How late can you be with your rent in halls?

Watch this thread
Technerd235
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My student maintainence loan will not cover my first rent instalment cost and I am going to be a least £600 short when the first maintainence loan comes in, I have 3 weeks between getting the first maintainence loan and having to pay the first rent I installment so am hoping to find some work straightaway when I start as well as putting as much money away before I go. Despite my efforts I'm likely going to come up short on the first rent payment, typically how lenient are universities in regards to late rent payments? Will they allow for a couple of weeks/months to pay the loan instalment or will they charge interest/evict me pretty quickly?
Many thanks
Hello34
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Technerd235)
My student maintainence loan will not cover my first rent instalment cost and I am going to be a least £600 short when the first maintainence loan comes in, I have 3 weeks between getting the first maintainence loan and having to pay the first rent I installment so am hoping to find some work straightaway when I start as well as putting as much money away before I go. Despite my efforts I'm likely going to come up short on the first rent payment, typically how lenient are universities in regards to late rent payments? Will they allow for a couple of weeks/months to pay the loan instalment or will they charge interest/evict me pretty quickly?
Many thanks
Most unis, if you explain yourself to them they will understand and give you leniency. Some might even allow you to pay what you can first and then the rest of it later

I would suggest that you later on call the university accommodation people and ask them personally so you can have the answers, you can also email them (though it would take longer to get a response. But I recommend emailing as you have proof of what they said and can look back on it later).
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Technerd235)
Many thanks
If you contact them and explain the situation, they are very likely to be understanding (at least for a few weeks). Whatever you do, don't just not pay and hope it won't get noticed - that's likely to result in you being kicked out/fined.
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
When is your instalment due? Once you have the keys it will take them time to kick you out, although they may fine you. But if you don't pay on time they may refuse to hand over the keys. Better to talk to them. Some will rearrange your payments. Can you get an overdraft?
Technerd235
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I get my keys 3 weeks before my first installment is due so no problems there, I've already used the majority of my overdraft paying the deposit for my room and buying various necessities like a laptop etc that are essential to my course so I'm a bit f****d in that area. im hoping to have nearly enough to cover the rent by the date it's due but there's a chance I might not so just wanted to check that I wouldn't be kicked out if I'm a few weeks late lol. I'm gonna ring them up anyway and see if there's any way of pushing the date back a bit to give me some time to get the correct amount
sturner288
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Did you get kicked out omg
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (42)
16.03%
The paper was reasonable (132)
50.38%
Not feeling great about that exam... (65)
24.81%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
8.78%

Watched Threads