The Student Room Group

Why do English people call it Southern Ireland?

I didn't know this was a thing until I got here, why don't you call it the republic, it's actual name, is it like an ex empire thing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because there's a Northern Ireland I guess. I just say Ireland and Northern Ireland though
This is a thing?
Does anyone actually call it southern Ireland? I've never heard that, just Ireland and the republic if they're discussing the difference between it and the six counties
Original post by EllieBubbles9001
I didn't know this was a thing until I got here, why don't you call it the republic, it's actual name, is it like an ex empire thing?

Original post by Obolinda
This is a thing?

yea. there's a southern ireland, and it's called the republic though lol...there's northern IE and their counties, and The republic of Ireland and their counties..lol only wikipedia specifies that there's a north and south haha.

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Does anyone actually call it southern Ireland? I've never heard that, just Ireland and the republic if they're discussing the difference between it and the six counties

yh exactly haha. dunno just how i have heard it..i have heard "northern ireland", though. like ulster.
I’ve never heard anyone refer to ROI as Southern Ireland

I've never head it called Southern Ireland. It's just Ireland normally.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
yea. there's a southern ireland, and it's called the republic though lol...there's northern IE and their counties, and The republic of Ireland and their counties..lol only wikipedia specifies that there's a north and south haha.

yh exactly haha. dunno just how i have heard it..i have heard "northern ireland", though. like ulster.

Yes, I know S Ireland exists I just didn't realize anybody called it South Ireland
The only people who I've known to say 'Southern Ireland' are hardcore unionists who want to undermine the sovereignty of Ireland.
Reply 9
Never heard anyone call it that
Name 3 people who call it that
I've heard people call it that if they've somehow accidentally made it unclear which bit of the Island they're on about, but it defo ain't all that common

Most people do not, so it isnt really a thing.
Maybe its an easy differentiation fro Northern Ireland?
Is it really an issue?
Original post by Aaryra
Name 3 people who call it that

I now live in the midlands and well at least 90% of English people I've met have said Southern Ireland
I now live in the midlands and well at least 90% of English people I've met have said Southern Ireland

Troll?
Original post by 999tigger
Most people do not, so it isnt really a thing.
Maybe its an easy differentiation fro Northern Ireland?
Is it really an issue?

Oh, seems everyone in the area I've moved to does though, it's not the biggest thing in the world I'm aware but it gets annoying when the Republic does include the Northernmost areas in Donegal
Oh, seems everyone in the area I've moved to does though, it's not the biggest thing in the world I'm aware but it gets annoying when the Republic does include the Northernmost areas in Donegal

Except there is a defined territory of N Ireland and they simply mean the other one. Enjoy being annoyed. Cant say I have ever heard it called that officially.

Only heard it used by old people tbh... by which I mean born in the 50's or earlier - I thought it was archaic and on the way out.

When the troubles were on you'd hear either 'Irish republic' or 'Republic of Ireland' on the news pretty often and I suppose everyone fell in with that.
Reply 18
I've always just called it Ireland. When anyone says they are going there they don't say "I'm going to Republic of Ireland" or "I'm going to Southern Ireland" they just say "I'm going to Ireland".
Reply 19
Usually unionists

Quick Reply

Latest