This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A228 - Question sessions amendment
Proposer: Andrew97 (Speaker)
Seconders: CatusStarbright (Independent), EagleKingdom (Conservative), PetrosAC (Liberal Democrat), 04MR17 (Liberal Democrat), Connor27 (Conservative)
Amend the Questions Session section of the Guidance Document from.

1) Prime Minister's Questions can take place on any day by mutual agreement of the Prime Minister and Speaker, having consulted the Leader of the Opposition.
2) The Speaker will create a Prime Minister’s Questions thread in which people may ask the Prime Minister questions. These should, at least roughly, relate to government actions, policies, aims or ideals. The Prime Minister should endeavour to be online as much as possible in the 48 hours after the update on that day.
3) Members have a limit as to how many questions they can ask the Prime Minister.
i) The Leader of the Opposition, who will be informed at least 24 hours before a PMQs, may ask six questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.
ii) Leaders of other parties may ask three questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.
iii) MPs may ask one questions, plus a follow-up question.
iv) Ordinary users may ask one question with no follow-up.
4) The Speaker will close the thread 48 hours after opening it, unless the Prime Minister requests them to keep it open a little longer.
5) The Prime Minister may additionally nominate other government ministers to take Ministerial Questions, subject to the agreement of the Speaker.

To:
1) Prime Minister's Questions can take place on any day by mutual agreement of the Prime Minister and Speaker, having consulted the Leader of the Opposition.
2) The Speaker will create a Prime Minister’s Questions thread in which people may ask the Prime Minister questions. These should, at least roughly, relate to government actions, policies, aims or ideals. The Prime Minister should endeavour to be online as much as possible in the 48 hours after the update on that day.
3) Members have a limit as to how many questions they can ask the Prime Minister.
i) The Leader of the Opposition may ask six questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.
ii) Leaders of other parties may ask three questions, which they may divide up between new and follow-up questions as they wish.
iii) MPs may ask two questions, plus two follow-up questions.
iv) Ordinary users may ask one question with one follow-up.
4) The Speaker will close the thread 48 hours after opening it, unless the Prime Minister requests them to keep it open a little longer.
5) The Prime Minister may additionally nominate other government ministers to take Ministerial Questions, subject to the agreement of the Speaker. This will be run like Prime Minister’s questions, but the Shadow Secretary will be treated like the Leader of the Opposition.

notes

This amendment does two things, firstly it gives MPs and other users more questions. As an MP only having 1 question plus 1 follow up is rather restrictive, and new members may not stick around if they can only ask one question.

Moreover it has been made clearer how minister's questions will be run as this was not made clear before.

The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I see no issues with this amendment, Aye.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
I see no issues with this amendment, Aye.
Likewise.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
And I managed not then muff the formatting. Proof that copying on TSR screws formatting. 😉
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, I like the resemblance to RL in the current system, and there are better places for detailed scrutiny, such as AtG or individual items.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
More questions allows for more debate, and more exposure for the thread on TSR. It's these sorts of threads, I think, which are more likely to gain attention from around the site and it's better to allow new users unfamiliar with us to ask more questions than let them feel restricted by our formalities. This lets the government be held to greater account, which is something I personally support.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is a small and uncontroversial amendment which gets my support.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Aye
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As you’d expect since I’m seconding it, I’ll be voting aye.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
No, I like the resemblance to RL in the current system, and there are better places for detailed scrutiny, such as AtG or individual items.
AtG time and again demonstrated worse for detailed scrutiny with a far greater likelihood of inconvenient questions being ignored with apparently the only way to get answers being to wait for a questions sessions.
SoggyCabbages
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This looks like a reasonable amendment, hence I will be supporting it - aye.
ArunC11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Finally I can say that this may be the first uncontroversial amendment this term, for me it’s a definite:
Aye
EagleKingdom
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A sensible amendment. An aye from me of course.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When will this go to division?
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
When will this go to division?
When I decide it does. 😛
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Division, clear the lobby!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (134)
14.82%
I'm not sure (40)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (273)
30.2%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.43%
I'm not a current university student (435)
48.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed