[EXTREMELY URGENT!!] A-Level Decisions!! ONLY 3 days left to decide.

Watch
JanhaviPurkar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Okay, so I've just started my AS Level and I'm in my second week now. I have to confirm my options in 3 days and I'm still extremely confused.

So basically, I've confirmed Further Maths, Maths and Physics.
However, for my last subject, I'm really confused between Economics and Chemistry.

I want to carry on all 4 subjects to A2 and my exam board will be CIE. Additionally, I'm not exactly sure what I want to do at uni but for now, I think something in Maths and Statistics.

In a nutshell, my A-Levels are: FM, Math, Physics, (Chem OR Econs?)

With Econs, my workload will probably be less however Econs doesn't really open any options. With Chem, my workload will be incredibly heavy and I'm not confident about doing it.

I didn't do Econs at IGCSE, so I have no idea how that'll go. I did do Chem at IGCSE (and literally just made it to an A*– however, I found the content quite confusing and it took me a while to understand, after many tears and hard work)

Please give advice and opinions, hopefully by people who've done these subjects too.
Last edited by JanhaviPurkar; 1 year ago
Monsur x
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Economics will be better for u and it includes maths and will open doors for u
Also u didn’t like Chem that much and didn’t really understand it so for A levels ofc u won’t and it’ll be extremely difficult for you
Last edited by Monsur x; 1 year ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JanhaviPurkar)
Okay, so I've just started my AS Level and I'm in my second week now. I have to confirm my options in 3 days and I'm still extremely confused.

So basically, I've confirmed Further Maths, Maths and Physics.
However, for my last subject, I'm really confused between Economics and Chemistry.

I want to carry on all 4 subjects to A2 and my exam board will be CIE. Additionally, I'm not exactly sure what I want to do at uni but for now, I think something in Maths and Statistics.

In a nutshell, my A-Levels are: FM, Math, Physics, (Chem OR Econs?)

With Econs, my workload will probably be less however Econs doesn't really open any options. With Chem, my workload will be incredibly heavy and I'm not confident about doing it.

I didn't do Econs at IGCSE, so I have no idea how that'll go. I did do Chem at IGCSE (and literally just made it to an A*– however, I found the content quite confusing and it took me a while to understand, after many tears and hard work)

Please give advice and opinions, hopefully by people who've done these subjects too.
Firstly, do you have to do 4 subjects since unis only want 3?

Secondly, if you do have to do 4 I would pick Economics since it's easier and you definitely don't need to have studied it before to cope with it at A level. You were already struggling with Chemistry at IGCSE so that does not sound like it would be a sensible choice
maddened
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
so I actually knew a girl who studied 5 subjects for A levels so potentially you don't need to choose between though I wouldn't recommend it as she was quite overwhelmed it brought down her grades in her other subjects.

when I was choosing subjects in the end it came down to which one felt sure I would get a better mark in at the end. in terms of getting into competitive unis this was a good move but then again if you are confident that you will do well regardless it would perhaps be wiser to choose the subject that you will get more out of.

it's defo worth looking into which subject your potential universities are more interested in you studying.
F12Ak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From what you've said, chemistry doesn't seem like the subject for you. I recommend having a look at the specification for the CIE economics & chemistry course. Why do you need 4 A-levels anyway? Are you confident you can get top grades in an 4 subjects, not letting one subject slip? Only Imperial make an offer for A-levels I believe and anyway, economics and chemistry won't be relevant to a maths related course.

If you really insist on 4 A-levels then I suggest economics for you and see how AS goes, if it's too much then drop it after AS. I think picking chemistry will be a mistake as you said yourself you're not confident and found it confusing at GCSE (it gets a lot worse at AS and A2 btw). Chemistry is regarded as one of the hardest A-levels.
JanhaviPurkar
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thanks for replying so quickly guys. So the thing is, I'm thinking of applying to the US and I know they like broader subjects, which is why I'm thinking about 4 A-levels.

I also realise I made Chemistry sound like a horrible experience, but don't get me wrong. I did enjoy Chemistry, and honestly speaking it was probably one of my favourite IGCSE subjects (because it was interesting). The only thing is that I also had to put in the most effort to do well in it (almost as much as English Lit). I guess I'm just not confident about doing good in it. In my year group, I already know 4 kids doing (FM, Phys, Chem) and 2 kids doing (FM, Phys, Econs).

I presume both subject options are good but I'm just really worried about making the wrong choice. I'm just worried that when it steps up to A2, it shouldn't be unbearable for me if you get what I mean.
F12Ak
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JanhaviPurkar)
The only thing is that I also had to put in the most effort to do well in it
Chemistry will only get harder, more intense and the workload will be a lot bigger, it's one of the hardest A-levels for a reason. I'm going into Y13 next week but I did bio, chemistry, physics and maths at AS and found chemistry to be the most difficult, others in my year agree. There are loads of concepts to get your head around and you need to be good at applying these concepts to pick up good marks. I'm sure you will do well with the calculations part of it as you seem good at maths, but calculations make up a smaller part (on my exam spec at least).

Why don't you do biology or a social science instead? They will be less stressful and will show broadness. Biology is just memorising and applying and a bit of statistics. But like I said, have a look at the online specification and see if you are confident that you can get a good grade in it, without letting your other grades slip.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (174)
44.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
10.94%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.14%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.12%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (39)
9.92%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.6%

Watched Threads