I can't stand medical school, feel like I'm a slave to my control-freak parents Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
The title sums it up, I literally have no idea what to do.

I'm permanently tired and exhausted. I seriously lack motivation to do simple tasks like cleaning and cooking, never mind studying. I even lack motivation to do the things I love the most. It's as if I've lost interest in everything. If I had it my way, I think I'd just sleep all day. This whole medicine thing is leaving me drained.

It took me three years to get into medical school. I had excellent GCSE's but underperformed in my A-levels, despite consistently doing well in tests, etc. Contrary to what most people think when I tell them this, I actually put in an insane amount of work into my A-levels. It’s just that I made a tonne of stupid mistakes in my exams. I started to seek more independence in Year 12 & 13, but my parents became more and more controlling (to the point at which I started to feel somewhat depressed). I’m unsure whether my results and personal situation where interlinked, nevertheless, I took a gap year to re-sit some A-level modules to finally get a decent set of grades. My parents didn’t allow me to do anything during this gap year unfortunately. I just read and re-read revision textbooks and that's it. One thing I was finally allowed to do was get a job, although my parents capped the number of hours I could work.

After my gap year, I did biochemistry at a decent uni for a single year. It was a tough year but I got a decent set of results by the end of it. I managed to transfer to another uni, into the first year of medicine.

I’ve now completed the my first year of medicine and have many more years to go. I just feel constantly exhausted and feel like life itself is a burden, everything seems to require so much effort, sometimes I can’t even be bothered to shower because feel too tired to do so.

The only reason I’m studying medicine is because my parents forced me into it, something they now deny. For years in a row, my parents would speak about nothing else other than medicine. Any of my career suggestions were dismissed and ridiculed as stupid. Before anyone says this, my parents are not Asian 😂

The thing is, I’ve always hated biology, I know it and so do my parents. Why they actively forced me into a biology-based course who knows.. In year 13 I accepted the fact that I was going to end up on some sort of biological course and so I dropped maths -this is possibly the worst decision of my life. Having said that I achieved a decent grade in AS maths, plus dropping maths did ease my workload since I still had very difficult subjects to worry about.

After my gap-year, my parents constantly moaned that I'm stupid for not getting into med school. Fast forward 2 years, I’ve completed and passed my first year of medical school, and now my parents are complaining that I'm at a terrible uni and that I should’ve stayed on my previous course. They’re saying I should've done economics/finance/engineering - WTF? I mean surely this is a joke, I feel like I’m so done with everything right now. Not only was I forced into medicine, I wasted so much time for the sake of my parents, and this is what I get.

I’ve always wanted to be a pilot, I told my parents so many damn times but they wouldn’t ever listen. It’s too dangerous, not a respected profession, gives you a poor social status, etc. Firstly, flying is significantly safer than driving, and secondly, social status is not something that I’m concerned about. I just want to be in a job that I can actually enjoy. As a kid I spent so much time on flight simulators and around aircraft museums, I just know it’s right for me. I've spoken to many pilots on career-days at school and I just know it is something I would really enjoy and love to do. The passion I have for aviation is something that I don't have for medicine.

Here’s the bottom line, my parents support me financially. In fact I’m entirely dependent on them - they pay all my uni fees (and everything on top of that). I’d happily take out a student loan but nooo that’s not allowed

Honestly I wish I came from a more disadvantaged background. I’m controlled more than a typical 16 year old would be. I can’t leave the house much to see friends, when I do, I have to call my parents every 2 hours to inform them that I haven’t been murdered. If I’m out past 7/8 PM, then they get incredibly angry because anytime past that time is not safe. I feel like I haven’t even had a life to be honest. All my friends are constantly going to festivals, visiting places and countries - I just feel like I’m a hostage to my parents. They say that I’m too young to be doing stuff like that. They're apparently scared for me because I’m too stupid and not independent My father is literally the one that stuck his hand inside an airport X-Ray machine because his rucksack fell onto an unclean section of the belt as it entered the x-ray machine. (he has serious germ OCD). FML I didn’t even think that something like that would even be possible for someone with a brain. I honestly can’t believe they’re afraid to let me leave the house when they do so much stupid stuff like this.

Let’s cut to the chase, I could keep writing and writing, wha this is really just the tip of the iceberg. The extent of my parents’ control is killing me, never mind the stress of an intense university course that I am not enjoying.

Given that my parents are literally paying for everything right now, should I milk it and finish this medical course? I mean that’s going to be another 5 years of misery. I’ll be 26 by the time I finish. Or would it be better to drop out, cut ties with my parents (there’s no reasoning with them at all), and focus on my dream of becoming a pilot? My urge to do the latter is overwhelming but I’ll have a huge problem with accommodation and financing a pilot training programme.

The sensible thing to do I think would be to finish the course and then find a way to start pilot training, although that's just so long and the life I'm living right now is no life.

I’m actually so lost. For anyone that made it this far, thank you so much. Any advice would be dearly appreciated
-Quava-
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Drop out and go be a pilot.
-Quava-
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It's hard to believe you're not South Asian. :rofl:
MedicPls
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I honestly think that, although it may seem hard to do after a whole year of med school and also the biomed course, you should drop out and become a pilot.
Follow your dream, live your passion. Pilots get a good wage and their social status is absolutely fine. If you go into medicine despite your passion for being a pilot, I think that you’ll regret it for the rest of your life.
Good luck man, really hope things go your way.
Lostx
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Sounds like a tough situation you’re in. Do what you want. Don’t be swayed by your parents. Completing Medicine will be difficult if your heart’s not in it. Even more so, if being a pilot is what you want to do, then life as a doctor will wear you down. Go for your dreams and become a pilot! What’s more is the fact that being a pilot is not a job which is frowned upon. I’m sure your parents would prefer you to be happy rather than grinding you down, becoming depressed and burned out.
Akeloz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Being a doctor is hard. Going through med school is hard. If you don’t have the passion for it I can only imagine how painful it is for you. And I know how you feel. My parents (especially my mother) really want me to go into medicine and literally looks down upon any other career choice. I have a passion for politics and international relations and that’s what I want to do for Uni and for the rest of my life but trying to convince them is impossible, so I say sod it. Why bother?

At the end of the day it’s you who is living your life. Remember that. It’s not your parents having to go to and sit through these lectures you really couldn’t care for. It’s not your parents who are going to have to study something for 5 years that doesn’t bring them joy. It’s not your parents who will have to practice for the next 30 odd years while dreaming of flying. It’s you. So do what YOU want to do.

Let passion be your guide. Not your parents expectations.

I hope you find happiness and end up doing something that makes you content, happy and excited.

Sending love your way

Good luck ✨
Hii5
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm echoing everyone else's response's here, but drop out and become a pilot.

Theres no way you could finish the degree and leave with a sound/stable mental state. Medicine is one of the toughest degrees so I cant imagine anyone who doesn't have a passion for it, not going absolutely insane trying to complete the degree. There are people with a passion for medicine who develop anxiety/depression whilst on the course, let alone people who dont have this passion.

You will thank yourself in many years to come for following your dreams. I know it may be difficult to see but I'm sure your parents want the best for you: they're just pushy and unwilling to hear you opinion because they think they know what's best for you. In the future they'll reflect and realise their mistakes once they see how happy you are when you've achieved your dreams and become a pilot
2500_2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

I'm permanently tired and exhausted. I seriously lack motivation to do simple tasks like cleaning and cooking, never mind studying. I even lack motivation to do the things I love the most. It's as if I've lost interest in everything. If I had it my way, I think I'd just sleep all day. This whole medicine thing is leaving me drained.

It took me three years to get into medical school. I had excellent GCSE's but underperformed in my A-levels, despite consistently doing well in tests, etc. Contrary to what most people think when I tell them this, I actually put in an insane amount of work into my A-levels. It’s just that I made a tonne of stupid mistakes in my exams. I started to seek more independence in Year 12 & 13, but my parents became more and more controlling (to the point at which I started to feel somewhat depressed). I’m unsure whether my results and personal situation where interlinked, nevertheless, I took a gap year to re-sit some A-level modules to finally get a decent set of grades. My parents didn’t allow me to do anything during this gap year unfortunately. I just read and re-read revision textbooks and that's it. One thing I was finally allowed to do was get a job, although my parents capped the number of hours I could work.

After my gap year, I did biochemistry at a decent uni for a single year. It was a tough year but I got a decent set of results by the end of it. I managed to transfer to another uni, into the first year of medicine.

I’ve now completed the my first year of medicine and have many more years to go. I just feel constantly exhausted and feel like life itself is a burden, everything seems to require so much effort, sometimes I can’t even be bothered to shower because feel too tired to do so.

The only reason I’m studying medicine is because my parents forced me into it, something they now deny. For years in a row, my parents would speak about nothing else other than medicine. Any of my career suggestions were dismissed and ridiculed as stupid. Before anyone says this, my parents are not Asian 😂

The thing is, I’ve always hated biology, I know it and so do my parents. Why they actively forced me into a biology-based course who knows.. In year 13 I accepted the fact that I was going to end up on some sort of biological course and so I dropped maths -this is possibly the worst decision of my life. Having said that I achieved a decent grade in AS maths, plus dropping maths did ease my workload since I still had very difficult subjects to worry about.

After my gap-year, my parents constantly moaned that I'm stupid for not getting into med school. Fast forward 2 years, I’ve completed and passed my first year of medical school, and now my parents are complaining that I'm at a terrible uni and that I should’ve stayed on my previous course. They’re saying I should've done economics/finance/engineering - WTF? I mean surely this is a joke, I feel like I’m so done with everything right now. Not only was I forced into medicine, I wasted so much time for the sake of my parents, and this is what I get.

I’ve always wanted to be a pilot, I told my parents so many damn times but they wouldn’t ever listen. It’s too dangerous, not a respected profession, gives you a poor social status, etc. Firstly, flying is significantly safer than driving, and secondly, social status is not something that I’m concerned about. I just want to be in a job that I can actually enjoy. As a kid I spent so much time on flight simulators and around aircraft museums, I just know it’s right for me. I've spoken to many pilots on career-days at school and I just know it is something I would really enjoy and love to do. The passion I have for aviation is something that I don't have for medicine.

Here’s the bottom line, my parents support me financially. In fact I’m entirely dependent on them - they pay all my uni fees (and everything on top of that). I’d happily take out a student loan but nooo that’s not allowed

Honestly I wish I came from a more disadvantaged background. I’m controlled more than a typical 16 year old would be. I can’t leave the house much to see friends, when I do, I have to call my parents every 2 hours to inform them that I haven’t been murdered. If I’m out past 7/8 PM, then they get incredibly angry because anytime past that time is not safe. I feel like I haven’t even had a life to be honest. All my friends are constantly going to festivals, visiting places and countries - I just feel like I’m a hostage to my parents. They say that I’m too young to be doing stuff like that. They're apparently scared for me because I’m too stupid and not independent My father is literally the one that stuck his hand inside an airport X-Ray machine because his rucksack fell onto an unclean section of the belt as it entered the x-ray machine. (he has serious germ OCD). FML I didn’t even think that something like that would even be possible for someone with a brain. I honestly can’t believe they’re afraid to let me leave the house when they do so much stupid stuff like this.

Let’s cut to the chase, I could keep writing and writing, wha this is really just the tip of the iceberg. The extent of my parents’ control is killing me, never mind the stress of an intense university course that I am not enjoying.

Given that my parents are literally paying for everything right now, should I milk it and finish this medical course? I mean that’s going to be another 5 years of misery. I’ll be 26 by the time I finish. Or would it be better to drop out, cut ties with my parents (there’s no reasoning with them at all), and focus on my dream of becoming a pilot? My urge to do the latter is overwhelming but I’ll have a huge problem with accommodation and financing a pilot training programme.

The sensible thing to do I think would be to finish the course and then find a way to start pilot training, although that's just so long and the life I'm living right now is no life.

I’m actually so lost. For anyone that made it this far, thank you so much. Any advice would be dearly appreciated
You must be 21 now? You're obviously struggling striking out on your own. I realise it must feel hard to do that without completely cutting ties to your parents (which isn't really ideal long-term) but there are ways you can do it in smaller ways - ensuring that your second-year accommodation is 52 weeks a year and just not coming home as much, applying for student finance yourself, applying for some work where you can and setting a personal annual budget.

Ironically becoming a pilot is the hardest thing to do without some money behind you, but have you considered the RAF?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
HOW ARE YOU NOT SOUTH ASIAN DAMN!!

Student finance + a side job will be enough for you to JUST scrape by, as almost eveyrone is doing.
I'm trying to sound like a ****, but I am. Try and blackmail your parents to give you some cash, tell them you need money to pay for expensive medicine books, transfer course and use that money as a cushion to fall back on your first year of pilot school or whatever till you get finances sorted out then.

Spoiler:
Show
<p><br></p><p>Doctors/medical proffessions have the highest suicide rate out of most jobs https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-45356349</p><p>Female doctors have 4x higher cahnce to commit suicide. If you read the article, a junior doctor, who suffered depression during med school, killed herself by the end of the first week</p>
AlwaysBroke.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
ecolier
Fermion.
Badges: 17
Report 3 months ago
I didn’t read all that. Your mistake was listening to your parents in the first place. Drop out and do what you want. It doesn’t matter what your parents think because they aren’t going to live your life for you. You’re not going to stand a chance on passing medicine and you’re wasting time.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

