The Student Room Group

Study of ‘ A Handmaid’s Tale’

Hello there, I know that I am about to start my A levels and I chose English Literature. I have been informed that the Handmaid’s Tale is the first thing we are going to be studying and would just love some context behind it. I would love some key information that would just help me come to grips with it and start of well! :smile:
Original post by acheloisina
Hello there, I know that I am about to start my A levels and I chose English Literature. I have been informed that the Handmaid’s Tale is the first thing we are going to be studying and would just love some context behind it. I would love some key information that would just help me come to grips with it and start of well! :smile:

I really love the book. :smile:
It’s a dystopian story, set in a world where women are either Handmaids, Wives, Econowives or Martha’s. This happens after a religious group took over America because of a drop in birth rates and increased violence towards women.
Basically women are confined to child bearing or housewife roles and the story focuses on June, now called Offred because handmaids are forced to take the name of their commanders.
Original post by S.carter
I really love the book. :smile:
It’s a dystopian story, set in a world where women are either Handmaids, Wives, Econowives or Martha’s. This happens after a religious group took over America because of a drop in birth rates and increased violence towards women.
Basically women are confined to child bearing or housewife roles and the story focuses on June, now called Offred because handmaids are forced to take the name of their commanders.

Thankyou so much!!!

Quick Reply

Latest