The Student Room Group

Scraped a car getting out of a space and now I’m panicking?!

Please someone read and let me know what might happen - I’m absolutely terrified of the repercussions. So I parked my car down a very tiny alleyway. When it came to getting out of the space, I needed to turn around, so used a nearby driveway to reverse into. Because this road is so small, it still required a LOT of adjusting. There was a car parked on the other side of the driveway (very close to the curb) which was an ‘03 car and already pretty banged up. After about 5 minutes of manoeuvring, I thought I had cleared all the cars so pulled away but ended up scraping the car on the back right side. I was on a hill so thought it safest to drive away, park up, and then come back. Five minutes later, having written my note giving my phone number and many many “sorry”s, I went back to the car to put the note on its windshield. There was another note already there from a neighbour who said he had seen the accident and filmed it, and for the driver to call him as I had driven away (he didn’t realise I was driving away just to come back safely). He left his number so I called him and he came down and said he agreed the guy had parked in a terrible spot and he was worried about getting out of his drive too. He reassured me not to worry as I had left all my details, but I feel absolutely horrible now. I took pictures of the accident (it’s a tiny paint scraping) so I have evidence of what it looks like, and of course I left my details, but I feel so sick now. I’ve literally been physically sick with the guilt, it’s trigger a massive anxiety attack and I can’t stop panicking and worrying about what will happen to me. Please someone let me know what could happen. Like I said, his car had scrapes and bumps and dents all over it and was rusty too so it’s not like it’s the most treasured car in the world, but I’m so nervous the owner will file a police report or something or I’ll lose my licence. I feel so so so **** I wish I had never got in the car today ):
Reply 1
Just relax there is no point stressing about it to the point it makes you sick. You have a reasonable defense and you came back and left the details. Worst case scenario is you might have to chuck him some money to forget about it, best case scenario the owner shrugs it off and nothing comes of it at all. Literally just relax you will be fine.

A lot of people don't even leave their details, had someone scrape my car and nothing was left and that's what annoys people but you did the right thing there :smile:
Reply 2
You won't lose your licence, but you may find yourself paying through the nose for insurance for the next 5 years.
The owner of the car texted me and said I did him a favour as it gave him the motivation to fix all of the bangs and scrapes on his car! I paid £30 for the things he needed to fix the paint work and he is a builder anyway so he knows what to do and was so so lovely about it - all because I left him my contact details and apologised! He said very few people would’ve done that so he was appreciative that I did. It pays to be nice and honest apparently!
Reply 4
Original post by netterscards
The owner of the car texted me and said I did him a favour as it gave him the motivation to fix all of the bangs and scrapes on his car! I paid £30 for the things he needed to fix the paint work and he is a builder anyway so he knows what to do and was so so lovely about it - all because I left him my contact details and apologised! He said very few people would’ve done that so he was appreciative that I did. It pays to be nice and honest apparently!

Please bear in mind that you're contractually obliged to inform your insurer of the collision regardless of your intent to claim.

It's strongly advised to carry out your obligations incase the other party decides to go behind your back and claim.
Original post by IWMTom
Please bear in mind that you're contractually obliged to inform your insurer of the collision regardless of your intent to claim.

It's strongly advised to carry out your obligations incase the other party decides to go behind your back and claim.

it sounds as if the matter has been settled to both sides' satisfaction; the builder does not sound like a massive arsepipe.
You won't lose your license over this or anything. Your insurance may go up slightly but unlikely to be much at all, especially if there is no claim.

Original post by netterscards

Original post by IWMTom

As above, make sure you tell your insurer. Even if there is not a claim they need to know. Did you get any kind of receipt for the £30? Because he could turn around and say he never got anything and claim. It's unlikely, sounds like he was nice, but people do mean things for money :redface:
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
it sounds as if the matter has been settled to both sides' satisfaction; the builder does not sound like a massive arsepipe.

Always best to cover your backside in situations like this.
Reply 8
relax, learn from your lesson and dont park in such tight spaces again. it could've been a lot worse.
Reply 9
This is a prime example of why stressing over something out of your control is pointless.

You did the right thing and it paid off.

Quick Reply

Latest