At the end of a level 3 IT apprenticeship, where to go now? Watch

MiniGianni
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
As the title states, I'm at the end of my level 3 apprenticeship and just waiting to hear back from BCS. I was curious as to what I can do, and what would be advised from here?

The company I'm currently at (Or at least the IT department) is quite stale, not really any development or training provided. Would it be wise to stick with them, stay at a low salary and do a level 4? As I've got nearing on 2 years helpdesk experience I could potential find a role within another company, whether that would provide me with some movement at all, even if I can find a trainee position? That'd potentially get me a higher salary to start putting some savings away at least. What areas would people recommend?

Not 100% sure at this stage, will need to make my mind up soon but management have been awfully slow at discussing any of this further than the most basic suggestions.

Cheers all!
Kaliwax
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
What I'd do is a level 4 apprenticeship with a different company, and perhaps use your experience on the helpdesks to move into different teams such as server team or a network team. I'm currently doing a Level 3, and where I'm based, we have a help desk team, network/systems team, a software team, server team and the comms team. So, maybe try and get a level 4 apprenticeship with a different employer, try ringing training provides for advice and maybe try and look on apprenticeship websites for some things.

Don't fancy that then Uni, doing a computer science degree or something with a placement year, but since you've got 2 years experience and a Level 3 apprenticeship it makes more sense what I'd do is to do a level 4 one.

I hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (39)
7.59%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (299)
58.17%
No (176)
34.24%

Watched Threads