Do universities look at GCSEs

Watch this thread
Ra78x
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I failed gcse science & I cannot take A-levels chemistry & biology but a college offered me to do BTEC applied science level 2 for one year and move onto level 3. I’m not sure if I should go ahead with this. I have been told that universities won’t accept me for biomed/pharmacology because I’ve failed my GCSE science
username4187664
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Apparently Cambridge doesn’t.
Ra78x
Rep:
(Original post by ClubNeon)
Apparently Cambridge doesn’t.
They don’t accept BTEC’s though
F12Ak
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Why don't you take a year out, resit your GCSE's and then go on to do your desired A-levels?
Ra78x
Rep:
(Original post by F12Ak)
Why don't you take a year out, resit your GCSE's and then go on to do your desired A-levels?
Can you resit GCSE science?
F12Ak
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ra78x)
Yeah you can either learn the content yourself and take the exam as a private candidate or ask you school (or another school/college) if you they will teach you.
Ra78x
Rep:
(Original post by F12Ak)
Yeah you can either learn the content yourself and take the exam as a private candidate or ask you school (or another school/college) if you they will teach you.
Will do. Thanks for letting me know!
F12Ak
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ra78x)
Will do. Thanks for letting me know!
btw, if you can try and go for triple science, there will be more content to learn but you'll get 3 GCSE's instead of 2.
Ra78x
Rep:
(Original post by F12Ak)
btw, if you can try and go for triple science, there will be more content to learn but you'll get 3 GCSE's instead of 2.
I’m going to stick with combined, but I hope they let me resit
TheRealSaifali
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
schools don’t usually allow pupils to resit science as it isn’t compulsory. places may differ and applied science is a good course as it has all biology chemistry and physics and would probably have to achieve something in the higher region of D*D*D to be considered and work placement (clinically - pharmacy, hospital, dentistry any is usually good and shows commitment) and retaking GCSEs is sometimes a no-go for university so i would consider checking with the uni you’d like to apply for after A Levels if retakes are accepted cause they do put you at a serious disadvantage when places on courses are competitive. Good-luck and hopes all goes to plan!
Ra78x
Rep:
(Original post by TheRealSaifali)
schools don’t usually allow pupils to resit science as it isn’t compulsory. places may differ and applied science is a good course as it has all biology chemistry and physics and would probably have to achieve something in the higher region of D*D*D to be considered and work placement (clinically - pharmacy, hospital, dentistry any is usually good and shows commitment) and retaking GCSEs is sometimes a no-go for university so i would consider checking with the uni you’d like to apply for after A Levels if retakes are accepted cause they do put you at a serious disadvantage when places on courses are competitive. Good-luck and hopes all goes to plan!
Would universities not bother offering you a place if they see that you failed science at GCSEs though?
Ra78x
Rep:
Would universities not bother offering you a place if they see that you failed science at GCSE level though?
TheRealSaifali
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
i can not answer that, when it comes to it you’ll know but if you stick with BTEC applied science for two years and get top marks in all course work, practicals etc you’ll sure be able to get an interview at least where they’ll read your personal statement of how committed you are and see you face to face and prove your worthy of going on this course and why you want to, passionate driven etc
Ra78x
Rep:
i can not answer that, when it comes to it you’ll know but if you stick with BTEC applied science for two years and get top marks in all course work, practicals etc you’ll sure be able to get an interview at least where they’ll read your personal statement of how committed you are and see you face to face and prove your worthy of going on this course and why you want to, passionate driven etc
Yeah that’s true, thank you!
TheRealSaifali
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
but also find another passion on the side incase things don’t go to plan & the deadlines of coursework are too much at BTEC applied science so find another subject area you’d like to study and just focus on your main first
sakibul islam
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ra78x)
You can resit GCSE sciences but you have to do them privately.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads