Pagey81
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey everyone, this is my first post!

I was wondering how the grading would work for BTECs and what the maximum grade I can achieve is, I've heard people say D*D*D* while other people say its just DDD, I'm studying business by the way and its a level 3 course.

Apparently, I start with D*D*D* and I have to work at that level to maintain it?

If someone could help me understand all of it properly, I would be very grateful
morningstar461
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're doing an extended diploma then the maximum grade is D*D*D*. Your overall grade will be calculated from the grades you get on each unit throughout the course.
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pagey81)
Hey everyone, this is my first post!

I was wondering how the grading would work for BTECs and what the maximum grade I can achieve is, I've heard people say D*D*D* while other people say its just DDD, I'm studying business by the way and its a level 3 course.

Apparently, I start with D*D*D* and I have to work at that level to maintain it?

If someone could help me understand all of it properly, I would be very grateful
Hello and welcome to TSR!

You usually start at the lowest grade and work up, have a look at this:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...explained.html
Pagey81
Rep:
?
(Original post by morningstar461)
If you're doing an extended diploma then the maximum grade is D*D*D*. Your overall grade will be calculated from the grades you get on each unit throughout the course.
Ok, thank you how intense is the workload to reach the D*D*D*
Pagey81
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazzabear)
Hello and welcome to TSR!

You usually start at the lowest grade and work up, have a look at this:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...explained.html
Thank you! I'll have a look now
Hazelly
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on the course, i'm not sure what it's like for business though, for many of the BTECs now you'll need to sit an exam to receive your grade in the end.
Last edited by Hazelly; 1 year ago
morningstar461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did IT so I don't know about business, but it does take a lot of work to get the top grades. BTECs are mostly coursework so it is spread out through the year and you can resubmit work if you don't get a high enough grade so it's definitely not impossible to get D*D*D* but you'll have to understand the content well and be able to write to a high standard. I don't know what coursework's involved in business, but for IT we had two exam units in the first year and the rest were two assignments each - one theory essay and one practical assignment with a written report.
Pagey81
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazzabear)
It depends on the course, i'm not sure what it's like for business though, for many of the BTECs now you'll need to sit an exam to receive your grade in the end.
"Your course will be a mixture of research-based tasks, presentations, online exams, and a paper exam. Exams are marked externally."

This is what my course says
Pagey81
Rep:
?
I did IT so I don't know about business, but it does take a lot of work to get the top grades. BTECs are mostly coursework so it is spread out through the year and you can resubmit work if you don't get a high enough grade so it's definitely not impossible to get D*D*D* but you'll have to understand the content well and be able to write to a high standard. I don't know what coursework's involved in business, but for IT we had two exam units in the first year and the rest were two assignments each - one theory essay and one practical assignment with a written report.
Your course will be a mixture of research-based tasks, presentations, online exams, and a paper exam. Exams are marked externally.
That is what my course has to say in terms of how were assessed; I'm just really trying hard for the next two years because I want to go to uni for business.
morningstar461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your course will be a mixture of research-based tasks, presentations, online exams, and a paper exam. Exams are marked externally.
That is what my course has to say in terms of how were assessed; I'm just really trying hard for the next two years because I want to go to uni for business.
The best advice I can give you is to make sure you understand the content well and make sure you know exactly what you're expected to do for each assignment as well as paying attention to all feedback you get on assignments so you know what to do to improve. For exams, if business is anything like IT then you need to know the mark schemes well because they seem to expect you to give their right answer, not just a correct answer.
Pagey81
Rep:
?
The best advice I can give you is to make sure you understand the content well and make sure you know exactly what you're expected to do for each assignment as well as paying attention to all feedback you get on assignments so you know what to do to improve. For exams, if business is anything like IT then you need to know the mark schemes well because they seem to expect you to give their right answer, not just a correct answer.
Ah ok, we get like 15 days to improve our grade as well if we are not happy with our grade that we git given
morningstar461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ah ok, we get like 15 days to improve our grade as well if we are not happy with our grade that we git given
Yeah, that's standard for BTEC. As long as your teachers give good feedback and you pay attention to it then it's pretty easy to improve your grade on a resubmission.
Pagey81
Rep:
?
Yeah, that's standard for BTEC. As long as your teachers give good feedback and you pay attention to it then it's pretty easy to improve your grade on a resubmission.
Yeah hopefully I get the right feedback, I'm trying to maintain distinctions throughout the entire year for the most part
John Michele
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got a near pass in unit 1 and unit 3 in the exams. I have got merit and distinction in all internal marked assignments. My predicted grade is MMM. will i get a PPP or i can still get MMM. Pls really need help... Im losing my head
Ps im doing level 3 extended diploma in engineering.. Going into my final yr
morningstar461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by John Michele)
I got a near pass in unit 1 and unit 3 in the exams. I have got merit and distinction in all internal marked assignments. My predicted grade is MMM. will i get a PPP or i can still get MMM. Pls really need help... Im losing my head
Ps im doing level 3 extended diploma in engineering.. Going into my final yr
You can download a spreadsheet here to calculate your grade https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...alculator.html
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads