The Student Room Group

A levels for medicine- would biology chemistry and history put me at a disadvantage?

Hi, I have to pick my a levels by tomorrow and want to study medicine. I know that most people take biology chemistry and maths and I would be happy to do this but really love history so would prefer to do biology chemistry history and an AS in maths. If possible I would take the AS in history but my school doesn’t offer that option. So my question is would not having a full a level in maths put me at a disadvantage (I know the unis say it wouldn’t but am wondering whether it’s a sort of unwritten preference)?
Unis don’t care about your third A Level unless you wanted to go to Oxbridge. The most important thing is whether you’re confident that you can get an A/A*. I did biology, chemistry and music (not your classic trio of A Levels)
Original post by upbeat4
Unis don’t care about your third A Level unless you wanted to go to Oxbridge. The most important thing is whether you’re confident that you can get an A/A*. I did biology, chemistry and music (not your classic trio of A Levels)

Thank you. Do you think you had to make up for not having maths in other ways such as more work experience or did they just genuinely not care about not having maths?
Original post by cantthinkofaus3r
Thank you. Do you think you had to make up for not having maths in other ways such as more work experience or did they just genuinely not care about not having maths?

As long as you meet their biology/chemistry requirements, it honestly doesn't matter. Music isn't exactly the most academic of subjects and I still got 3 interviews out fo 4
I have a friend who's going to be doing medicine at a Russell group this year, and she did biology, chemistry and French - so history will be absolutely fine! She also didn't do any kind of 'extra' maths things. The third A level is pretty unimportant, you just need good grades :smile: if you love history, do it!
Reply 5
Original post by cantthinkofaus3r
Hi, I have to pick my a levels by tomorrow and want to study medicine. I know that most people take biology chemistry and maths and I would be happy to do this but really love history so would prefer to do biology chemistry history and an AS in maths. If possible I would take the AS in history but my school doesn’t offer that option. So my question is would not having a full a level in maths put me at a disadvantage (I know the unis say it wouldn’t but am wondering whether it’s a sort of unwritten preference)?

Hi! It seriously doesn’t matter at all what your third subject is- lots of ppl regret taking maths at a level (if they took it for the sake of doing med) because they’re not passionate about it and then later realise that it’s absolutely not necessary for uni to study med. I myself am doing biology, chemistry and history and hope to study dentistry. My older sister did bio, chemistry and history and is going to study medicine at a prestigious university starting September. Honestly do history, maths is not worth it and you’ll realise how time consuming it is at AS and be pleased you’re dropping it. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest