The Student Room Group

i am not sure how i should study for my exams

i am going in to year 11 exam year and i am not sure how i can study i struggle writing and reading and spelling so i find it hard and i have a poor memory so i am not sure how i can study i have tried highlighting and note taking but it does not seem to help i am not sure about what i should do to study for my mocks and end of year exams i want to study so i can get the best grade i can get but i want to make sure that i put the work in at home but i am not sure how i can do this any ideas are welcome i could really do with the help on this
Original post by Alice summers
i am going in to year 11 exam year and i am not sure how i can study i struggle writing and reading and spelling so i find it hard and i have a poor memory so i am not sure how i can study i have tried highlighting and note taking but it does not seem to help i am not sure about what i should do to study for my mocks and end of year exams i want to study so i can get the best grade i can get but i want to make sure that i put the work in at home but i am not sure how i can do this any ideas are welcome i could really do with the help on this

start straightaway. don't wait until nearer to your exams to start writing notes and flashcards etc. Remember the part of note taking that will really help you learn is actually writing the notes. Personally I rewrote my notes 2-3 times so I would really learn the concepts. Then once you have a good understanding do so many practice papers, questions etc. This is the best way to revise. Also if you have mini tests or something in class, revise for them properly as that will make revising everything at the end so much easier. Good luck
Hi, good luck with Year 11!
I’m now going into sixth form after my GCSE year and I agree with the comment above- start as soon as you can with revision resources! That way you will not be wasting time in March/April time creating these when you could be properly revising. I think for most subjects (especially humanities, sciences, languages and English quotes) it’s important to keep looking over any notes made. Try to look over any work completed each day, or, summarise what you have learnt on a flash card/ poster with the most important information as it will be easier to absorb. I also found some websites super useful, such as:
Maths: Maths Genie (practise questions for any topic with answers) and Corbett Maths (I did a 5-a-Day each day of Year 11 and it helps to improve your skills across the entire syllabus).
English- Stacey Reay and Mr Salles on YouTube are amazing- I wrote notes using their FP 9 videos and they helped me achieve my grade- so definitely worth while. Also, practise papers are a must- it helps get you into the style of essay writing (you could get these marked by a teacher). Also, use your teachers! They will be able to spend time going over anything you might not understand in a way that you feel you can learn best and they could give you resources too, I found that this really helped me and often means you feel much more prepared.
Sciences- we had a website called Educake which was amazing, but if not you can use Primrose Kitten or FreeScienceLessons for bursts of knowledge for certain topics. Sometimes listening and using visuals can help you to remember things better, especially when paired with anything previously written.
Languages- Quizlet was my best friend for languages, as you can create personalised flash cards which helped for recalling vocab or grammar. (Often it comes up with the definition for a word you have typed in, so it is hugely efficient and prevents any spelling errors.)
It’s just important to be consistent, but saying that, it is vital to have breaks doing things you love and do not go into full revision mode too early- creating notes from the start might only mean spending an hour or so at each weekend for a good few months. When it starts to become closer to GCSEs, time will fly so definitely have an idea each day of what you want to achieve. The best advice I can give is to stay consistent and not to burn yourself out. If you feel the need to stop, go and do something you enjoy, you’ll deserve it! Best of luck, and I hope these tips were useful. :smile:
thanks

Quick Reply

Latest