This is a tough situation, I'm sorry you're in this position. I would've suggested taking a gap year, just to get your sanity back because studying continuously year after year can become quite a lot and you do start losing your grasp on reality.
Being a pilot is definitely respected and probably better paid than a doctor anyway. I think people are just as impressed by someone being a pilot than they are a doctor tbh. It's an incredibly expensive career choice to get into (which means it's only an option for people in your class anyway), but if that's what you wish to do, you should do it. Don't torture yourself and compromise your health and happiness for something you don't want. It's hard enough working hard for a goal you actually want to achieve, let alone one you loathe! You're going to have to bite the bullet I think. You have one life, you don't want to waste more time going down the wrong path and being in a career you don't enjoy. It sounds like it's already breaking you down. I think taking a break between switching from this course to pilot training would be a good idea, just to recollect yourself.
BigBrothersSeesU
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

As an experienced Emergency Nurse what you are describing is actually abuse. Look up 'Safeguarding'. For the sake of your sanity you need to get away from your parents as this sounds like a very destructive relationship.
jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Go and see your GP asap, the tiredness could be clinical depression / anaemia / something else.

Speak to your personal tutor / student support services at the university urgently. You clearly need to get away from your parents' control for the sake of your own well-being - they will be aware of what services can help you. They can also suggest a way forward - perhaps a year long suspension of studies while you join air cadets / look into routes to pilot training would be less like jumping off a cliff than dropping out straight away (although if you're not a student they may not be able to help you as much, so it might be worth sticking to it so you can access support through a place in halls, financial help etc). Then if that doesn't work you could look at related courses to medicine that might interest you that you could transfer to (something like bioengineering?)
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Step 1: See a GP about your depression.

Step 2: Talk to someone on the med course about how you are feeling.

The fact that you haven't used student loans is a blessing - you have all that funding available to you if you need to start uni again.

You're 21+. You're well into adulthood. You need to start making your own decisions. Hopefully your parents will respond to greater independence and assertiveness, but if they don't, **** em. Always remain civil, but you need to stand up for yourself.
jackthelad200
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
1. You sound depressed. Seek help - hopefully via uni or your GP. Being depressed will impact on your decision making process.

2. If you want to be a pilot...

I work with pilots every day. I’d suggest the following: get your self on the RN or RAF jobs websites, and follow what you need to do. I presume somewhere on TSR there’s forums on how to do best on pilot aptitude (hint, practice hand-eye co-ordination and rapid mental maths), if not try somewhere like the military aviation forum on pprune.org or navy-net.co.uk. Don’t give up on medicine until a) you’ve got your mental health under control and b) you know how you’ve done on pilot aptitude. There is no point quitting medicine without understanding how you’d do in becoming a pilot. If you fail aptitude with the Forces, this doesn’t mean you can never be a pilot, but they have a fairly well practiced process to understand if you can make it.

3. Tell your parents that their behaviour is unacceptable. Easier said than done. If not possible, perhaps try ghosting them, or just cutting contact. Harsh, but you need to break with them.
Anonymous #1
To all that replied , thank you so much, it means a lot to me and has definitely made me think. I realise that the whole parental situation is borderline abuse, and honestly I've tried so much to try and solve it, but without any luck. I'll only be able to solve the situation by starting to take control of my own life and making my own decisions. This will probably result in being completely disowned, but that's probably better than remaining in the situation I'm in. I'll definitely have to talk to a uni counsellor about the whole thing.

In the meantime, I'll explore ATPL financing options and look into pilot aptitude to see whether it'll suit me. Also I just looked and it turn out I can suspend my studies, rather than drop out, so that's great. Honestly, the main barrier right now is financing, I'll have to see what options there are. Thanks to everyone once again!
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Wow. Being a pilot is an amazing job to be in. Ik if I wanted to this my parents would be so happy and supportive, it’s a shame some parents are so controlling but honestly go for it because it is truly an amazing experience and I wanted to become a pilot too but I hate maths and physics too much 😂
Anonymous #1
(Original post by OR321)
Wow. Being a pilot is an amazing job to be in. Ik if I wanted to this my parents would be so happy and supportive, it’s a shame some parents are so controlling but honestly go for it because it is truly an amazing experience and I wanted to become a pilot too but I hate maths and physics too much 😂
Aha I'm a hell of a lot better at maths and physics than I am at biology 😂 enjoy it a lot more too .. it would probably make sense for me to be a pilot aha

It's great that you have supportive parents though, whatever you're doing with your life, I hope you're enjoying it!
tamil fever
Report 3 months ago
drop out and become a pilot.And best of luck literally.
You know what.Your parents can say whatever they want but it's your life and this life is only once.So go do what you enjoy and don't let anyone stop you when you go after your dreams.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (394)
43.78%
No (92)
10.22%
I'm not old enough (414)
46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed