neonprincess
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently down to do 4 a levels at my new school however I did want to do an EPQ. My friend has said that she might do four and transfer her fourth to be the EPQ project. I get that I should only do three a levels if I want to complete an EPQ but does this need to be arranged before I go back to school or can I sort it out when I get there? Also can I complete an EPQ in a year if I do decide to drop the subject?
rozdaviesss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would personally recommend that you do 3 A-Levels and an EPQ or alternatively, do 3 A-Levels in your first year and see how you get on and then pick up EPQ in the 2nd year. I speak as someone who has just finished her A-Levels and my best advice is see how you get on with 3 subjects as I personally found doing 4 to be overwhelming and it stressed me out way more. However you might be more resistant to stress than I am and you might be completely fine!

I think you can sort this all out when you go back but if you're really worried about it then you could try contact your school and leave them a message? Hope this helped!
jessblackburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! I do 3 A Levels and an EPQ, and I recommend that you do the same. If you do 4 A Levels, universities only care about your top three grades - the fourth is usually an unnecessary extra. However, with doing the EPQ I had more to write about on my personal statement, and on some occasions an offer of one grade lower if you get an A in the EPQ is available. I finished my EPQ in July, and I'm going into Year 13, so let me know if you have any questions!
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by neonprincess)
I am currently down to do 4 a levels at my new school however I did want to do an EPQ. My friend has said that she might do four and transfer her fourth to be the EPQ project. I get that I should only do three a levels if I want to complete an EPQ but does this need to be arranged before I go back to school or can I sort it out when I get there? Also can I complete an EPQ in a year if I do decide to drop the subject?
An EPQ usually is done in a year, so you're fine to drop the fourth subject and replace it with an EPQ later on if you want. Whether you have to contact your college now, or can sort it out later, is down to your college.

Also, what subjects are they? For most courses at most universities, you're better off doing 3 and an EPQ. But if it's maths/sciences for oxbridge then 4 A levels is very beneficial, so in this case you should stick with the 4 A levels and not bother with the EPQ (unless you really want to, it's not that much work tbf)
Last edited by MagnumKoishi; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads