What does your university do to be more ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY?

Watch
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

What does your university do to be more
ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY?

Foreword:
Here at The Student Room, we recognise that lots of young people have got very engaged in environmental issues such as climate change, particularly through getting involved in the #YouthStrikes4Climate inspired by the Swedish teenage environmental activist, Greta Thunberg. As a result, we're starting a new project themed around nature and the environment to raise awareness about the importance of our nature and the environment we live in today! Join us today across the forum and let's get discussing about nature and the environment today!

Important Dates:
Youth Climate Strike - Friday 20th September 2019

Questions to answer:
TSR Username
What university do you attend?
What course are you doing?
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
TSR Username:
CoffeeAndPolitics

What university do you attend?
University of York

What course are you doing?
BA Social and Political Sciences - 1st Year

University of York
has a Sustainability Strategy published in November 2012 which sets out the university's plans to become more environmentally friendly.

The university has pledged to do the following:
1) Embed sustainability in the institutional culture: promote sustainable working and living practices and make sustainability core to our structures, governance, decision-making and operational processes.
2) Create and disseminate understanding of sustainability: lead in generating the knowledge to enhance sustainability in society and embed sustainability in the curriculum and professional development provided to the university community.
3) Achieve widespread recognition for best practice and innovation in sustainability: be recognised as an exemplar of good practice in sustainability.
4) Enhance biodiversity and minimise our environmental footprint: be more effective in our use of resources and make large reductions in use of natural resources, in carbon emissions and waste production.

Other environmental developments:
1) Carbon management plan: targets set above HEFCE requirements
2) Waste management: increasing recycling rates (already achieved zero to landfill from main bins)
3) Sustainable travel incentives: reduction in car use against an increase in staff and student numbers. Students and staff can easily access both Campus East and West via a frequent public transport service or by cycling around the campuses.
4) Green initiatives: e.g. York Print Plus reduction in personal printers and introduction of 100% recycled paper
5) Catering contracts: use of local produce and seasonal foods
6) Staff and student promotions: including Student Switch Off campaign in Colleges and Green Impact teams within departments and Student groups and societies
7) Sustainable development: Minimum BREEAM Very Good status for new buildings on campus
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Bump
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They don't bother giving out proper contracts, thus saving on paper :laugh:
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is a green league table for unis: https://peopleandplanet.org/university-league

New unis doing well, which I guess is easy when your buildings are built from brand new materials which insulate, made possible by your uni being about 3 weeks old.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
I echo the above and agree that the quality of advice given by most careers advisors at schools aren't what people necessarily expect.
Most schools don't even pay for trained careers advisers to interview A level students anymore, a nominated teacher will normally give UCAS advice, along with being a PE teacher or whatever. Budgets in schools have been cut so much that careers advisers are now mainly employed to work with those young people most in danger of becoming NEET (not in education, employment or training) - I've heard it said that A level students don't need careers advice because they "should be smart enough to find out the answers themselves".

That's one reason why TSR has become so popular, it's accessible to everyone
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
04MR17
Keele
Education and History

Keele University does a lot of marketing on how sustainable it is, and the ethos of the community there really is caring about the environment. There is more to be done but it's fairly good for environment stuff. It's ranked 18th on the list linked to above.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (49)
31.41%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.18%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.15%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.97%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
26.28%

Watched Threads