The Student Room Group

Will my A-Level choices limit me?

Hi guys! I will be starting sixth form very soon and am struggling to finalise my A-Level options.

A little background information: For my GCSEs, I achieved the grades: 9999988887 (with an 8 for both Maths and English Lang). My biggest aspiration is to get into Oxbridge or any leading university one day.

I’m not sure about what course I would like to pursue in the future as my interests have constantly changed throughout the past few months. The main courses which have taken my interest are Economics and Architecture (very different courses I know!)

The current A-Level choices I have put down are: Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Art but I fear these options will limit me if my interests change again as the only facilitating subject I really have is Maths.

I’ve chosen this combination of options as Maths goes well with either Art (if I wish to pursue Architecture) or Economics. I have chosen Further Maths as I believe it’ll make me more of a competitive candidate for Economics if I wish to apply for this course in the future. I’ve contemplated whether or not to swap Economics with something like Physics, which is more open as I’ve found that I don’t necessarily need Economics A-Level to pursue a degree in it. Art is a genuine passion of mine and I’d be quite reluctant to drop it.

I guess what I’m trying to ask is are my A-Level options good? If I do decide on Economics in the future, will I be viewed in the eyes of universities like LSE and Cambridge as a less competitive candidate seeing as I’ve taken Art, which doesn’t necessarily correlate to Economics? I’ve also heard that LSE only consider applicants who take Further Maths as a 4th A-Level. Any replies will be heavily appreciated, thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ayieitsvanessa
Hi guys! I will be starting sixth form very soon and am struggling to finalise my A-Level options.

A little background information: For my GCSEs, I achieved the grades: 9999988887 (with an 8 for both Maths and English Lang). My biggest aspiration is to get into Oxbridge or any leading university one day.

I’m not sure about what course I would like to pursue in the future as my interests have constantly changed throughout the past few months. The main courses which have taken my interest are Economics and Architecture (very different courses I know!)

The current A-Level choices I have put down are: Economics, Maths, Further Maths and Art but I fear these options will limit me if my interests change again as the only facilitating subject I really have is Maths.

I’ve chosen this combination of options as Maths goes well with either Art (if I wish to pursue Architecture) or Economics. I have chosen Further Maths as I believe it’ll make me more of a competitive candidate for Economics if I wish to apply for this course in the future. I’ve contemplated whether or not to swap Economics with something like Physics, which is more open as I’ve found that I don’t necessarily need Economics A-Level to pursue a degree in it. Art is a genuine passion of mine and I’d be quite reluctant to drop it.

I guess what I’m trying to ask is are my A-Level options good? If I do decide on Economics in the future, will I be viewed in the eyes of universities like LSE and Cambridge as a less competitive candidate seeing as I’ve taken Art, which doesn’t necessarily correlate to Economics? I’ve also heard that LSE only consider applicants who take Further Maths as a 4th A-Level. Any replies will be heavily appreciated, thanks!

Firstly, a big well done to your amazing GCSE results!

I am going into year 13 this September and also hope to go to Oxbridge (Oxford) to study Medicine, so I'm not an expert on those A Levels, and it would definitely be worth talking to your head of sixth form (or college equivalent) about this, but I'll try to help as much as I can. While Economics, Maths, and Further Maths all seem to make perfect sense for your ambition to study Economics (Economics is considered a facilitating subject for Economics courses, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being a 'less respected' A Level), Art is slightly more questionable. I struggled with a similar problem in the summer of year 11- I wanted to take drama as my fourth (with Maths, Bio and Chem) but ended up deciding on English because it would facilitate humanities if I decided I hated science. If you are seriously considering Architecture as an alternative career then Art seems the way to go, but if it's only a safety choice, then maybe consider a facilitating essay subject like English or History or even Geography rather than physics. As there is often lots of writing in the job of an economist, Universities respect essay subjects for economics, and if you decide you don't want to do Economics after all, a facilitating essay subject will make you a more well rounded candidate. Physics is also facilitating, but I guess makes slightly less sense as it doesn't fit as well as an essay subject would for economics or art would for architecture.

I guess it also depends on how much work Art A Level would be compared to your other A Levels. Like your passion for Art, I love Drama, but a big deciding factor in not taking it at A Level is that I knew how much time would be taken up rehearsing and doing coursework, and as it was a subject that didn't matter so much for my favourite course, I took a subject I knew would take up less time (English is my best subject so requires less effort)- don't underestimate the intense workload of A Levels, it is definitely a step up.

Hope this helps- you could also try emailing admissions at Oxbridge to see their stance on Art as a fourth.
Reply 2
Original post by ayieitsvanessa

Honestly, your 4 A-Levels are more than fine.

You’re doing 3 very academically rigorous subjects, while Art shows another side to you and if anything makes you more well rounded. You wouldn’t be discriminated against for picking Art if you’ve got Maths, Further Maths and Economics to go along with it.

At A-Level, the advice is to always pick the subjects you enjoy. You’re more likely to do well in something if you pick the subjects you enjoy. Don’t just pick History or something if you hate it just because you think it’ll make you appeal more.
Reply 3
Firstly, big congratulations on your gcse results! As the users said above, the four subjects you’ve chosen work really well with either Economics related courses or Architecture. I can’t confirm this, but I believe architecture applications look for a portfolio, so a creative side as well as having a strong maths related background, so your options definitely facilitate that route as well as economics. Further maths is definitely a great option for economics as well, I believe some Unis like Oxford and LSE prefer candidates to have it.

I think your main struggle will be workload. Art is a very time consuming a level, as it takes a long time to do all the coursework elements (from speaking to people in my year), and that might overshadow your maths and economics work too much. Though you can always start off with four a levels and see if you no longer enjoy a certain subject. Good luck for sixth form, it goes by really quickly!

Quick Reply

Latest