AHB54321
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I’m taking Biology; Chemistry and History at A Level - is it worth taking an EPQ? If I did what do you recommend I do it about. I want to do a dentistry degree
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by AHB54321)
I’m taking Biology; Chemistry and History at A Level - is it worth taking an EPQ? If I did what do you recommend I do it about. I want to do a dentistry degree
I would say an EPQ is worth it if you have a topic you really love and want to write about, but if you don’t instantly feel inclined to do it then maybe not; you’re also taking some pretty intense subjects so I guess it’s also whether you think you can balance your time between 3 subjects and an extra project. For me, I loved doing my EPQ but do also think I sometimes prioritised it where I should have prioritised my other subjects, so it can be a tricky balance!
Queen_1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
I would say an EPQ is worth it if you have a topic you really love and want to write about, but if you don’t instantly feel inclined to do it then maybe not; you’re also taking some pretty intense subjects so I guess it’s also whether you think you can balance your time between 3 subjects and an extra project. For me, I loved doing my EPQ but do also think I sometimes prioritised it where I should have prioritised my other subjects, so it can be a tricky balance!
What topic did you do your EPQ on if you don’t mind me asking
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It really depends! For a dentistry degree it probably won't reduce any offers but it could be a useful part of your personal statement or in interviews. You need to consider if you personally could handle the extra workload too. I did bio, chem and psych alongside it and found the work balance fine but others struggle with it so it really depends on you.

Topic wise it'd be best to do it on something related to dentistry but this isn't my area so I'm not quite sure what you could do.
username4926014
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
From our experience, and from others I've spoken to, EPQ has no bearing on many Uni offers. A few do offer one grade reduction in offer if you got an EPQ grade A. Personally, I think it's better to focus on getting the grades in A Levels though. No employer will look through your qualifications to see what your EPQ grade was a few years previous.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Queen_1)
What topic did you do your EPQ on if you don’t mind me asking
I did mine on the human rights act because I was applying for politics/sociology/IR at uni so thought it would benefit my application, but also was just something I had an interest in!
Queen_1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
I did mine on the human rights act because I was applying for politics/sociology/IR at uni so thought it would benefit my application, but also was just something I had an interest in!
Oooh that’s super interesting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (196)
59.94%
No (72)
22.02%
Not sure (59)
18.04%

Watched Threads