions you can, including an hour a day practice.

I did some of the past papers to try and find my week points (algebra) then started to revise. Before the resit courses start I'll take another exam paper to see if my mark has improved, if it hasn't then I'll put the resit back to June 2020 until I'm confident I will pass at a better grade.

NB I know adult students that have taken the GCSE maths papers 3-4 times and still can't pass. It is just a really ridiculously hard exam now.
I got a 6 in maths and I would highly recommend you to retake it and try to get a 5 or above to have access to most courses in the future . A 4 is good and all but as you said a 5 above will leave you in a comfortable position bro (: . Btw I heard Resits grade if lower don't have to be switched with you're grade in June so you are good
GAMER12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Do not take Functional skills unless you are over 18 and you seriously can't do GCSE's Maths . Government pays for the resits up to 18 and you should take advantage of that since the exams are not very cheap after 18
Girl19_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
are you going to do functional skills in uni?
I don't know yet, im 19 and i just can't seem to pass GCSE maths so i would prefer doing functional Skills. Do universities even do Functional Skills?
username4926014
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lets say i dont pass gcse maths what are the alternatives for me to uni?
Self employed people don't need maths. Might need the ability to do arithmetic as part of billing and accounts, but not the actual qualification. People can train for all sorts of trades. I don't know what you'd be good at, whether you're practical, creative or whatever. Many people are still thinking that racking up three or more years of debt will 'better themselves' when all it does is put them three years behind those who didn't go to Uni. That is what many degree courses end up providing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (128)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (193)
27.45%
Not great so far... (251)
35.7%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.63%

Watched Threads