Does bullying happen at university?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Like from people on your course or in the same halls...is it common, something that does happen or just unheard of?
tomlam
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on the situation.
Banter can go too far like with everywhere but generally speaking people are past that kind of thing. Make sure you're clean in the kitchen though because if you're exceptionally messy, a passive aggressive **** can make you feel like **** around your own flat.
Just be clean, social and nice to everyone when you start, people will be nice and pleasant back. Horrible people get nowhere at uni.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Like from people on your course or in the same halls...is it common, something that does happen or just unheard of?
It can happen, either between students or lecturer to student. As another poster said, it can be a case of banter going too far, passive aggressive behaviour, or outright victimising. It shouldn't happen of course, but unfortunately that doesn't mean that it doesn't.

As to how common it is, it's hard to say - many people may not want to admit to being bullied as an adult, nor want to speak out against someone for fear of repercussions. All I can say is that it's not completely unheard of.

londonmyst - I've seen you speak about this topic before, do you have anything to add?
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 1 year ago
t0m0king
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
only if ur a little person
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
It can happen, either between students or lecturer to student. As another poster said, it can be a case of banter going too far, passive aggressive behaviour, or outright victimising. It shouldn't happen of course, but unfortunately that doesn't mean that it doesn't.

As to how common it is, it's hard to say - many people may not want to admit to being bullied as an adult, nor want to speak out against someone for fear of repercussions. All I can say is that it's not completely unheard of.

londonmyst - I've seen you speak about this topic before, do you have anything to add?
Deliberate bullying does happen on some uni campuses and halls of residence rather frequently.
It escalates in both scale and severity when too many people prefer to look the other way, rather than acknowledge the problem.

I'm not talking about banter, politically incorrect/dirty jokes or annoying pranks.
Bullying as in regular verbal abuse, physical/sexual assaults or a full blown hate campaign.
It can be directed against students by fellow students, against students by lecturers or even against lecturers by other lecturers.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it does unfortunately and often where you might not expect it.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Absolutely bullying and racism goes on at universities ok

Been there and have the t-shirt to prove that I have been bullied by people especially boys.

I'm a halfcast colour girl, for majority of my degree course at university I was being bullied and racism remarks ok, the university staff didn't do anything about stillist it until I decided to the principal head and put it on his head to resolve it, wasn't fuzzy if he didn't as I was already about to leave the university anyway but I did it for the goodness of any new students in my situation with being colour.
The principal head decided to expelled those who was involved and then handed it over to the police, his staff got there backsides kicked from him.

They even attacked my white friends to because they were with me when they did this like.
So yes is your answer about this matter ok
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ever heard of hazing..?

that reminds me, I gotta watch that Nick Jonas flick GOAT. Issa bout hazing methinks.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes I was bullied by my lecturer and I was in my 40s. It was horrible.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 year ago
Lad culture is a big problem at my uni - a lot of sports teams think its funny to harass our feminism society as well as those advocating for mental health amongst others.

It is a common thing in any social setting, what I would advise is that if anyone makes you feel uncomfortable you contact your personal tutor, students union advisors, or just ask your friends what they think - everyone is accountable to someone so don't think that you can't complain because they're a student officer/rep, a lecturer, or your friend.

If you feel your university doesn't do enough maybe consider talking to one of your student reps or becoming one so you have the power to make a change.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by squeakysquirrel)
Yes I was bullied by my lecturer and I was in my 40s. It was horrible.
It's absolutely horrible when this happens to us and people get away with it to
Poor you hunni and he should have been setting example as well
Anonymous #4
Report 1 year ago
I get bullied at medical school
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I get bullied at medical school
Absolutely bullying and racism goes on at universities ok

Been there and have the t-shirt to prove that I have been bullied by people especially boys.

I'm a halfcast colour girl, for majority of my degree course at university I was being bullied and racism remarks ok, the university staff didn't do anything about stillist it until I decided to the principal head and put it on his head to resolve it, wasn't fuzzy if he didn't as I was already about to leave the university anyway but I did it for the goodness of any new students in my situation with being colour.
The principal head decided to expelled those who was involved and then handed it over to the police, his staff got there backsides kicked from him.

They even attacked my white friends to because they were with me when they did this like.
So yes is your answer about this matter ok
I was at university doing my nursing degree when I got abused with racism and bullying as said in my previous message here
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's absolutely horrible when this happens to us and people get away with it to
Poor you hunni and he should have been setting example as well
It was a she - I was doing a return to practice nursing course. She took against me - an essay I wrote was graded suitable for publication by another lecturer. She gave me 40% - just a pass.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
It was a she - I was doing a return to practice nursing course. She took against me - an essay I wrote was graded suitable for publication by another lecturer. She gave me 40% - just a pass.
I was doing my nursing degree course and it was mainly boys doing it but I put it to the back of my mind until I completed my degree first and took action with them,
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
I was doing my nursing degree course and it was mainly boys doing it but I put it to the back of my mind until I completed my degree first and took action with them,
Wonder why that was from her like
Cheek giving you such low mark
tomlam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Marking is the kind of thing that you can challenge though, academic staff tend to be held to the highest standards and if you want to complain you can be heard, it's just a pain. For example, I was heard over an issue with peer marking.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tomlam)
Marking is the kind of thing that you can challenge though, academic staff tend to be held to the highest standards and if you want to complain you can be heard, it's just a pain. For example, I was heard over an issue with peer marking.
I was not allowed to challenge it - it was in the rules. TBH it didn't matter at the end of the day - you either return to practice or you don't. Pissed me off though and put me against minor universities... hmmm Kent Canterbury.... hurmmm
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tomlam)
Can you absolutely prove that she did this deliberately and then therefore you should be able to try and challenge the decision she made against you.

And prove that she had a grudge against you from day one ok
tomlam
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was not allowed to challenge it - it was in the rules. TBH it didn't matter at the end of the day - you either return to practice or you don't. Pissed me off though and put me against minor universities... hmmm Kent Canterbury.... hurmmm
Ouch. Yeah, it's awful when you feel like you've been treated unfairly, and the refusal of your university to do anything about it is a hugely unjust thing. I guess if you had failed it would be possible to appeal to the board of examiners, but it doesn't really hold the academic staff to account.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (19)
30.65%
No (43)
69.35%

Watched Threads