DCoutts03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have just moved into S4 and am sitting my nat5s this year. I am wanting to study medicine and university and really want 7 As this year. Does anyone have any advice for study time/how long for each subject. I'm good at all my subjects except maths which is my weakness.
My subjects are:
-Maths
-English
-Chemistry
-Biology
-Spanish
-Modern Studies
-Woodwork (this is very easy)
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I got 7 As at N5 - hopefully, I can be some help.

I'd say there are 3 main things:

- Make sure you keep detailed, accurate notes in class which are easy to revise from.
- Keep on top of deadlines for folios, assignments and other work.
- Start looking at past papers in the coming weeks and familiarise yourself with the exam.

In terms of studying - up until prelims - the best thing to do is look over your work from class in the evenings. When it gets closer to the exam period, I found that actually setting 30 mins or an hour for a subject particular nights of the week worked better - particularly if the vast majority of the course had been covered.

Hopefully, this helps a bit - if you need any help with English or Modern Studies, feel free to PM me - doing them at Advanced this year
Last edited by 123543; 3 weeks ago
DCoutts03
Rep:
?
(Original post by 123543)
Hey, I got 7 As at N5 - hopefully, I can be some help.

I'd say there are 3 main things:

- Make sure you keep detailed, accurate notes in class which are easy to revise from.
- Keep on top of deadlines for folios, assignments and other work.
- Start looking at past papers in the coming weeks and familiarise yourself with the exam.

In terms of studying - up until prelims - the best thing to do is look over your work from class in the evenings. When it gets closer to the exam period, I found that actually setting 30 mins or an hour for a subject particular nights of the week worked better - particularly if the vast majority of the course had been covered.

Hopefully, this helps a bit - if you need any help with English or Modern Studies, feel free to PM me
Thanks thats a great help
fucthesqa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Nat 5s don’t matter, don’t waste your time.
Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I got 8 A's at National 5 level, so hopefully I can point you in the right direction:

In class, you may find that taking notes, etc can be quite fast and that due to this, you don't get them in your head as easily. One big factor that helped me is that every time you come home, write these notes into a personal-notebook at home. This also adds to the tidiness of your notes and this means that you could use your school jotters as temporary note jotters until you write them in at home. This also gives some leeway with quick notes you may write in your jotters to have a better understanding at some concepts.

It's always good to stay on top of your studies. At National 5 level, you won't need to worry too much about this, but it is always good to do some revision whenever you can. This prevents cramming in all of your revision right before an exam; which can be bad in multiple ways:

If you have any problems, you have limited time to correct them.

Your stress levels will be through the roof.

It also increases the chance of procrastination as you can't be bothered doing all of your studying at once.

Another quick note to mention is that you should always revise things that you don't get first time. There is no point in revising things that you already know in great detail; this can limit the amount of marks you get had you revised something that you understood less. Make sure to find a revision technique that works for yourself. Some recommendations are as follows:

Mindmaps

Flash cards

Writing-to-remember (the technique that I use)

Even making up acronyms to remember information can be useful. One example off of the top of my head that our Physics teacher used to tell us was:

"The giant monkey killed my uncle Neil"

This was in reference to the Multipliers that you need to know in National 5 Physics (Tera, Giga, Mega, Kilo, Milli, Micro, Nano)

*I can always help you at Mathematics if you require it; I was averaging 98% on every test, so there should be no problem in asking me should you require it.*
DCoutts03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Strelzo)
I got 8 A's at National 5 level, so hopefully I can point you in the right direction:

In class, you may find that taking notes, etc can be quite fast and that due to this, you don't get them in your head as easily. One big factor that helped me is that every time you come home, write these notes into a personal-notebook at home. This also adds to the tidiness of your notes and this means that you could use your school jotters as temporary note jotters until you write them in at home. This also gives some leeway with quick notes you may write in your jotters to have a better understanding at some concepts.

It's always good to stay on top of your studies. At National 5 level, you won't need to worry too much about this, but it is always good to do some revision whenever you can. This prevents cramming in all of your revision right before an exam; which can be bad in multiple ways:

If you have any problems, you have limited time to correct them.

Your stress levels will be through the roof.

It also increases the chance of procrastination as you can't be bothered doing all of your studying at once.

Another quick note to mention is that you should always revise things that you don't get first time. There is no point in revising things that you already know in great detail; this can limit the amount of marks you get had you revised something that you understood less. Make sure to find a revision technique that works for yourself. Some recommendations are as follows:

Mindmaps

Flash cards

Writing-to-remember (the technique that I use)

Even making up acronyms to remember information can be useful. One example off of the top of my head that our Physics teacher used to tell us was:

"The giant monkey killed my uncle Neil"

This was in reference to the Multipliers that you need to know in National 5 Physics (Tera, Giga, Mega, Kilo, Milli, Micro, Nano)

*I can always help you at Mathematics if you require it; I was averaging 98% on every test, so there should be no problem in asking me should you require it.*
Cheers Ii might DM you in the future
Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DCoutts03)
Cheers Ii might DM you in the future
Cool, no problem.

Glad I could be of help.
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I got 8As this year, here are some of my do’s/dont’s

Do:
Try and spend time on all your subjects easily
Ignore how much other people are studying - if you are happy with your amount and doing well then that is fine
Ask your teacher for help if you need it
Do lots of past papers, I went from a D in my prelim to getting an A in mathsbevaude I could recognise the format of many questions from past paper, it’s really the best thing to do for maths

Don’t:
Underestimate assignments - they can make the difference between an A and a B
Put something off because you don’t like it - I hated chemistry but I just kept telling myself that if I do well I can drop the subject after exams
Don’t be disorganised, it will cause you so much stress

Good luck,
DCoutts03
Rep:
?
Cheers man I’ll keep that it mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
10%
Disagree (2)
10%
Neither agree or disagree (6)
30%
Agree (6)
30%
Strongly Agree (4)
20%

Watched Threads