The Student Room Group

Law or Medicine

Which should I choose?
Reply 1
They’re too very different courses. But if your heart isn’t 100% in medicine-go for law.
Try getting experience shadowing a doctor and a lawyer and see which one you can see yourself doing in the future.
Medicine is extremely competitive to get into, but as long as you get into the university, you are practically guaranteed a job in the NHS when you graduate, although there’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to find a job in a law firm.
Original post by epicnm
They’re too very different courses. But if your heart isn’t 100% in medicine-go for law.
Try getting experience shadowing a doctor and a lawyer and see which one you can see yourself doing in the future.
Medicine is extremely competitive to get into, but as long as you get into the university, you are practically guaranteed a job in the NHS when you graduate, although there’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to find a job in a law firm.

The above answer is exactly what you should not be taking in as useful information OP.

If your heart is not in either, which your post does imply, then do not take either of them.

If you enjoy one subject over the other, take that one.

The only good advice the poster above has said was to get work experience.

This isn't about job prospects, it's about what you enjoy more, you're not going to have any job prospects if you wash out of a law degree with a third.
Reply 3
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
The above answer is exactly what you should not be taking in as useful information OP.

If your heart is not in either, which your post does imply, then do not take either of them.

If you enjoy one subject over the other, take that one.

The only good advice the poster above has said was to get work experience.

This isn't about job prospects, it's about what you enjoy more, you're not going to have any job prospects if you wash out of a law degree with a third.

I like both but I don't think ill be able to do medicine because my college won't let me do levels chemistry, biology and math because I got a 5 in math GCSE so I was thinking maybe I should go into law and I did get highest in English GCSE and enjoy English more than chemistry but I also enjoy biology. I only feels wierd now because I was considering medicine for a long time and now am changing to law
Original post by Aliyah H
I like both but I don't think ill be able to do medicine because my college won't let me do levels chemistry, biology and math because I got a 5 in math GCSE so I was thinking maybe I should go into law and I did get highest in English GCSE and enjoy English more than chemistry but I also enjoy biology. I only feels wierd now because I was considering medicine for a long time and now am changing to law

If your heart is in medicine consider retaking your maths.

If it isn't you need to take what you enjoy at A-Level and let that guide you to a degree you'll enjoy.

You don't just switch to Law, this isn't a case of 'picking what is popular and respected'.
Reply 5
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
If your heart is in medicine consider retaking your maths.

If it isn't you need to take what you enjoy at A-Level and let that guide you to a degree you'll enjoy.

You don't just switch to Law, this isn't a case of 'picking what is popular and respected'.

even if I retake math I'm not sure if they'll let me do chem and bio a levels and I like both but I enjoy English more than chemistry
but no matter what job I get I don't want to be stuck at desk all day for the rest of my life

Quick Reply

Latest