The Student Room Group

Confused High Achiever

Hello everyone,
So here is the thing, I’m going to start Sixth Form soon. For all of my primary and secondary life I’ve been known as gifted/clever. I’ve never really took this seriously and have always gone with the flow, never done anything different to anyone else at my state school. I revised normally for GCSEs, and somehow I got all 9s and an 8 in eng lit.
I have no idea what I want to do in life. Some people know they want to be a doctor, or enjoy maths etc, but I just have so far done everything without much preference. I guess the subject I enjoyed the most was probably Geography but I don’t want to do it at A Level.
I have expectations to do something prestige in life like medicine or economics or law, but I don’t know what to actually do.
I feel like I won’t be good enough for maths at top unis for econ because I’ve never seen it as like a hobby / don’t find it fun, just seemed that GCSE was a bit of learning methods. Thats why I don’t want to do further maths a level. Yet I find the ‘humanities’ side to econ interesting.
Don’t feel like I’ve always wanted to be a doctor, but I guess I wouldn’t mind it... I find science and stuff kind of interesting...
And as for Law, I just don’t know a lot about it.
University wise, Oxbridge is out the equation for me - I want a good social life balance where there will be a lot of diversity. Being an asian from one of the countries worst state schools, I couldn’t deal with an elitist uni.
My A Level choices RN are economics, maths, chemistry and biology AS.

I might drop biology or economics after a year.

Now I don’t know when I’m going to have a turning point where I decide what to do.
Can someone help me with some advice, are these subject choices doable together?
Should I do chem maths biology even If I don’t end up going into science - or is too much science and no essay subjects undesirable by top unis.
Thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sa0902
Hello everyone,
So here is the thing, I’m going to start Sixth Form soon. For all of my primary and secondary life I’ve been known as gifted/clever. I’ve never really took this seriously and have always gone with the flow, never done anything different to anyone else at my state school. I revised normally for GCSEs, and somehow I got all 9s and an 8 in eng lit.
I have no idea what I want to do in life. Some people know they want to be a doctor, or enjoy maths etc, but I just have so far done everything without much preference. I guess the subject I enjoyed the most was probably Geography but I don’t want to do it at A Level.
I have expectations to do something prestige in life like medicine or economics or law, but I don’t know what to actually do.
I feel like I won’t be good enough for maths at top unis for econ because I’ve never seen it as like a hobby / don’t find it fun, just seemed that GCSE was a bit of learning methods. Thats why I don’t want to do further maths a level. Yet I find the ‘humanities’ side to econ interesting.
Don’t feel like I’ve always wanted to be a doctor, but I guess I wouldn’t mind it... I find science and stuff kind of interesting...
University wise, Oxbridge is out the equation for me - I want a good social life balance where there will be a lot of diversity. Being an asian from one of the countries worst state schools, I couldn’t deal with an elitist uni.

Now I don’t know when I’m going to have a turning point where I decide what to do.
Can someone help me with some advice, are these subject choices doable together?
Should I do chem maths biology even If I don’t end up going into science - or is too much science and no essay subjects undesirable by top unis.
Thanks in advance

I think those are good subject choices. However I may be a bit bias as I'm also starting sixth form and I'm taking maths chemistry physics + econ. If you want to take a science related degree then maths bio and chem will be good to take for the top unis. But you still have time to decide what you want to do and which ones you want to take to A2. A level is in a lot more depth and you might find that you really like economics and want to do a degree related to that. In that case economics would be good to take to A2. (Then again you don't need economics a level to take an economics degree)

Sorry if that advice didn't really help I guess I'm also in the same position as you. Good luck in sixth form! And congrats in your gcse's those are amazing results.
Original post by sa0902
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance

I was an all-rounder at school too - you will find something that you really want to study.

For now put different subject combinations into here: https://university.which.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Does that give you some different thoughts?
chose the a-level subjects you enjoy and are good at, and you will find the uni course accordingly for you
Reply 4
Congratulations on such great grades! I was also an all rounder at school. I get the impression that areas of study and work all rounders seem to enjoy and do well with include economics, IT,medicine and data type jobs. Your A levels look like good choices to me.
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Congratulations on such great grades! I was also an all rounder at school. I get the impression that areas of study and work all rounders seem to enjoy and do well with include economics, IT,medicine and data type jobs. Your A levels look like good choices to me.

