Z A R A
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
My results this year are appalling. BCC for Biology, Chemistry and English respectively. I would like to resit as these results are not representative of the work ethic and grad es that I have been getting over the past year. I was wondering if I re-sat, which dental schools will consider me regarding 2020 entry. I currently hold 2 clearing offers for Foundation Pharmacy at Keele and Hertfordshire which I got a few days ago when rushing to find a place for myself to go to uni, but after volumes of research, I am not sure I actually want to do Pharmacy. And I don't want to spend £27k on a undergraduate biochemistry/ biomedicine degree that I am hardly interested in. I will be most grateful if any body can help me. Thanks.
Vibration
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It would be a brilliant idea to ring the university so you can find out if they accept resit for 2020 entry or what your options are so you will know exactly what action needs to be taken and be better prepared next time. I would say you show a lot of determination in pursuing this path.
RedHelenB
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Those grades do seem quite low. Usually resits are only accepted if you missed ny 1 mark. I agree I wouldnt do anything you're not interested in . Hope you figure out what you doneant to do but realistically grad dentistry would be the only option and that would involve some sort of biomed degree first. Plus it's more competitive than undergrad dentistry.
hwpo1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Why not go abroad and study Dentistry?
georgiaconway
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Have you looked at Bristol gateway to dentistry I think the entry requirements are BCC or BBC?
Z A R A
Rep:
?
(Original post by hwpo1)
Why not go abroad and study Dentistry?
That’s exactly what I’m currently doing! I am waiting for a response. Thanks for your reply!
Z A R A
Rep:
?
(Original post by georgiaconway)
Have you looked at Bristol gateway to dentistry I think the entry requirements are BCC or BBC?
I didn’t know that! I will look into it. If I don’t get in abroad, I will definitely think about it. Thanks.
Z A R A
Rep:
?
(Original post by RedHelenB)
Those grades do seem quite low. Usually resits are only accepted if you missed ny 1 mark. I agree I wouldnt do anything you're not interested in . Hope you figure out what you doneant to do but realistically grad dentistry would be the only option and that would involve some sort of biomed degree first. Plus it's more competitive than undergrad dentistry.
Yes, but that’s exactly what I don’t want to do. So I’m looking at studying abroad at the moment. Thanks for your help.
hwpo1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Z A R A)
That’s exactly what I’m currently doing! I am waiting for a response. Thanks for your reply!
If you don't mind me asking, how are you planning to finance studying abroad?
I hope all goes well!
MSmith90
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Be aware if you go abroad (assuming you are going to a EU university) and the UK leaves the EU without a deal, your EU qualification may be counted as an overseas qualification and as such will be subject to the ORE (overseas registration exam) in the UK if you wish to practice dentistry here; this is a notoriously difficult exam with very poor pass rates; Part 2 pass rate was 36% in Jan 2019 and even lower in Jan 2018; 25%. If you have low A-Level grades and do not have the academic ability to pass this exam (you only get a few attempts at it), you will never be able to join the register of Dentists in the UK.

The general advice is study where you want to work.
hwpo1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MSmith90)
Be aware if you go abroad (assuming you are going to a EU university) and the UK leaves the EU without a deal, your EU qualification may be counted as an overseas qualification and as such will be subject to the ORE (overseas registration exam) in the UK if you wish to practice dentistry here; this is a notoriously difficult exam with very poor pass rates; Part 2 pass rate was 36% in Jan 2019 and even lower in Jan 2018; 25%. If you have low A-Level grades and do not have the academic ability to pass this exam (you only get a few attempts at it), you will never be able to join the register of Dentists in the UK.

The general advice is study where you want to work.
I thought you only had to do that PLAB exam?
MSmith90
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hwpo1)
I thought you only had to do that PLAB exam?
PLAB is for medicine
Arisapo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’ve just done resits for law and many unis weren’t keen due to now competitive the course was and I imagine the same would apply for dentistry.

I don’t want to put you off but there’s an important question: if you said the grades don’t reflect your work ethic, it seems that you put in a lot of effort. If that was the case, what would change this year for you to get 3 As or above, especially if you’re working independently? Resits are far from easy and reckon you need to think rationally.
MSmith90
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not only that but universities generally ask for higher grades from resitters - for dentistry this will be A*AA-A*A*A

If you were close; AAB then absolutely resit or even get a remark; but BCC is far too low and speaking realistically being a dentist is intellectually demanding and requires sharp problem solving skills and academic ability which is why securing a place in Dental/Medical school requires high grades and an aptitude test (UKCAT).

I studied pharmacy years ago and I remember there were people with me on the course that had gotten in with BCC grades and they struggled but made it through the course. Now I am studying dentistry in the UK and I could easily imagine if those pharmacy students with BCC were with me now studying dentistry, they'd get wiped out in the first year.
Habzshakz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hi if you're thinking about studying dentistry abroad its worth checking out a website called the medical doorway. u don't need grades but you just need to pass the entrance exams set by the universities. They have many all over Europe, and some deadlines for some unit may still accept for 2019 entry just incase u don't want to skip a year!
paxmann00
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Where have you applied to abroad for dentistry as lost my place at Bristol in September as just missed the chemistry
paxmann00
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What uni have you applied to abroad for dentistry
I didn’t know that! I will look into it. If I don’t get in abroad, I will definitely think about it. Thanks.
Z A R A
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by paxmann00)
What uni have you applied to abroad for dentistry
I’m thinking of studying in Egypt. It’s a lot less expensive than you think! Mansoura is really good and applications are still open.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.98%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (133)
55.88%
No (86)
36.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed