Turn on thread page Beta

Capital Punishment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Actually, nope. It costs less to keep someone in prison for life than it does to go through all the appeals needed before you can actually get them executed.
    That's where the system goes wrong- appeals. In America you have people on Death Row for over 10 years while all the appeals go through. If they're going to kill them, what's the point in dragging it out? It's just a waste of money. I know some people might be proved innocent at a later date, so I think one appeal should be allowed if there is any doubt, but no more than one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    That's where the system goes wrong- appeals. In America you have people on Death Row for over 10 years while all the appeals go through. If they're going to kill them, what's the point in dragging it out? It's just a waste of money. I know some people might be proved innocent at a later date, so I think one appeal should be allowed if there is any doubt, but no more than one.
    And if they still get it wrong then it's just a case of "opps, sorry, we'll try better next time"?

I think that's disgusting frankly.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, nope. It costs less to keep someone in prison for life than it does to go through all the appeals needed before you can actually get them executed.
    how do you know this? we aint executed people in the UK for donkeys years...

and whats this tripe about appeals? guilty - bang - end of story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    how do you know this? we aint executed people in the UK for donkeys years...

and whats this tripe about appeals? guilty - bang - end of story.
    Funnily enough, I'm talking about the US. Where they have years of appeals before anybody actually gets executed.

ReputationRep:
    Funnily enough, I'm talking about the US. Where they have years of appeals before anybody actually gets executed.
    and we have to follow that example?

i think not

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a controversial topic, but I think that even murderers etc. have a right to life. Yes, they have committed horrific crimes; but you should pity rather than condemn them for having such twisted minds. Let's face it, you'd have to be messed up to be able to commit crimes like that. They should be locked away for life, but not killed! Just because they are incapable of compassion, it doesn't mean you shouldn't feel any too.

I'm not sure whether my mind would change on this topic if someone I was close to was a victim - I really can't say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    I know it's a controversial topic, but I think that even murderers etc. have a right to life. Yes, they have committed horrific crimes; but you should pity rather than condemn them for having such twisted minds. Let's face it, you'd have to be messed up to be able to commit crimes like that. They should be locked away for life, but not killed! Just because they are incapable of compassion, it doesn't mean you shouldn't feel any too.

I'm not sure whether my mind would change on this topic if someone I was close to was a victim - I really can't say.
    yep...a fine life spending the rest of it in a 6x8 cell while costing the tax payer thousands every year.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be worse to have to live with what you did, although I am reading Crime and Punishment at the mo, so that might have something to do with it. I am totally against Capital Punishment, its hypocritical because you're committing a crime exactly the same as the criminal in case of murder etc. Also the margin for error is too high. Has anyone seen the Life of David Gale? That is a good film for this argument. Also, I really do think death is the easy way out - it's not really a punishment in the long run. IT would be better to live for life in a tiny prision cell, to 'accept suffering' for what you have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzie1)
    I think it would be worse to have to live with what you did, although I am reading Crime and Punishment at the mo, so that might have something to do with it. I am totally against Capital Punishment, its hypocritical because you're committing a crime exactly the same as the criminal in case of murder etc. Also the margin for error is too high. Has anyone seen the Life of David Gale? That is a good film for this argument. Also, I really do think death is the easy way out - it's not really a punishment in the long run. IT would be better to live for life in a tiny prision cell, to 'accept suffering' for what you have done.
    i dont buy this "its not a punishment" theory myself

what is "punishment" is wasting money housing, guarding and feeding them forever when we could dispose of them and spend the money on some school, hospital, or public transport system.

i cant see how a multiple murderer or child abuser for example should be given any protection at all.

i think with the advances in science happening all the time, and in the future, the margin of error that exists in everything in life, could be decreased.

ReputationRep:
    and we have to follow that example?

i think not
    if you look at Illinois, over the last four years 17 death row inmates in the nation have been found innocent and freed.

if there wasn't an adequate appeals procedure in place, these 17 would now be dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    if you look at Illinois, over the last four years 17 death row inmates in the nation have been found innocent and freed.

if there wasn't an adequate appeals procedure in place, these 17 would now be dead.
    it would certainly be unfortunate, i dont deny that. not sure of the exact runnings of the american system. does a jury have to be unanimous (spelling?), or just have a majority, if someone is to be sent to death?

on a tangent, its likely a few thousand innocent people have been killed in war zones this very day alone. not saying its acceptable, just pointing out that the world is a terrible place

ReputationRep:
    it would certainly be unfortunate, i dont deny that. not sure of the exact runnings of the american system. does a jury have to be unanimous (spelling?), or just have a majority, if someone is to be sent to death?

on a tangent, its likely a few thousand innocent people have been killed in war zones this very day alone. not saying its acceptable, just pointing out that the world is a terrible place
    i'm not sure about your first question, i would think a majority in the certain states which allow the death penalty would be sufficient.

i don't see the relevance of your second point at all, you've pointed out youself that you're not saying it's acceptable, seems a bit of a shoddy point to make.

ReputationRep:
    And if they still get it wrong then it's just a case of "opps, sorry, we'll try better next time"?

I think that's disgusting frankly.
    With all the evidence they now have related to science, there's much less chance of them getting it wrong. DNA, for example, does not lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    i'm not sure about your first question, i would think a majority in the certain states which allow the death penalty would be sufficient.

i don't see the relevance of your second point at all, you've pointed out youself that you're not saying it's acceptable, seems a bit of a shoddy point to make.
    well it was a random tangent.

just saying innocent people die in huge numbers every day. it would obviously be the same with capital punishment, that some innocent people would be wrongly executed.

i think there will be a day in the future when we can be certain of who does what...and then the question might return with more force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzie1)
    Murderers have no compassion, therefore they would feel no guilt or suffering. The only suffering is felt by the victim's family. I'd hardly call being given somewhere to live rent free, having all your cooking and cleaning done for you, generally being looked after and given the freedom to wander around the library, the gym, the grounds and even have parties and trips 'suffering.' What a joke :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    With all the evidence they now have related to science, there's much less chance of them getting it wrong. DNA, for example, does not lie.
    Until they can have 100% certainty, it's still disgusting. Frankly, I doubt they'll ever get that far. Sure science is improving, but it isn't perfect.

ReputationRep:
    DNA in itself may not lie, but the methods of obtaining it are open to human error, cross-contamination and malicious intent.

ReputationRep:
    Murderers have no compassion, therefore they would feel no guilt or suffering. The only suffering is felt by the victim's family. I'd hardly call being given somewhere to live rent free, having all your cooking and cleaning done for you, generally being looked after and given the freedom to wander around the library, the gym, the grounds and even have parties and trips 'suffering.' What a joke :rolleyes:
    I'm pretty sure that a lot of murderers are sorry about what they've done actually. And what about the family of the murderer, what have they done to deserve to see their son/daughter die? Any person who had to deal with the death of a loved one who then would wish the same thing on another family in the name of "justice" is a complete hyprocite.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that a lot of murderers are sorry about what they've done actually. And what about the family of the murderer, what have they done to deserve to see their son/daughter die? Any person who had to deal with the death of a loved one who then would wish the same thing on another family in the name of "justice" is a complete hyprocite.
    i wonder if they are sorry, or sorry they were caught?
    if the murderer gave themselves in straight away, i might believe they were truly sorry.

i believe if you murder someone, you forfeit all your rights

ReputationRep:
    well it was a random tangent.

just saying innocent people die in huge numbers every day. it would obviously be the same with capital punishment, that some innocent people would be wrongly executed.
    that stinks of a "shoot them all and let god sort them out" mentality. using the fact that innocent people die every day doesn't justify ignoring the fact that people are being wrongly executed.

so you think that we should scrap the american-style appeal system as well as sending people to death, just so it's cheaper and the fact people die everyday so one more won't hurt?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.