Thanks (: The only doubt I am having is if I should swap bio with further maths as you need further maths for some econ places (LSE) or if I should just rule out LSE for that reason.
Reply 6
Original post by maria_pineappe
I think those are good subject choices. However I may be a bit bias as I'm also starting sixth form and I'm taking maths chemistry physics + econ. If you want to take a science related degree then maths bio and chem will be good to take for the top unis. But you still have time to decide what you want to do and which ones you want to take to A2. A level is in a lot more depth and you might find that you really like economics and want to do a degree related to that. In that case economics would be good to take to A2. (Then again you don't need economics a level to take an economics degree)

Sorry if that advice didn't really help I guess I'm also in the same position as you. Good luck in sixth form! And congrats in your gcse's those are amazing results.

It’s a sticky situation haha . Thanks for the help though (: Do you know much about further maths / how hard it is? I’m torn between doing further maths or biology as a 4th ):
Reply 7
Original post by sa0902
Thanks (: The only doubt I am having is if I should swap bio with further maths as you need further maths for some econ places (LSE) or if I should just rule out LSE for that reason.

I don't know. If you want to do medical/ biosciences related courses biology is very useful (and might be essential). If you might want to do maths or some type of engineering or economics further maths is more useful - and might be essential for some places.

It depends a bit if you want to do 4 or 3. 3 is the normal advice unless one is FM (and a few other possible exceptions). By the way, as you mention LSE are you particularly bothered about being in London for university?
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000
I don't know. If you want to do medical/ biosciences related courses biology is very useful (and might be essential). If you might want to do maths or some type of engineering or economics further maths is more useful - and might be essential for some places.

It depends a bit if you want to do 4 or 3. 3 is the normal advice unless one is FM (and a few other possible exceptions). By the way, as you mention LSE are you particularly bothered about being in London for university?

I mean I don’t really mind, but I feel for Econ in particular, London unis seem to be the most ‘useful’ in relation to future careers, right??
If I was to do Medicine, I don’t care where I do that, because all Med degrees give you the same outcome.

I guess what would make sense is If I did Maths, Bio, Chem and further maths, but that seems wayy to difficult and I would kind of miss an essay subject or an ‘easier’ subject. Urghh so difficult lol
Reply 9
Original post by sa0902
I mean I don’t really mind, but I feel for Econ in particular, London unis seem to be the most ‘useful’ in relation to future careers, right??
If I was to do Medicine, I don’t care where I do that, because all Med degrees give you the same outcome.

I guess what would make sense is If I did Maths, Bio, Chem and further maths, but that seems wayy to difficult and I would kind of miss an essay subject or an ‘easier’ subject. Urghh so difficult lol

Not my area of expertise but UCL and LSE along with Warwick seem to be top places to study heavily quantitative economics. All are hard to get into regardless of subject choices and grades. There are plenty of other good universities. It might also be worth looking at MORSE courses (particularly Warwick) to see if thats something that might interest you.

Agreed - its a difficult and pretty horrible choice. A levels are far too limited in number.
Reply 10
Original post by ajj2000
Not my area of expertise but UCL and LSE along with Warwick seem to be top places to study heavily quantitative economics. All are hard to get into regardless of subject choices and grades. There are plenty of other good universities. It might also be worth looking at MORSE courses (particularly Warwick) to see if thats something that might interest you.

Agreed - its a difficult and pretty horrible choice. A levels are far too limited in number.

That MORSE sounds interesting, will have a look at that. Thanks for your help btw, really appreciate it (:
Original post by sa0902
That MORSE sounds interesting, will have a look at that. Thanks for your help btw, really appreciate it (:

I wish someone had mentioned MORSE to be when I was 16 - looks pretty amazing. I think Southampton, Cardiff and Lancaster also have similar courses. I read some reports by people who had done the Warwick course - they had some really interesting careers as a result of the course.
Reply 12
Original post by sa0902
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance

Those A levels are fine for most universities.

i am 3 years older than you, due to go to university in a few weeks and still having doubts. You have ages to decide, don't panic
Original post by sa0902
For all of my primary and secondary life I’ve been known as gifted/clever. I’ve never really took this seriously

That's a great approach.

