The Student Room Group

Computer Science A Level

I'm taking A Level Comp Sci this September and was wondering what level my programming skills are expected to be at for the commencement of the course? I'm pretty confident with GCSE level stuff but I was wondering the kinds of things we'll be starting off with, so if anyone has done A Level computer science please let me know! Thanks a lot.
A-Level Computer Science doesn't assume you know anything about programming. I don't know what board you're taking, but from my experience, by the end of it, you really only have to be fairly competent in one high-level language (Python, Java, C, Delphi), and depending on what exam board you take, you may have to do HTML and SQL. But they really are taught from scratch, even when you go to university to computer science they don't really expect you to know much programming.

Hope this helps, and if you got along with programming in GCSE, then you should be alright for A-Level. Personally, I would recommend not going through the pain that is A-Level (or GCSE, but you've done that) Computer Science, as it is so unlike what you'll do at degree-level computer science, or in a computer-oriented job. But it can be fun in places.

Quick Reply

Latest