Original post by sa0902

Original post by sa0902

Medicine is a massive investment of time and money. Don't do it unless you're passionate about it.

Original post by sa0902

'A' level is quite different from GCSE, and you get a chance to really get into a subject.

Original post by sa0902
University wise, Oxbridge is out the equation for me - I want a good social life balance where there will be a lot of diversity.

You should visit. You will get anmnoying rich kids at any university (although far fewer than you seem to imagine) - it's your choice of whether you want the thick ones.

Pick the best university and course combination for you. There's a far broader range of people at Oxbridge than you seem to think.

Original post by sa0902
Being an asian from one of the countries worst state schools, I couldn’t deal with an elitist uni.

What concerns you? Didn't you get (accademically) 'elitist' GCSE grades?

It appears that you have a stereotypical view of Oxbridge. It wasn't right even 30 years ago when I went (from a state comprehensive). IMO, Oxbridge makes massive efforts and allowances to get candidates from as wide a range of backgrounds as possible, but they can't admit them if they don't apply! If you think that there's a problem, be part of the solution.

Original post by sa0902

An essay subject would help if you decide to pursue Law. Go with what you enjoy most though.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by mpcwa
Those A levels are fine for most universities.

i am 3 years older than you, due to go to university in a few weeks and still having doubts. You have ages to decide, don't panic

That is calming to hear. I might be overthinking it with trying to find exact uni courses to do :/ Which A Levels did you do?
Reply 15
Original post by sa0902
That is calming to hear. I might be overthinking it with trying to find exact uni courses to do :/ Which A Levels did you do?

Yeah you are lol, I wish I was back in your position.

Maths, Chem, Bio
Reply 16
Original post by RogerOxon
That's a great approach.

Medicine is a massive investment of time and money. Don't do it unless you're passionate about it.

'A' level is quite different from GCSE, and you get a chance to really get into a subject.

You should visit. You will get anmnoying rich kids at any university (although far fewer than you seem to imagine) - it's your choice of whether you want the thick ones.

Pick the best university and course combination for you. There's a far broader range of people at Oxbridge than you seem to think.

What concerns you? Didn't you get (accademically) 'elitist' GCSE grades?

It appears that you have a stereotypical view of Oxbridge. It wasn't right even 30 years ago when I went (from a state comprehensive). IMO, Oxbridge makes massive efforts and allowances to get candidates from as wide a range of backgrounds as possible, but they can't admit them if they don't apply! If you think that there's a problem, be part of the solution.

An essay subject would help if you decide to pursue Law. Go with what you enjoy most though.

What’s a great approach?

And yeah I guess I am being a bit stereotypical with Oxbridge. I feel like the thing is for me is that I do want a big part of the social city uni experience, but then i guess I wouldn’t get that at some other unis too.
I did visit Oxford in year 11, and had an unbiased approach when I went there. Some people in my class enjoyed it, but I just didn’t know if I could see myself there. I do know some people that have gone there from state schools, and they have done well, but I wouldn’t say they enjoyed it.
Oxford are admitting a much more diverse cohort these days to be fair.
and about medicine, I think you have a point there.
Reply 17
Original post by mpcwa
Yeah you are lol, I wish I was back in your position.

Maths, Chem, Bio

How did you find them ?
Original post by sa0902
What’s a great approach?

Not taking the gifted/clever label too seriously.

Original post by sa0902
And yeah I guess I am being a bit stereotypical with Oxbridge. I feel like the thing is for me is that I do want a big part of the social city uni experience

Why do you think that's missing at Oxbridge? Oxford and Cambridge aren't huge. I actually found that the colleges were more social than a large university.

Original post by sa0902
I did visit Oxford in year 11, and had an unbiased approach when I went there. Some people in my class enjoyed it, but I just didn’t know if I could see myself there. I do know some people that have gone there from state schools, and they have done well, but I wouldn’t say they enjoyed it.

What makes you not able to see yourself there?

What didn't they enjoy? Some may struggle accademically, but most don't - they only admit people that they think will do well.
(edited 4 years ago)
Your choices are solid. You can be a medical student, even do economics(banker's have prestige), Law doesn't require A level law(only interest and good grades). You could also consider dropping Economics, because Maths is more important to do Economics at uni. Replace that with Physics and you could always be an engineer. Many paths to prestigious jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest